Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Dazzle import problems after updating to Windows 10 version 20H2 or 2004

Last post 01-31-2021, 14:26 by gedall40. 53 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (54 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-09-2020, 13:45 808959

Dazzle import problems after updating to Windows 10 version 20H2 or 2004

Recent Windows updates introduced a problem with Dazzle imports, most often described as shaky or trembling preview.  

To fix the problem:

- Download an updated installer, from here:  https://pinnaclesys.com/download 
     - Run the downloaded file "PinnacleForDazzle_ESD.exe"
     - In the installer, select "Remove".  It's not necessary to check the box "Remove Content," but either way is okay. 
     - The installer will remove the problematic version of Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle. 
     - Plug in your Dazzle device, and run the downloaded installer again. 
     - The installer will download the update and install it.  
     - When complete, start Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle, and import from your Dazzle device. 

Note, this only fixes Intel users, for certain. 

Some AMD users will still have a problem.  Specifically:  PAL signal only,on AMD Ryzen platform, USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 port.  AMD USB 3.0 port, and Intel platform is fixed with the above build.

The AMD+PAL issue will take weeks more to fix.  We are working urgently on getting that out as soon as possible. 
  •  12-09-2020, 18:05 808984 in reply to 808959

Re: Dazzle import problems after updating to Windows 10 version 20H2 or 2004

IMO the updated driver also needs to be made available as a separate download, to cater for those who use a Dazzle device with a full version of Pinnacle Studio (and have no need for, or wish to install, the full "Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle" software)

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-09-2020, 19:58 808989 in reply to 808984

culpanr:

IMO the updated driver also needs to be made available as a separate download, to cater for those who use a Dazzle device with a full version of Pinnacle Studio (and have no need for, or wish to install, the full "Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle" software)

Agreed.  I have the full version of Studio.  I need the drivers for the Dazzle by themselves.  

•  12-09-2020, 20:32 808992 in reply to 808989

clh:
    culpanr:

Agreed.  I have the full version of Studio.  I need the drivers for the Dazzle by themselves.  

I have tried downloading the whole of Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle to see what drivers were in it - but encountered problems and was unable to get the updated drivers to install properly or to work...

1. If Pinnacle Studio 23 is present, the Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle installer-stub just displays a warning that it cannot proceed and exits. It isn't possible even to perform a download.
    2. I tried on another PC that only has Studio 24 Ultimate; I chose a custom install and "download only", unticking the "do not re-download installed modules box. Full download into a folder on the desktop was successful.
    3. I found the driver installer for my newer (eMPIA hardware) Dazzle device (file: DVC100.exe) launched it and it showed a dialogue stating that it was going to update my drivers from version 1.08 the version that had been installed by Studio 24). However the installation always failed - the "Finish" screen displaying a message that the installation had been interrupted!
    4. I launched Studio 24's v1.08 installer and chose to remove the existing drivers (the Dazzle device driver installation is hidden and can't be seen in the Windows "Apps and Features" list - IMO it should NOT be hidden as it should be a free choice of the user whether to uninstall those drivers if they never have need to connect any kind of Dazzle device!
    5. I then installed the new Dazzle set; the installation appeared to be successful and device manager entries changed. But the video section of the Dazzle driver was not installed (only the audio section showed in the device manager and there was a weird entry for it also in "other devices". And the Dazzle didn't show as an available device in Studio's Importer
    6. I messed around trying to force-install the driver for the video section; eventually I got it to seemingly be installed; the Dazzle device did show up in Studio's Importer but Studio hung until the Dazzle device was unplugged.

So at this moment in time the drivers that came with the updated download of Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle appear to be completely unusable with my Dazzle device; the installer fails to do a proper upgrade from v1.08, and if clean-installed having deleted the previous drivers, they don't install properly and don't work!

I've spent far too long on this for one night; I need some sleep!

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-09-2020, 21:31 808996 in reply to 808992

Yep, worthless. In short, Windows refuses to recognize these drivers as valid drivers for my Dazzle.  And my Dazzle is a brand new one I just bought in August.

I was able to remove all traces of the old drivers.  Uninstalling the Dazzle devices, and checked the "Delete software" checkbox.  Then was able to uninstall the 1.08 driver package.

I managed to get the new drivers pulled out of the Studio for Dazzle install and installed them by themselves.

When installing those drivers, they end up in  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 Driver 1.09".

I plugged the Dazzle back in and it showed up in Device Manager but with a yellow exclamation point.

I right-clicked the device and selected Update driver.  I used the "browse my computer" option to browse to the above directory.

Windows just says "Windows could not find drivers for your device."

•  12-10-2020, 8:19 809008 in reply to 808996

Results of further tests on a Dell Inspiron 15 5570 laptop (i5-8250U ./ UHD 620 graphics), Win10 Home 64 bit 20H2 - has Studio 23 (23.2.1.297 and 24 (24.0.2.219) Ultimate installed

1. The Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle installer-stub cannot be used to perform a download to obtain the drivers if Studio 23 is present (the installer reports a conflict with Studio 23 and exits). So I downloaded using a different PC and copied the driver installer over...
    2. Attempting to update the Dazzle driver uing the installer .EXE (file DazzleDVC100.exe) fails; the driver cannot be installed if the DVC100 v1.08 driver is already present; the installation appears to offer the opportunity to upgrade from 1.08 to 1.09 but always fails with an error (the "Finish" screen reports that the installation was interrupted and no changes were made).
    3. The installation of the driver 1.08 (made by Pinnacle Studio 23 or 24) is hidden and not visible in Windows "Apps and Features" or "Programs and Features". IMO this is a bad choice made by the developers (or a bug that needs addressing) as it makes maintenance of the driver difficult. By chance I found that running the installer from the Pinnacle Studio download again offers the choice "Modify/Repair/Remove" so it is possible to remove the 1.08 driver files. (The installation of the 1.09 driver is hidden too...).
    4. A cleaan-install of the 1.09 driver (having removed the Dazzle device from the Windows Device Manager (and also elected to delete the driver filrs) and uninstalling the 1.08 driver) is apparently successful.
    5. Plugging the Dazzle device in, the video secton is not properly recognised and no driver is installed - it actually appears under "Other Devices" and is incorectly labelled as an audio device!
    6. The Dazzle's audio section does get a driver installed, but it is a generic Microsoft one, not the one from the 1.09 driver set.
    7. It is possible to force-install both the video and audio drivers - Windows displays a warning stating that the drivers are not recommended as not known to work with the device. The force-install is successful (treating the entry under "Other devices" as the video section) and both then appear under "sound, video and game controllers" and using the new drivers.
    8. The Dazzle device still does not work properly:
      Pinnacle Studio 23 or 24 hang when switching to the Importer
      Multicam Capture Lite can detect the device and capture from it, but the captured audio is choppy and gets well ahead of the video (up to 30 seconds ahead in a 5 minute capture) - so the choppiness is probably dropping audio samples or whole chunks of audio
      OBS Studio recognises the Dazzle and can capture from it, however the audio suffers severe break-up periodically throughout the capture - but otherwise video and audio do stay in sync
    9. In all cases, the audio level meters of the capture application show a high residual audio level of around -15dB as if there was a loud hum or noise there, even when no audio input is connected (no significant hum or noise is heard in the PC speakers)
    When reviewing what I was able to capture, in the "clean" parts of the audio where there was no break-up or clicking/thumping due to dropped audio samples, there is a very pronounced DC offset on the captured audio; the "centrelines" of the audio on both channels are raised up in the 2positive" direction to around 0.2 when the waveform is viewed in Audacity (~ -15dB). Furthermore the positive peaks of the captured audio start to become clipped "asymmetrically" (more clipping on the positive peaks than on the negative peaks, even though the audio level isn't extremely close to the maximum (~ -6dB).

I am unsure whether the DC offset and asymmetrical clipping are due to:
    1. Hardware fault on my Dazzle device
    2. Design fault on the Dazzle device (so all Dazzle devices of this type are the same and exhibit the issue)
    3. Fault in the device driver, causeing a DC offset to be added to the signal even though it "isn't really there"
    I may try installing the Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle" software to see if the device will actually work with that... as Studio 23 and 24 don't work with it I don't have much optimism...).

Regards,
    Richard
  •  12-10-2020, 9:23 809010 in reply to 809008

I've just installed the Studio for Dazzle software on an i7 intel laptop with just PS24 on it, and then tested the Dazzle device I've just bought for capture.

It appears to work perfectly. However, the device is called Roxio!

Opening up PS24, the device isn't even recognised in the Import section, which is hardly surprising given the name....

TBH, that's as far as I'm prepared to waste my time at the moment. I would have though anyone buying a Dazzle capture device would at least expect it to work with PS24 without having to mess about with drivers.

•  12-10-2020, 11:07 809013 in reply to 809010

jjn:

I've just installed the Studio for Dazzle software on an i7 intel laptop with just PS24 on it, and then tested the Dazzle device I've just bought for capture.

It appears to work perfectly. However, the device is called Roxio!

Opening up PS24, the device isn't even recognised in the Import section, which is hardly surprising given the name....

TBH, that's as far as I'm prepared to waste my time at the moment. I would have though anyone buying a Dazzle capture device would at least expect it to work with PS24 without having to mess about with drivers.

I have just tried similar experiments - and still have not achieved satisfactory results:

1. Removed PS23 + all previous Dazzle device drivers from laptop and instead installed Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle - install successful
    2. Dazzle device had device drivers successfully installed - the video section received a driver dated 15 October 2020, and version 5.2020.0406.1015; in the Windows device manager it is identified as "Dazzle Video Capture USB Video Device" but in some programs it is identified as "Roxio Video Capture USB"!! My particular device is identified in the INF file embda_x86_x64.inf as a USB28285. The audio device is labelled in the Windows device manager as "Dazzle Video Capture USB Audio Device" and uses Microsoft in-box generic USB audio device drivers (built-in to Windows 10)
    3. Capture using the Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle software is possible, but with faults:
      When the Importer is opened and the Dazzle device is chosen, there is a loud buzz for several seconds; this diminishes over time and disapears
      Audio level during preview prior to capture is fine, but wneh capture is started, the audio level decreases to a very low level, both in the preview that is heard during the capture, and in the captured file. There is no control provided for audio levels within Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle's Importer; in the Windows sound settings the input level is shown as 100 (maximum) - but adjustments there appear to have no effect.
      No video disturbances were observed during preview or in the captured file, there were no dropped frames reported and A/V sync was retained through the whole of a 5 minute test capture
    4. Capture using Pinnacle Studio 24 is not possible; the Dazzle device is not shown in the Importer. Corel appear to have scored an own goal here!!
    5. Capture using Multicam Capture Lite is not possible; the Dazzle device is recognised as a possible video source, but cannot be opened - Multicam Capture shows a warning (error) box "Cannot start the webcam, try closing other programs that might using it"
    6. Capture using OBS Studio is possible; the same audio problem (sharp reduction of audio level while recording) as occurred when using Pinnacle STudio for Dazzle happens for OBS too.
    So there's still "some way to go" to get the Dazzle working properly here Sad

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-10-2020, 11:59 809018 in reply to 809013

FWIW I've found a workaround for the misbehaving audio level during capture:

1. Open the Windows Settings app and navigate to the sound propertes; if the input device isn't already showing as "Line (Dazzle Video Capture USB Audio Device" choose it from the list
    2. Click the "Device Properties" link for that input device so that the volume slider is displayed
    3. Go back to the Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle Importer; prepare for the capture
    4. Start the capture (don't start the source tape playing yet, or put the deck into playback pause mode)
    5. Switch to the "Device properties" screen as seen in step (2) above; give the volume slider a little "wiggle" with the mouse and set it to a suitable value (between 92 and 95 is suggested for starters). It's likely that a click will be heard as the volume changes from the silly low value to whatever is being set by the slider.
    6. Switch back to Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle; start the tape playing and observe the capture - it is possible to tweak the volume on-the-fly by switching back to the settings app "device properties" screen (IMO this control should have been made available inside the Importer)!
    7. Stop the capture when done. The previous volume setting may become lost again; for good volume in the preview or in another capture the same workaround using the Windows settings app will need to be reapplied.

It's messy, but does seem to be sort-of usable for now, both in Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle, also if recording or streaming using OBS (for example if an analogue camera was connected to the Dazzle)

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-10-2020, 14:37 809019 in reply to 809013

I'll test the audio capture again Richard, It seemed OK on a cursory test but I was more concerned about frame drops.

FWIW, I don't think the Dazzle does have volume adjustment for capture. I remember an old post which prompted me to contact Nick, but I got no response.

•  12-10-2020, 20:30 809020 in reply to 809019

I spent (wasted? Wink) some more time on this - and, having tested on four PCs and got the same results, my conclusions are as follows:

1. I was misled over what was the correct driver for my particular Dazzle hardware. The Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 driver v1.08 (auto-installed by Pinnacle Studio 23/24) seemingly supported my hardware (and these drivers were chosen when my Dazzle was plugged in). And they sort-of worked (video and audio could be captured, but with big problems, dropped frames, noises etc.). So this led me to believe incorrectly that I needed to use the updated version 1.09 of this DVC100 driver. This driver is not regarded as being compatible with my particular device and won't auto-install. A forced install seemed to work, but the device was unusable.

2. After installing Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle and seeing which device driver it auto-installed, I found that the correct driver I needed was the DazzleBDAX64 driver (this comprises an OEM video driver, but uses a generic Microsoft audio driver. After installing that driver package, plugging in the Dazzle resulted in these drivers being chosen on all four PCs

3. Pinnacle Studio versions 14 onwards do not recognise this Dazzle device as a supported capture device (it is reported by other applications as a "Roxio Video Capture USB" device); Pinnacle Studio's Importer appears to be coded very restrictively to ignore "non-Pinnacle" capture devices (even Corel-owned ones)!

4. Multicam Capture Lite detects the Dazzle device and shows it as an available video source - however it cannot be opened (IMO probably a bug in Multicam Capture)

5. The following applications I tried on at least one of the PCs do detect the Dazzle and can capture from it

• Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle (current version - based on PS23)
    • Pinnacle Studio 12
    • OBS Studio
    • Serif MoviePlus X6

6. In all applications where capture was supported, there were no dropped frames, the audio was in sync with the video (no significant offset) and no noticeabledrift in a 5 miniute capture

7. However, in all applications there is an audio level issue, when the audio device is opened or when device settings are viewed, the audio level drops sharply by approximately 20dB. However the volume slider in the Windows setings app (sound device settings) does not register any change in level. The corect audio input level can be restored by giving the slider a slight "wiggle" using the mouse. The issue happens for all apps.

8. There is a noticeable DC offset + asymmetrical clipping of the audio waveform if the captured file is opened in Audacity.

• The DC offset is in the positive direction ("centre line" of the waveform is lifted above the X-axis by approx. 0.1 (-20dB) with the volume near maximum (slider value of 96)). The size of the DC offset varies with the setting of the input level slider
    • The DC offset remains if the audio source (tape player etc.) is disconnected from the RCA terminals of the Dazzle - so it's internal to the Dazzle, an artefact (bug) of th device driver or an incompatibility between the generic Microsoft USB audio driver and the Dazzle device.
    • The asymmetrical clipping affects the positive-going peaks of the waveform when it reaches around -6dB; it is a soft clipping (compression or limiting) and is much less apparent on the negative-going peaks of the same passage of audio. A trained audiophile ear would probably hear it, but in most cases would probably be masked by the relatively poor quality of the audio source (e.g. old analogue tape).

So in conclusion - once the correct driver for my device was identified and installed, video capture is fine but there are issues with the audio capture; the most serious is the unwanted reduction of audio level (and need to use the input volume control buried in the Windows settings app to restore the wante levels.

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-13-2020, 17:55 809118 in reply to 809020

culpanr:

I spent (wasted? Wink) some more time on this - and, having tested on four PCs and got the same results, my conclusions are as follows:

1. I was misled over what was the correct driver for my particular Dazzle hardware. The Dazzle Video Capture DVC100 X64 driver v1.08 (auto-installed by Pinnacle Studio 23/24) seemingly supported my hardware (and these drivers were chosen when my Dazzle was plugged in). And they sort-of worked (video and audio could be captured, but with big problems, dropped frames, noises etc.). So this led me to believe incorrectly that I needed to use the updated version 1.09 of this DVC100 driver. This driver is not regarded as being compatible with my particular device and won't auto-install. A forced install seemed to work, but the device was unusable.

2. After installing Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle and seeing which device driver it auto-installed, I found that the correct driver I needed was the DazzleBDAX64 driver (this comprises an OEM video driver, but uses a generic Microsoft audio driver. After installing that driver package, plugging in the Dazzle resulted in these drivers being chosen on all four PCs

Thanks for the tip on the driver.

I went ahead and installed the BDA driver and see the same things as you.

Windows recognizes the Dazzle device and it appears on Device Manager as "Dazzle Video Capture USB Video Device" and "Dazzle Video Capture USB Audio Device."  The Video device is using a Corel branded driver dated 10/15/2020.  The Audio device uses a generic Microsoft USB Audio driver (though it is a newer driver, dated 7/7/2020).

Pinnacle Studio 23 will not recognize the Dazzle device on the Import tab at all.

Multicam Capture Lite recognizes it, as a "Roxio Video Capture USB" device, but will not allow enabling it.  Multicam gives an error like it thinks the device is in use when trying to enable it.

OBS Studio recognizes it, again as Roxio and WILL record from it mostly ok.  The old video stuttering is gone, but there are interlace line artifacts EVERWHERE.  Also, as Richard said, audio volume comes and goes.  I did not play around with anything on the audio like Richard did, I just noticed that it sometimes dropped, and later would come back to normal, and then would drop again later, repeat.

The Windows 10 built-in "Camera" app would recognize the old drivers and even let me record from it through the Camera app (still with all of the issues the old drivers had, video jitteriness and audio noise, but Camera still recognized and allowed recording from the Dazzle).  With the new driver, the Windows 10 Camera app no longer recognizes the Dazzle.

•  12-18-2020, 17:57 809484 in reply to 809118

Quick question for a forum moderator, or someone in the know.  I'm not familiar with the back end of how these forums work.

Are any of the moderators Pinnacle or Corel employees, or otherwise are these forums seen by Pinnacle/Corel employees?

I'm wondering if our posts in this thread are enough notice back to Pinnacle that there is still an issue they need to resolve, or should we report it to Pinnacle technical support ourselves too?

Thank you! 

•  12-18-2020, 18:53 809485 in reply to 809484

None of the moderators here are employed by Pinnacle/Corel in any way. If someone is an employee it will be clearly indicated in their profile.

I don't think Pinnacle/Corel employees ever look at these forums as part of their workload. In effect, the moderators act as a filter, alerting Pinnace of serious issues, but we are reluctant to do that unless we can reproduce an issue ourselves - so if none of us own a Dazzle, for example, we can't test it. The same goes for a specific hardware issue with a PC - I don't have an AMD card, for example. I also don't have unlimited time to research other people's problems that are poorly explained, nor am I motivated to do so if they are presented in an aggressive manner.

In this particular case I have bought a "new" Dazzle myself  (mostly out of curiousity) and it doesn't work properly. I've been told that a fix is on its way.

However, I think that people demanding action and refunds though the support channel will ramp up the pressure to make sure the fix is done quickly and properly.

•  12-19-2020, 14:20 809510 in reply to 809485

BTW, I've just tested my Dazzle with the new software available on the download site and I can confirm Richard's findings earlier in this thread - the massive drop in input level is a huge problem IMHO, as is the fact that it doesnt get recognised with the latest build of PS24.
  •  12-20-2020, 13:42 809593 in reply to 809510

I'm curious whether, in addition to the unwanted drop in audio level, whether anyone who has tried the new (BDA) drivers with recent Dazzle hardware sees the other audio defects that I see here:

• DC offset - Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle's Importer + any other audio capture application that has a VU bargraph shows a constant (quite high) residual reading of around -15 to -20dB even with nothing connected to the Dazzle's audio input. Load a captured video file into Audacity to view the audio track (or use Audacity to make an audio recording from the Dazzle) and the waveform has a significant DC offset (in the positive direction). With the Windows 10 recording volume set to 92, I see this residual level shown on the VU bargraph at around -20dB and on the waveform itself as about +0.1.
    • Asymetrical "distortion" of the waveform - positive-going peaks appear to be clipped or compressed more severely than the negative-going peaks (I think it's compression rather than clipping/limiting as when zoomed in the tops of the waveform aren't flattened or "bitten off")

I've attached a screen-grab from Audacity with a captured video file opened, that illusttates the two audio defects:

• Before capture, the Windows recording level slider in the Settings app was was set to 92
    • When recording started, the unwanted sharp drop in audio level occurred (there was also a noticeable audible click as the level dropped (spike visible at the beginning of the waveform)
    • I then "wiggled" the Windows recording volume slider to restore the recording volume, leaving it at 92 (that correction in the level is seen about 5 seconds into the recording - increase of gain + the DC offset becomes clearly visible).
    • At around 2 min 40 sec some music started up on the soundtack; observe hoe the top edge of the waveform is "flattened" much more than the bottom edge. The increase in level at around 3 minutes was the result of trying a higher setting fior the Windows recordiong volume slider - pushing it up to 100 (monitored audio became distorted) and then setting it back to 92 again.
    Using Windows 10 Home 64 bit 20H2 (build 19042.685). Problem does not appear to depend on PC hadware as it happens on four different PCs of a variety of ages and specificaions.

Dazzle device is using the following drivers:

For the video capture section ("Dazzle Video Capture USB Video Device") - Corel driver - version 5.2020.406.1015, dated 15 October 2020 - installed from the file DazzleBDAX64.exe provided in the updated Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle ESD download
    For the audio capture section ("Dazzle Video Capture USB Audio Device") - Microsoft driver (Windows 10 in-box generic USB audio driver) - version 10.0.19041.388, dared 7 July 2020

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-28-2020, 4:09 809906 in reply to 809593

So having contacted the helpline to try and return the Dazzle I was told, any purchase after 30 days is not returnable

"note the refund process only works within 30 days after the purchase and only for the purchase made at the Pinnacle site" 

Not great for me.Tongue Tied

•  12-28-2020, 6:29 809912 in reply to 809906

Yorkie:
    So having contacted the helpline to try and return the Dazzle I was told, any purchase after 30 days is not returnable

"note the refund process only works within 30 days after the purchase and only for the purchase made at the Pinnacle site" 

IMO you should still have a right to a refund under UK sales legislation ("fitness for purpose"). Your local Citizens Advice may have some helpful information available... I am guessing that there could be a few others "ending up in this same boat" (maybe purchased Dazzles in the Black Friday sales as Christmas presents - so the 30 days "no-quibble guarantee" period was over even before the box had been opened)!

I'm going to hang on to mine so I can continue to make sure the issue doesn't "drop off the radar", and to test any further driver updates if/when they appear.

Regards,
    Richard

•  12-29-2020, 14:00 809937 in reply to 809906

Yorkie:

Did you buy it directly from Pinnacle's web site, or from another vendor?

If another vendor, check their return policy.  At least in the U.S., many vendors have extended return policies for the Christmas holiday.

I bought my Dazzle from Amazon on Prime Day back in October (I think that's when).  Luckily, Amazon had already extended their return policy at that point to January 31, 2021.  So I still have my Dazzle, but if I don't see a fix for full Studio by Jan 15 then I'll be returning it to Amazon. 

Which is a shame because it was a HECK of a deal on Amazon for Prime Day. 

•  01-02-2021, 3:52 810072 in reply to 809937

I bought it from Pinnacle direct off the website and chatting to someone on the website they said that it was only up to 30 days from purchase which was around the same time as yourself.

I might see if I have an old Windows 10 install from prior to the 'bad' updates and see if that works.

•  01-02-2021, 4:20 810085 in reply to 810072

30 days is the "no reason" return guarantee.

Regardless of this "guarantee" offered by Corel they must comply with the 2 years legal guarantee in EU (since you're no longuer in the EU, I guess UK has the same kind of guarantee) in case of a dysfunction.

•  01-02-2021, 11:09 810127 in reply to 810085

saby:

30 days is the "no reason" return guarantee.

Regardless of this "guarantee" offered by Corel they must comply with the 2 years legal guarantee in EU (since you're no longuer in the EU, I guess UK has the same kind of guarantee) in case of a dysfunction.

Agreed.  I would think they're still required to provide a functioning piece of equipment.

In the U.S., if I didn't get satisfaction from the company I would file a complaint with my state's Attorney General Consumer Protection division.  @Yorkie, I would hope there's some sort of equivalent where you're at.

•  01-02-2021, 11:21 810128 in reply to 808959

Well, Pinnacle tech support is absolutely worthless.  I finally wrote them, mentioning that I had full Studio, that I had found the info on the updated version of the software that comes with it but that it still didn't work with full Studio, and asked for a status on when a new driver would be available to make it work with full Studio.

Their first response that was that I should install the "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD" software anyway to do the Dazzle captures, then import that video into Studio.

So I replied and reminded them that "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD" won't install on a PC that already has full Studio on it.

Their next reply was that I should UNINSTALL full Studio and simply use "Dazzle DVD Recorder HD" instead.

How asinine!  So, I've already paid them a good chunk of money for full Studio, and now they want me to abandon it and downgrade to a piece of software that is less capable, instead of them supporting their product like they should be.

No mention at all of anything like "we're working on it, but in the meantime you could do this...," much less any kind of mention of a timeframe. 

This makes me question if they're even working on a fix, yet another driver update or whatever, to make it work with full Studio. 

•  01-05-2021, 2:17 810277 in reply to 810128

Can I check if there has been any further progress on this matter? I've been holding off because of the various holidays involved, but I think I need to take this up with Corel myself in my role as a moderator of this forum.

The situation as I see I is:

• When the Windows 10 2004 and 20H0 updates were rolled out, this broke the "New" Dazzle hardware completely, so that it didn't work at all.
    • A new version of the software "Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle" was released. The device can now be properly recognised by this software, but even with the new software the audio levels drop dramatically when capture starts. There is also a suspicion of a DC offset/distortion on the audio.
    • The Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle software is a completely crippled bit of software, but you have to remove PS23 to install it and can't then re-install it over the top and retain the Dazzle function.
    • PS24 doesn't recognise the Dazzle, even when the "PS for D" software is installed.
    • Pinnacle support are refusing to offer refunds to anyone who bought the software over 30 days ago, and yet it is not fit for purpose and many people will have only opened the device on Christmas Morning as it was  present.
    • People were lead to believe that a fix was forthcoming, and yet there has been no acknoldgement of the further audio issues reported.
  •  01-05-2021, 14:14 810317 in reply to 810277

jjn:

Can I check if there has been any further progress on this matter? I've been holding off because of the various holidays involved, but I think I need to take this up with Corel myself in my role as a moderator of this forum.

The situation as I see I is:

• When the Windows 10 2004 and 20H0 updates were rolled out, this broke the "New" dazle hardware completly so that it didn't work.
    • A new version of the software "Pinacle Studo for Dazzle" was released. The device can now be properly recognised by this software, but evenm with the new software the Audio levels drop dramatically when capture starts. There is also a suspision of a DC offset/distiortion on the audio.
    • The Pinnacle Studio for Dazzle software is a completly cripped bit of software, but you have toi removes PS23 to install it and can't then re-install it over the top and retain the Dazzle function.
    • PS24 doesn't recognise the Dazzle even when the "PS for D" software is installed.
    • Pinnacle support are refusing to offer refunds to anyone who bought the software over 30 days ago, and yet it is not fit for purpose and many people will have only opened the device on Christmas Morning as it was  present.
    • People were lead to believe that a fix was forthcoming, and yet there has been no acknoldgement of the further audio issues reported.

That would be fantastic and greatly appreciated jjn!  THANK YOU!!

One general clarification, with added details to support...

To sum it up, the new Dazzle is still not compatible with full Pinnacle Studio, any version (or at least PS 23 AND 24).  I'm not sure I would specifically mention PS23 or PS24 in the 3rd and 4th bullets.  Possibly just keep it generic as "full Pinnacle Studio."  Or at the very least, say "PS23 and PS24" in both bullets.

The only answer Pinnacle support is giving us right now is to remove full PS and install PS for D, which is not acceptable.  (I just got another message from Pinnacle support today reiterating that I do this even after I previously replied telling them I had full PS 23 and would not downgrade to PS for D.)

In more detail specifically about bullets 3 & 4...

I personally have PS23, but one or more of the other users have PS24.  So while we are reporting issues with different versions of full PS, I'm guessing the same issues apply to both.

More specifically... 

For the 3rd bullet, I can't confirm since I don't have PS24, but I'm guessing that PS for D also cannot be installed over PS24, nor can PS24 be reinstalled over the top of PS for D.  Actually, I'm not sure any of us have even tried reinstalling full PS 23 or 24 over PS for D.

4th bullet, my PS23 also will not recognize the Dazzle with the new drivers.

Also in the 4th bullet, "even when the "PS for D" software is installed" is not quite correct.  As mentioned above, I don't think any of us have both PS for D and full PS 23 or 24 installed on the same PC.  Those of us with full PS 23 or 24 have extracted the new drivers from the PS for D install and installed those drivers by themselves and are trying to use them with PS23/24.

If you could get any traction on this that would be great!

In summary,

...for people who bought the Dazzle and ARE using the PS for D software that came with it, most of their issues are like resolved except for the additional audio issues (your 2nd bullet),

...but for full PS23/24 users (actually, any version newer than 16 as someone reported earlier), Pinnacle still needs to make a driver update that allows the Dazzle to be recognized by full Pinnacle Studio (and fixes the additional audio issues).

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 (54 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy