Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Giving up on 22 ultimate

Last post 05-15-2019, 14:41 by thirly. 15 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-04-2019, 13:24 784490

Giving up on 22 ultimate

After many attempts at trying to work with 22 Ultimate I've decided to go back to 21 and 20 - which fortunately I kept on my system. Not sure why I'm having so many problems with 22 and why the other two versions seem to work but the new version doesn't. The latest issue in 22 comes from trying to output files, the end result is a combination of parts of the video flipping upside down and/or a gray background instead of picture. 

Anyone else having lots of problems with 22 or is it just me. Like I said, the other versions run a lot smoother. I always buy the latest versions hoping there are new things that will make my editing experience better. 

CJ 

•  05-04-2019, 13:35 784491 in reply to 784490

Re: Giving up on 22 ultimate

Sorry, but I have not experienced those issues. Whatever video I export plays back correctly.

I work with 1080 50P, photos, 4K 25, 50, 60P, in addition to game captured video via Plays.tv.

•  05-04-2019, 15:56 784500 in reply to 784490

cjwonder:
    After many attempts at trying to work with 22 Ultimate I've decided to go back to 21 and 20
    I've had the opposite experience; Studio 20 and 21 didn't work particularly well here (editing performance degraded over time or for large projects) and I went back to 19. But 22 (with 22.1 and 22.2 patches) has been pretty well behaved Smile

If you are still using that old Dell PC listed in your profile, one possiblity for the trouble is the old Nvidia GT240 graphics (pre-dates the introduction of Nvidia's NVENC hardware video encoders; the encoder for H.264 was introduced in GT6xx cards, and for H.265 in GTX960/980). So if you're working with full-HD AVCHD files, one thing to try would be in Studio's control panel ("export and preview" page) turn off the automatic detection of hardware acceleration and set it to "None" (so Studio doesn't try to use anything on the graphic card). Export of H.264 (such as MP4 files) may actually be slightly faster using "None" - Studio's software H.264 encoder seems to work better than the CUDA encoder on those old Nvidia cards.

HTH
    Richard

•  05-04-2019, 17:51 784509 in reply to 784500

Thanks for the tip about setting it to "none" and I will try that. I've since updated computers and my new one has a NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb.

CJ 

•  05-05-2019, 6:27 784529 in reply to 784509

The GTX1060 is IMO a decent mid-range card and ought to work fine with Studio for editing video using both H.264 (AVC) and H.265 (HEVC) as it has the hardware support for both. One possible cause of trouble is the graphic driver - might possibly need update (or even rolling back to a prior version as a troubleshooting step).

FYI the current version listed on Nvidia's website is 430.39 (available in both "Standard" and "DCH" varieties - be very careful if manually updating, apparently you can't install one kind over the other as an "upgrade" unless you want bad things to happen)!! Windows Update may be "some way behind" and still offering something that is several months out-of-date (although it should still be a stable version free from major/critical bugs).

Another idea - if your PC is using an Intel "Core i" CPU and the motherboard provides access to the Intel on-chip graphics (has the monitor connectors (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort etc.) on its rear panel), you could try using the Intel graphics instead of Nvidia to see if Studio's editing and export works any better. Note that some PCs can be "awkward"; you may have to change a BIOS setting, connect a monitor to the motherboard port, or even remove the graphic card to get the Intel on-chip graphics enabled!

HTH
    Richard

•  05-05-2019, 10:27 784534 in reply to 784529

Thanks Richard, I will look into all of that. Appreciate the info.

CJ 

•  05-11-2019, 14:01 784738 in reply to 784490

Message edited by moderator saby.

Please respect forum guidelines and avoid offensive comments. Next step, if you don't respet the rules, is your username set to Moderate status.

•  05-11-2019, 14:17 784740 in reply to 784738

Glad you found an editor you can work with.

You make 11 posts ... for someone who's had every version since 11, that's not many posts. And looking at your posts, nothing on PS21 or PS22.

You've been a member since 2016 and ONLY 11 posts? Where are all those posts on crappy Pinnacle since you've had every version?

•  05-14-2019, 16:31 784881 in reply to 784490

cjwonder:

After many attempts at trying to work with 22 Ultimate I've decided to go back to 21 and 20 

Not posted for a while but long time lurker. Me too I have been back on Pinnacle 21 for a while and got a refund.

Pinnacle 22 must be the worst version so far, totally dislike the way transitions are done also many changes were not for the better.

The whole thing run clunky. Version 21 is so much better. 

Really hope version 23 is a return to form.   

•  05-14-2019, 16:45 784882 in reply to 784881

...I guess you weren't around for Studio 10 then. I can understand you disliking the way transitions are now done. I'm not a fan of it either, but I can still edit and get any transition I want to use to work correctly.

As for running clunky, I guess it depends on what "clunky" is. I haven't used PS21 for the many videos I've edited from 4K to 1080 50P. 

Sometimes, adjustments take a while. If you came from S15 or before to Avid Studio, you might think the same thing. It depends on what you are used to. I hope PS improves the way the transitions are handled (I thought the "old" way was just fine) along with other features the move the software more prosumer. The color correcting is great. LUT's is great.

I wouldn't hold my breath on PS23 returning to be PS21....

•  05-15-2019, 5:07 784893 in reply to 784882

"Clunky" is a very good description. I thought it was just me. I've jumped from PS12 (after 10 years use) to PS22 and I have tons of trouble doing simple tasks that 12 did so very well. Of course 22 can do a lot of things that were

not possible in 12 but somebody reinvented the wheel on a lot of simple stuff (like working with transitions and keeping tracks in sync) and the new wheel doesn't spin properly! I suffer clips sometimes going black after a transition. I move the transition

1 frame and the clip reappears. I have also seen clips turn upside down during a transition with no way to put it right other than to add the same clip and same transition again, then delete the originals.

I also see that the vast majority of HFX do not run in reverse even when ticked to do so... There's so much more. I'm still learning but re-editing one particular project that I update every week used to take 10 minutes in S12. It takes over 30 minutes in S22.

Mainly due to fiddling and checking the transitions and re-syncing the tracks becaue I can't get used to when I should leave editing mode on auto, use overwrite or insert, press alt and drag... don't press alt and drag. I think I may be ranting off topic now.

•  05-15-2019, 5:29 784897 in reply to 784893

"Different" is what I would use to describe the experience. You have to learn how the software edits. This applies to all editing software. Once you do that and become comfortable with it, editing will speed up. There is a HUGE learning curve difference between S12 and PS22.

You do use all the tracks when editing, yes? If you do and use transitions, you will not have any problems. Placing clips on tracks above or below (you decide on what you want to do) is what I would suggest.

Watch this TUTORIAL about transitions. It explains "why" this change was done. I didn't have a problem before this "new" way, but have adjusted to the new way.

Create a separate post about the transitions that do not work in reverse. Be specific. 

I basically use Overwrite, Insert or Replace when I am editing. I never use Smart.  This is all part of getting over the learning curve of the software.

When Avid Studio was released (supposed Liquid replacement... NOT), once I got into the software, I never went back to S15U. I have S9-S15U every version. 

•  05-15-2019, 6:09 784899 in reply to 784897

Yes, definitely "different" but not always in a good way and many changes are bewildering. Like they've gone out of their way to make it harder to do simple tasks.

For instance, at the end of that tutorial Pinnacle is urged to bring back the in-sync functionality for inserting transitions that existed in Studio v1 in 1999 !!!! and right through till S15. Why was it removed?

I don't want to hi-jack this thread so I'll not go any further here other than to say I think S22 is very frustrating in lots of ways and a lot of the things in that tutorial are workarounds for stuff that shouldn't work the way they do in the first place.

The tutorial itself was very good btw. But it has brought to light something else that I can't get working... I'll start a new thread...

•  05-15-2019, 6:26 784902 in reply to 784899

If you come from a pro editing software background, which Avid Studio was based on (Avid Liquid), the adjustments would not be that difficult. I can transition to just about any other pro editor and get the basics right away. Coming from a consumer editor with only 3 tracks and edits upside down, there will be a learning curve. To do simple things in Pinnacle is easy once you know how and it becomes second nature to you. This will take time. It is a more complex piece of software than legacy Studio.

If you listened to the beginning of the video, the explanation on "why" transitions were changed is given. To maintain timeline/track sync. A lot of pro editors make use of all the timelines to work. I do. Placing a clip on another track above is no big deal. Just different from what you have been doing. With the "old" way, there was always someone saying they are losing sync in the video and how to keep things in sync. This is what the developers decided. Not one that I would have went with, but not impossible to work with at all. Just different. 

The things in the tutorials are not "work around" but solution to editing the way the developers designed (right or wrong) the product. I would not be using it if it worked like legacy Studio and would have moved on to something else that edits the way Premiere (with Pinnacle DV500) and Liquid.

•  05-15-2019, 14:10 784922 in reply to 784893

thirly:
    I suffer clips sometimes going black after a transition. I move the transition

1 frame and the clip reappears. I have also seen clips turn upside down during a transition with no way to put it right other than to add the same clip and same transition again, then delete the originals.

What version # of PS22 are you using ? If you're not in PS22.2, install it. This bug is fixed in this version.

•  05-15-2019, 14:41 784927 in reply to 784922

As of today I have 22.2 but I've not used it yet. I've said in another thread that the changelog mentions a fix for the black out after a transition.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy