Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle studio 23 "time remapping" extreemly slow performance

Last post 4 hours, 37 minutes ago by Candive. 51 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (52 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-09-2020, 21:04 801609

Pinnacle studio 23 "time remapping" extreemly slow performance

See this image of taskmanager, HW acceleration using CUDA is not working during timelapse in project. It goes very very slow to render without CUDA. even on a core i9. I have tried to change from CUDA (RTX 2080 TI) to Intel, but it produces the same slow results. It is taking many hours to render a small 20 minutes clip!

Please help!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3iskMi7tQFvUcnVVA

EDIT:

I have done what you said and uploaded to the cloud,

Included in the following link is:

* All three test projects described below

* The source video test from Pinnacle Screen Capture

* The exported video files from each of the three projects. 

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15NjmJBY9kMcFVa5sPE2N-3CpeWW2nvzx?usp=sharing

I did very few simple steps to reproduce.

1st test:

1. Use Pinnacle screen capture and capture full screen 2560x1440, it is saved to wmv file with 1920x1080p by pinnacle screen capture application. (saved as Capture_test.wmv)

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (saved as timeremap.Movie.axp)

3. Apply time remap to the clip, no key frames, 500% speed up.

4. Shrink the timeline to match the new length of video.

5. Export. Observe very slow. (Saved as timeremap.mp4)

I used 1 minute and 53 seconds to export a resulting clip of 12 seconds. 0% GPU load. (That is over 13 times slower than real time!!! Imagine a long timelaps, it takes forever to finish)

2nd test:

1. Use same clip as in previous test, no new capture

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (Saved as noremap.Movie.axp)

3. Export the project without any time remapping applied.

4. Observe fast export

I used just 9 seconds, to export a resulting clip of 60 seconds.(saved as noremap.movie.mp4)

3rd test:

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (Saved as transissions.Movie.axp)

3. split clip and apply transision effects multiple times (10)

4. Export the clip.(saved as transissions.movie.mp4)

5. Observe fast export. 

I used just 25 seconds, to export a resulting clip of 60 seconds.(up to 60% load on GPU during export (GTX 2080TI)

PS. I also tried the suggestion to export clip, then use the exported clip to time remap. I created a new project and imported the exported clip from the second test, applied time remap speed increase 500% and exported the project, It is still just as slow as the 1st test. 

•  07-10-2020, 2:45 801616 in reply to 801609

Re: Pinnacle studio 23 "time remapping" speed increase "CUDA" not working

Time remapping just the removal or duplication of whole frames. I'm not sure Cuda can help with that. Have you let the time remap playback render?
  •  07-10-2020, 3:23 801618 in reply to 801616

I don't know, all I know it is going extreemely slowly (1-2 frames pr second) to render, with 0% gpu usage and 100% cpu usage (core i9). When the timelapse section ends, it resumes GPU usage and the render speed increases many fold. The video rendered successfully in the end, but it took hours to render a 20 minutes clip!
  •  07-10-2020, 9:37 801625 in reply to 801618

On my computer (specs below), timeline rendering is done with the CPU (mine is around 55%) and GPU almost 0%. With Optimzation set to 85, Render while Play Automatic, RAM usage approaches 6GB as I play back the short clip with CPU 75% GPU20%. I guess Time Remapping is not GPU accelerated.

And yes, it is slow depending on what Remapping you are doing. 

What I have noticed is that memory usage with just one 30 second UHD 4K 25fps click with only Time Remapping is using 5.2GB's of RAM on my 32GB RAM system. And this after the clip has rendered on the timeline....

UGH!

•  07-10-2020, 10:43 801629 in reply to 801625

I've experienced the same thing with the latest Intel processor and no video card. As stated in the forum before, I always copy the remapped clip to a new project, export it at the main projects time line settings, then replace the remapped clip in my main project with the exported clip.  This allows much faster editing and exporting of my main project.
  •  07-14-2020, 5:07 801723 in reply to 801609

Must be possible to render also this using GPU accelleration, after all, encoding is encoding, should't matter where the frames are coming from, in this cases every nth other frame in a time remapping to create a timelapse. The extreme poor performance must be related to a bug, Is there a proper bug tracker where we can report issues, or is this forum the best tool, and hope for the best that it is seen by the devs?
  •  07-14-2020, 5:58 801724 in reply to 801723

Fullmakt:
    Must be possible to render also this using GPU accelleration, after all, encoding is encoding, should't matter where the frames are coming from, in this cases every nth other frame in a time remapping to create a timelapse. The extreme poor performance must be related to a bug, Is there a proper bug tracker where we can report issues, or is this forum the best tool, and hope for the best that it is seen by the devs?

I am sure that it might be possible, but unless an effect/transition/etc is programmed specifically to make use of a GPU (there is AMD, Nvidia and Intel to consider), then I would love for the CPU to be leveraged heavily.

I don't know if you have experienced using other NLE's but some things are leveraged for certain hardware and not others. 

It is not a bug, but the way it was coded. 

•  07-14-2020, 6:06 801725 in reply to 801724

Tony P:

It is not a bug, but the way it was coded. 

Not a bug, agreed. But there is plenty of room for optimization, IMO.

•  07-14-2020, 6:44 801726 in reply to 801725

With the increase of multicore CPU's and GPU's with massive compute units, I too would love for software to take advantage of all of this computing power.

The wheel turns slowly in this, not only with Pinnacle, but other software. 

Right now, it seems that a lot of software are behind the hardware unless you use 3D modeling/rendering software. 

•  07-14-2020, 7:40 801727 in reply to 801726

Cuda is working here and giving a MASSIVE boost in render speed with Time remapping.

I took a simple trimmed clip and slowed it down from 1'30 to 5 minutes. I didn't have Playback Optimaisation on. Exporting from a 720p mp4 clip to 1080p

With Cuda turned off, export took 2'30", the CPU was running at nearly 100% and the GPU at around 16%

With Cuda turned on export took 54", the CPU was running around 80% and the GPU abouit 20%

The OP reports a very slow render. I'd like to know the exact circumstamces - type of time remap, source and export formats and most importantly if any other effects are also applied.

•  07-14-2020, 9:26 801728 in reply to 801726

Tony P:

With the increase of multicore CPU's and GPU's with massive compute units, I too would love for software to take advantage of all of this computing power.

The wheel turns slowly in this, not only with Pinnacle, but other software. 

Right now, it seems that a lot of software are behind the hardware unless you use 3D modeling/rendering software. 

Unless it's support for the latest video game, then there is support within weeks..... 

•  07-14-2020, 23:21 801746 in reply to 801727

I have uploaded some screenshots here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V8u5JzZ7EZiQ4Ee18

* The details of the source clip (output from Pinnacle Screen Capture)

* The Time Remapping settings

* The timeline where you can see the source clip is split up and time remapping applied to different parts of it, and also voice over commentry added

* The Windows task manager where you can see the gpu load drop to nothing, during render of time remapping section during final export, and also this parts of the export goes very slowly (1-2 frames pr second).

I have tried different export formats and resolutions, it makes no difference at all.

Final thing to add is that I have a crop applied to the whole clip using the crop icon in the lower right of the preview screen, to remove some application borders from the screen capture. 

•  07-14-2020, 23:42 801747 in reply to 801746

And for those that are saying this is NOT a bug, that is very frustrating. 13x slower than realtime export can not be expected on a top of the line PC. I have a core i9 powerhouse paired with RTX 2080TI. and it renders with 1-2 FRAMES pr second. That means one second of video takes 15-30 seconds to render!!! This can hardly be the expected performance? And jjn just said it's working with GPU accelleration for him. So please do not be so dissmissive and state for a fact it is not a bug. It sure seems like one to me.

I have also tried enabling and disabling HW accelleration in the settings, both using Intel and CUDA, to the same results.

I do really expect better than this, I just upgraded from 21 to 23 in the hopes that this issue was fixed, but I'm seeing the same thing in v23 as I did in 21. 

•  07-15-2020, 1:28 801748 in reply to 801747

I have never used the crop with time remapping on the same clip.  Could be a clue.
  •  07-15-2020, 2:40 801749 in reply to 801747

Fullmakt:

And for those that are saying this is NOT a bug, you must be crazy.

I'm not saying that what you are seeing isn't a bug. I'm saying it probably isn't related to Cuda as per your thread title. Even without it I get better than real time export on a simple time-remap. You have just stated that without hardware acceleration, the render is still too slow, which, if this was Cuda related, it wouldn't be. Like saying the turbo is broken of a car that has a more serious underlying fault.

Could I please remind you of the posting guidelines here: http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/652416/ShowThread.aspx#652416

and in particular "Offensive comments, harassments and profanities will not be tolerated."

I can't deciper those screenshots.  Could you just say what order the effects were applied. Is the timemapping keyframed? Does it slow up or slow down?

Also I see to have Playback Optimasation enabled. Cuda doesn't work on the mpeg-2 files that generates. I perfomed my tests without iusing it.

Scratch all that, it looks like the problem is with the source material and time remapping. However, it's not as simple as using a Pinnacle Screen capture. It seems to be related to using a custom resolution.

Case 1 - full screen capture, time remapping export flies.

Case 2 - custom capture resolution, time remapping export is dog slow.

Can anyone confirm?

If you want someone to investigate a bug, the best way is to produce a small sample project that exhibits the issue, either using the sample footage or packaged as an axx, and post that on the cloud.

You say this happened in 21. Is there a thread you started about that?

•  07-15-2020, 3:42 801752 in reply to 801749

jjn:

Case 2 - custom capture resolution, time remapping export is dog slow.

Can anyone confirm?

I can't because I don't understand where I can see in OP's screenshots the resolution of the custom capture.

????

•  07-15-2020, 4:48 801753 in reply to 801752

Attachment: capture properies.jpg

I just did my own - I shrank a firefox window down from my 3840*2160 screen to about half size and then just captured that, rather than the full screen.

I'd guess that the workround for this would be to re-export the screen capture in proper HD or UHD and then re-importing that for the time-remap.

•  07-15-2020, 5:55 801756 in reply to 801753

Ok. In the old days some filters could have difficulties with resolution that was not a multiple of 8, because of macroblocks native size.  But your 1920 x 1064 respects this rule.
  •  07-18-2020, 1:04 801795 in reply to 801753

Thank you for testing.

I have done what you said and uploaded to the cloud,

Included in the following link is:

* All three test projects described below

* The source video test from Pinnacle Screen Capture

* The exported video files from each of the three projects. 

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15NjmJBY9kMcFVa5sPE2N-3CpeWW2nvzx?usp=sharing

I did very few simple steps to reproduce.

1st test:

1. Use Pinnacle screen capture and capture full screen 2560x1440, it is saved to wmv file with 1920x1080p by pinnacle screen capture application. (saved as Capture_test.wmv)

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (saved as timeremap.Movie.axp)

3. Apply time remap to the clip, no key frames, 500% speed up.

4. Shrink the timeline to match the new length of video.

5. Export. Observe very slow. (Saved as timeremap.mp4)

I used 1 minute and 53 seconds to export a resulting clip of 12 seconds. 0% GPU load. (That is over 13 times slower than real time!!! Imagine a long timelaps, it takes forever to finish)

2nd test:

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (Saved as noremap.Movie.axp)

3. Export the project without any time remapping applied.

4. Observe fast export

I used just 9 seconds, to export a resulting clip of 60 seconds.(saved as noremap.movie.mp4)

3rd test:

2. Start a new project, import capture file from point 1. (Saved as transissions.Movie.axp)

3. split clip and apply transision effects multiple times (10)

4. Export the clip.(saved as transissions.movie.mp4)

5. Observe fast export. 

I used just 25 seconds, to export a resulting clip of 60 seconds.(up to 60% load on GPU during export (GTX 2080TI)

PS. I also tried the suggestion to export clip, then use the exported clip to time remap. I created a new project and imported the exported clip from the second test, applied time remap speed increase 500% and exported the project, It is still just as slow as the 1st test. 

•  07-29-2020, 21:33 802028 in reply to 801795

Was anyone able to reproduce?
  •  07-30-2020, 7:49 802043 in reply to 802028

Sorry, adding a "bump" to this thread, but I am using an all AMD computer.
  •  07-30-2020, 15:28 802064 in reply to 802043

Are you saying that you are experiencing the same issue Tony P?
  •  07-30-2020, 16:21 802066 in reply to 802064

I do not have CUDA, so can not comment on it. As I wrote, I have an all AMD computer.

I do not use the screen capture software.

•  07-30-2020, 17:43 802070 in reply to 802066

I thought we had already established that this has nothing to do with Cuda?
  •  07-31-2020, 6:14 802090 in reply to 802070

Whatever it is related to, the performance of rendering timeremapped sceenes is extreemely poor. 13x times slower than realtime, on a top of the line powerhouse PC. There must be something wrong there, regardless what it is related to?
Page 1 of 3 (52 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy