Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Clips disappearing from my PC, missing media (and other mysteries) since installing Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate

Last post 02-14-2021, 11:16 by Jill Jade. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-13-2021, 13:28 811806

Clips disappearing from my PC, missing media (and other mysteries) since installing Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate

Attachment: Pinnacle 6.png

Hope somebody can help me with an issue with my newly-purchased Studio 24 Ultimate. I've been using Studio 18 Ultimate for years so I'm familiar with the way Pinnacle works. Had no problem installing 24 (Windows 10, 64-bit). I always import clips to my PC's D-drive (2TB) and save Pinnacle movies, footage, etc. on this drive too...never a problem.

Now, with Pinnacle 24, none of the above seems to work anymore! I've just made a test movie with 5 short clips located on my PC's D-drive. I imported them, placed them on the timeline, "Save Movie As..." (to This PC > 2 TB Storage D). Normally, I would find the Movie (with Pinnacle logo) and the clips safely in the D-drive. Now, the Movie isn't there, 3 of the 5 clips have disappeared & there are many strange white documents with weird codes in my D-drive!

Back in Pinnacle Edit; missing media, yellow/red exclamation marks & a lost project! I can't relink the media (clips) because they have disappeared. I definitely didn't move, rename or delete any of them. I've searched all files and folders on my PC but they're nowhere to be found. Maybe someone has a solution? 

•  02-13-2021, 14:09 811809 in reply to 811806

Re:Clips disappearing from my PC, missing media (and other mysteries) since installing Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate

Jill Jade:
    there are many strange white documents with weird codes in my D-drive!

These are clearly files generated by the background rendering feature.

•  02-13-2021, 16:05 811812 in reply to 811809

Re: Re:Clips disappearing from my PC, missing media (and other mysteries) since installing Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate

saby:

Jill Jade:
    there are many strange white documents with weird codes in my D-drive!

These are clearly files generated by the background rendering feature.

The OP appears to have set Studio's render files folder (Control Panel -> Storage Locations - Render Files location (at the bottom of the page) to the top-level (root) of the D: drive. Not a good idea - clicking "delete render files" in Studio's control panel could erase everything on the D: drive!!

The render files should be stored in a folder of their own - completely separate from any captured or exported video (although they can be on the same disk as other video files). For example - create a folder Studio24Render under the top-level of drive D: and configure Studio to save its render files there (and not in the top-level of the drive).

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-14-2021, 11:16 811837 in reply to 811812

Re: Re:Clips disappearing from my PC, missing media (and other mysteries) since installing Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I'm okay with (basic) Pinnacle editing, I really enjoy it, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computers! I had no idea about top-level (root) drives, so thanks for your tip. When I installed Pinnacle 24, I went to the Control Panel and changed "Import Settings" and "Storage Locations" from C:\Users\etc to D:\ (because my D-drive is so much bigger and can store more clips). I'm sure I did the same with Pinnacle 18 a few years ago, but perhaps something was different because I never had any problems.

So, I now know the strange white documents are background render files (you learn something new every day!). Anyway, I reset Pinnacle to its original download, the demo video has returned and the Import Settings/Storage Locations in the Control Panel are now back to their default (C:\Users\etc. I think I'll leave it like that for now. Just did a quick test with the same 5 short clips and (fingers crossed) it seems to have saved the Movie project (to My Documents) the original clips are still there and I can't see any weird white documents! 

I think you may have solved the problem...thanks for sharing your knowledge, very much appreciated,

Kind regards,

Jill

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy