Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

PS25 Ultimate Will Not Show Video in Timeline Preview

Last post 09-20-2021, 10:29 by Bryce1210. 15 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-15-2021, 19:12 816969

PS25 Ultimate Will Not Show Video in Timeline Preview

Hey All,

I have used Pinnacle Studio since version 18. I just installed PS 25 Ultimate onto my new computer. I cannot get it to play video or display still pics/transitions in the Timeline Preview window. This is the case when I am using the slide/indicator on the timeline pr just pushing play on the preview window,. In my previous versions, I could slide the slider along the timeline and the clips would play forward/backward, fast/slow in the Timeline Preview window. When I hit the space bar, the 1x speed shows up in the timeline preview, but nothing happens with video.  The slider plays along the timeline and the play indicator slides along the preview window. The audio will play. 

This has basically rendered the program useless for any type of actual editing because you can't tell where you are in the video, etc.  I feel like this is a setting issue or something simple. 

1. I have installed DirectX and DirectX 2010 with no luck.

2. I then uninstalled PS25 and reinstalled it with no luck.  

3. Reached out and chatted with Pinnacle Staff. They kicked it to email and I was requested to provide both WinAudit and MISINFO32. Both seem to provide a great deal of information on my computer that could allow someone access. Is this a standard practice to provide that level of info?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

•  09-15-2021, 19:16 816970 in reply to 816969

Re: PS25 Ultimate Will Not Show Video in Timeline Preview

Maybe to get things going..... have you tried the sample movie project? ?>Load sample movie. 

What file is it not playing? What created it? 

Also, what are your computer specs...see mine below as an example. Your User Profile is quite empty and this is information (unless it's your sig like mine) is also necessary.

Also, have you updated your graphics driver. 

•  09-15-2021, 20:08 816971 in reply to 816970

Being my last machine was not half of what this machine is, I didn't figure that mattered. I added it in my signature. 

When I installed, there was a sample timeline built. None of it worked either.

I have tried .mov. .mp4, and many others made by drons, camcorders, go pros, etc. with no luck.  It is not a single file issue. 

I have not updated by graphics driver, but MSI is telling me everything is up to date. This is my first computer with a dedicated graphics card, so where do i go to update that driver?

Thanks,  

•  09-16-2021, 4:17 816974 in reply to 816971

I'd go to Nvidia to download the driver. Also, make sure your integrated graphics is up to date from Intel. 

I am using a desktop which has one graphics card. I don't know if there is a conflict or not between the iGPU and the Nvidia. Someone else with this type of system will have to answer.

Also, in Control Panel>Export and Preview what is Hardware Acceleration set to? 

•  09-16-2021, 5:34 816977 in reply to 816971

The problem does seem to be exactly like what happened with previous Studio versions when the older DirectX runtime libraries are not present (as would be the case on a new Windows 10 installation).

Where did you obtain the DirectX June 2010 installer from? If it was from here (and you got a file directx_Jun2010_redist.exe), I have a vague memory that running that file simply unpacks the contents to a folder of your choice - but does NOT perform the actual installation! In case that has happened to you, go into the folder where the DirectX files were unpacked and run the file DXSETUP.exe

HTH
    Richard

•  09-16-2021, 10:46 816979 in reply to 816977

I agree it is the same. I had not ran the DXSETUP.exe great catch! I ran the setup and then opened PS25 and I have the same results. I don't understand why it will play it in the source preview window, but it will not play it in the Timeline preview window. Did you see my not on the WinAudit and the MSINFO32 request from Corel? Does that sound safe to send them? 

OK so the plot thickens. If I select the full screen preview button while the video is trying to play the video goes to full screen and it plays! When I go back into the program, it plays a split second then the image stops the timeline is still going.  

I also updated the NVIDIA graphics driver via the NVIDIA app.  

•  09-16-2021, 10:49 816980 in reply to 816974

Hardware acceleration is set to Cuda. I have tried them all. Autodetect sets it on Cuda. 

I tried to update graphics drivers through device manager for both intel and nvidia and both stated they already have the right drivers installed. 

•  09-16-2021, 11:02 816981 in reply to 816977

FWIW - Studio 25 appears not to require that old DirectX runtime installation; it has copies of the few DirectX files it needs in its program directory (C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 25\programs). I just tried an install of the 25.0.1.211 download (ESD) on a clean-imaged Win10 Home 21H1 system that did not have that old set of DirectX runtimes installed; the Studio installation was successful and it was able to preview the sample movie with both video and sound.

One thing that I do have on that test system, and which might be significant, is the MPEG-2 Video Extension (free from the Microsoft Store) - If Studio 25 uses the Microsoft video codecs it will not be able to play the background preview render files (or the sample movie) without that extension being installed. So might be worth trying installing it (it's free - and even if it doesn't fix the problem in Studio it would allow Windows Media Player and the Films & TV app to play MPEG-2 video files.

Regards,
    Richard

•  09-16-2021, 11:37 816984 in reply to 816981

I downloaded and installed the mpeg2 extension. It did not help the PS25 issue. 

Just so we are clear on the issue, I uploaded a video to youtube. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/miYgG9tx48k 

•  09-16-2021, 13:13 816986 in reply to 816984

Thanks for sharing the screen recording; I can now appreciate that it's different from the issue that arises when the DirectX components are missing (in that case the video doesn't play at all and the source/timeline previews stay grey or black. So it may be a graphics driver issue as Tony suggested...

Which graphics is active when you are running Studio? If you're running the Nvidia graphics, try switching to the Intel graphics (or vice versa).

For laptops with dual graphics you're probably best to stick with whatever the laptop maker has released; they will often tweak the drivers to suit their hardware design; the generic drivers direct from Nvidia or Intel may lack those tweaks and not work as well (or at all)! Sorry I can't be much more heklp; I don't have any ssytems with dual graphics.

Regards,
    Richard

•  09-16-2021, 13:15 816987 in reply to 816986

How do I switch which graphics is active when using PS25?

Watching task manager processes...when the source preview is playing PS25 is showing 4% usage, at idle it is showing 0.1% usage, when I play the timeline preview the usage goes back up to 4 to 5%. The computer seems to be rendering and playing but the software is not showing what is being played.  very frustrating

•  09-16-2021, 14:01 816989 in reply to 816987

Bryce1210:
    How do I switch which graphics is active when using PS25?

Sorry - I have no idea...

MSI should have provided some kind of utility - does the MSI Center app have anything related to controlling the graphics in it? I did try downloading and reading the user manual - but it wasn't any help at all (mention of dual display - but I couldn't see anything about switching graphics adapters) Sad

•  09-17-2021, 10:26 817002 in reply to 816969

I remember readind  some tutorial that if you have both intel and nvidia cards you should disable the intel card and choose CUDA  in the control panel of STUDIO. 
  •  09-17-2021, 10:33 817003 in reply to 817002

This allows to set up which card is used by Studio to preview and export videos, not which card is used by the computer to display what is on the screen.
  •  09-17-2021, 15:38 817008 in reply to 816987

According to this FAQ (PDF document) MSI laptops that support auto-switching between the iGPU (Intel graphics) and dGPU (Nvidia graphics) use the Nvidia Control Panel app to set which GPU is used (allow the laptop to choose automatically or force an application always to use a particular GPU). I believe that your laptop does have this auto-swutching capability as its user manual does mention the power LED changing to orange when the Nvidia graphics are in use (and white when the Intel graphics are in use).

HTH
    Richard

•  09-20-2021, 10:29 817068 in reply to 817002

AND DAVID for the win! I disabled Intel video card in device manager and the preview started working! BAMMO! Great job thanks all for the advice!
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy