Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Anyone else experiencing this? Narrow video

Last post 11-01-2021, 16:41 by culpanr. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-28-2021, 11:32 817863

Anyone else experiencing this? Narrow video

Hi All,

Using Pinnacle 24 U and whenever I render out an MP4 video file from some footage the resulting video is much narrower than it should be.  I have Pinnacle 21U loaded on another PC and when I render out the video on THAT machine, the video is the proper width...

Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you fix it?  I have wracked my brain going thru all the settings in both versions but nothing I tweak changes the width of a rendered MP4

•  10-28-2021, 14:28 817865 in reply to 817863

Re: Anyone else experiencing this? Narrow video

Further information - when I'd render an .avi video captured from a camcorder tape I always used the H.264/AVC when selecting under the Export window.  As it rendered the video maintained it's Display Aspect Ratio of 4:3 (in a widescreen format...yes - black bars down either side) but when played back on ANY device the Display Aspect Ratio had changed to 3:2 when looking at the file using MediaInfo.   So I'd re-render the video using the MPEG-4 Visual option from the Format option pull-down menu and lo & behold, the rendered video, when looked at using MediaInfo showed the Display Aspect Ratio as 16:9 Widescreen and all the proportions were accurately displayed - no longer narrow.  BUT IT ISN'T USING THE H264 Codec - it's using the mp4v-20. 

On the Pinnacle 21U pc, the same video renders out properly using the H.264/AVC from the drop down and the codec used is the H264 - which is the most common codec out there I believe in SmartTV's. 

•  11-01-2021, 16:41 818020 in reply to 817865

Re: Anyone else experiencing this? Narrow video

What are the properties of the source video that does not render correctly? In particular what does MediaInfo report for the frame size and display aspect ratio?

I have seen a similar "narrowed" export here and it seemed to be an issue with Studio not recognising that a particular piece standard-definition DV or MPEG-2 video (720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC)) has rectangular (not square) pixels. That error can be fixed by opening the source video file in Studio's corrections editor and on the "Adjustments" tab, "Settings" section force the correct aspect ratio (PAL 4:3, PAL 16:9, NTSC 4:3 or NTSC 16:9) and not Display 4:3 or Display 16:9.

HTH
    Richard

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy