Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

Last post 01-30-2022, 6:08 by frankdd. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-25-2022, 12:54 820117

Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

In reading forum threads, dating back to November 2021, this seems to have been an issue with no resolution, even prior to W-11, and I just upgraded to W-11 and now experiencing this.

Additional info, If edit field/workspace is on a 2nd/external monitor, the primary/laptop screen will then correctly detect and playback timeline; what you do get is the small on-screen playback controls, NO timeline video; that did not happen under PS24, using W10,

Has there been any manufacture support on this issue?

I'm running both PS24 and PS 25 in parallel, now with the same issue.

My system is a Lenovo Laptop, i7 Gen 10

gtalancon@hotmail.com 

•  01-25-2022, 13:28 820119 in reply to 820117

Re: Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

I don't quite follow what you are doing since you gave no instructions on how to reproduce your problem.

What is playing on the second monitor and how do you get it there? Undocking the window (which window) and dragging it to the second monitor? What are your monitor settings in Win11? Do you have the second monitor to mirror the first?

•  01-26-2022, 4:06 820129 in reply to 820117

I can undock the timeline window, drag it to my second monitor and play it there with no problem with W11
  •  01-26-2022, 12:29 820144 in reply to 820117

Yes I see this as an issue now

There is a control panel entry Show Full screen preview on.. and a list of entries. It can either be on the same monitor as the main peogram or the second monitor. You go full screnn by alt+enter

Here, If I have the main program on monitor 1 and Other Monitor set or Second Monitor set, it works - I get the FS display on Monitor 2. If I try to swap them round - I want to see the FS display on Monitor 1, it doesn't show the FS, it just shows the playback controls, I don't know how long it has been like this - Win 11 and PS 25 here, but the Control panel options are clearly bugged.

EDIT - hang on, something wrong with my last thought there as Win 11 seems to insist assuming that I want the monitor on the left to be monitor 1, so I can only see FS preview if I put Studio on the right...

More investigations required.

•  01-26-2022, 13:26 820145 in reply to 820144

Have you got a link to the inital thread? I don't have 23/24 installed to see when this all started to go wrong.
  •  01-28-2022, 13:16 820163 in reply to 820144

Moderator,

Thank You, you get and see what I'm talking about; FS screen Preview playback/viewable only happens on monitor 1, my laptop, monitor 2, external, will/can continue to display app edit timeline sequence; PS25 Control Panel has no affect or would allow one to select Preview on a Second/External monitor. This did not happen with PS24 using W10.

W11 Display Settings did/would not help.

The Idea is to have an Edit Time-Line Screen with a separate FS Preview monitor; ET screen to be, in this case, my laptop/Monitor 1. 

•  01-28-2022, 13:27 820164 in reply to 820163

kiteflyer suggested to undock preview window to your 2nd monitor.

Have you tried it ? It's a good and easy workaround.

•  01-29-2022, 3:20 820170 in reply to 820164

saby:
    It's a good and easy workaround.
    To be pedantic, it's not a complete replacement for a function that used to work perfectly. If I'm using multiple applications across two screens, the Alt-Enter option to give me a quick, true full screen, preview now only works on the primary monitor in windows 11. If I have Studio on the secondary monitor, I still have to have the FS preview on the primary monitor to see it.

However, at least now Studio seems to always remember it's undocked layout when you re-open it, which was the main reason that I didn't use it in the past.

•  01-29-2022, 4:30 820171 in reply to 820117

AW: Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

The problem occurs since Windows 11. Could it be related to the settings in "Windows 11, System, Multitasking"?
  •  01-29-2022, 5:27 820172 in reply to 820171

Re: AW: Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

frankdd:
    The problem occurs since Windows 11. Could it be related to the settings in "Windows 11, System, Multitasking"?
    Possibly, but I've looked at that and haven't found a setting yet that solves the issue. I'm seeing some other GUI issues with PS on my laptop, and those affect some other programs I use, including the Affinity suite.
  •  01-29-2022, 22:21 820189 in reply to 820163

Update, Have now attached 2 external monitors, to my set up, then setting W11 Display settings to 'Duplicate desktop on 1 and 3', this has allowed me to get what I prefer, BUT, does not resolve original question of a 2nd monitor Preview independence; PS 24/25 Control Panel is currently set to 'FS Preview on other Application Monitor'.    
  •  01-30-2022, 6:08 820192 in reply to 820117

AW: Timeline not playing, on 2nd or external monitors, after upgrading to W-11

Unfortunately, I do not have a general solution to the problem. Perhaps the following ideas:

If all Windows updates have been carried out, the manufacturer's drivers for the graphics card(s) should be installed. This can solve some graphics problems.
    My colleague once had the problem that the default timeline resolution of the current project was higher than the maximum resolution of the preview monitor. Only downgrading the preset from 4K to 2K solved his display problems.

One should also pay attention to the BIOS and device driver updates.
    The following device drivers are important:
    - BIOS
    - Chipset driver
    - Graphics card (GPU) driver (see above)
    - monitor drivers.

If you have special problems with the performance of Pinnacle under Windows 11, you should try the following link:

http://pinnaclestudioinfo.dtvpro.co.uk/poor-performance-under-windows-11

Also, it can sometimes be helpful to exclude the Pinnacle folders and processes from being scanned by the antivirus software.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy