Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Quick Import Closes Program PS 21 and other

Last post 08-22-2020, 15:42 by iraisok. 23 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-20-2020, 13:12 803200

Quick Import Closes Program PS 21 and other

Never experienced this before with my PS21.5U and confirmed it is NOW also happening with PS19U. 

1. Open PS 21.  NO PROJECTS LOADED. Click Quick Import.  I see the dialog to select a file.  I select a jpg that had been imported to a different project in the past.  NO MATTER THE JPG, when I select on, I see the dialog bottom right of screen that would indicate progress on the import.  PS closes.  I open PS.  There is no entry in the Event list.  NO PROBLEM with Drag and Drop!.

2.  I also have PS19U installed.  I opened it.  NO PROJECTS OPEN.  Exactly the same failure!  I hadn't used PS19U for YEARS.

3. Tried deleting C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Pinnacle_Studio_21.  Same failure!

4. If there is a way to be prompted with REPAIR at time I click uninstall, I'd appreciate knowing I'd see that ... even if I lose all plugin's I have, I'd try it.  I can easily restore my C drive from recent Acronis image.

Anyone have the SAME experience?  Anyone have a solution?

Tnx,

•  08-20-2020, 13:30 803202 in reply to 803200

Re:Quick Import Closes Program PS 21 and other

Hello Ira,

Where are stored these jpg files. Locally on your computer or on a network ?

•  08-20-2020, 13:46 803206 in reply to 803202

Re: Re:Quick Import Closes Program PS 21 and other

Yann,

Firstly, great hearing from you.  Yes, I've been quite since my wife passed away and now I need to create a slideshow of my granddaughter similar to what I did for my grandson in 2018.

ALL media is and always has been on my local SSD or HD's.  This is a very weird issue that I think is caused my something OUTSIDE of PS since same failure in PS19.

•  08-20-2020, 14:12 803208 in reply to 803206

What if you quickimport something else than jpg ?
  •  08-20-2020, 14:23 803209 in reply to 803208

Yann,

NO MATTER the [valid] file type image or video, PS closes when attempted with QUICK IMPORT same result in PS 21 and PS 19.

MORE INFORMATION.  I also have PS 17U installed.  QUICK IMPORT works fine with it.  Lets see.  PS 17 is 32 BIT while 19 and 21 are 64 BIT.  Where do we go with that?

I'd be willing to totally clear out PS21 and reinstall it to learn something knowing I restore my C drive as mentioned earlier.  I just would NOT want to go through all the setups a cfg I have in my current PS 21 if we can figure what is causing this that is COMMON to PS 21 and 19.???

•  08-20-2020, 15:52 803212 in reply to 803209

Does the Importer tab work with these files or is it only a matter with the Quickimport ?
  •  08-20-2020, 17:05 803215 in reply to 803212

Importer Tab worked.  Again, it does not matter the type of file JPG or MP4 video.
  •  08-21-2020, 2:45 803222 in reply to 803215

What happens if you drag the file from a Windows Explorer window to the projext bin?

•  08-21-2020, 5:38 803237 in reply to 803222

jjn:

What happens if you drag the file from a Windows Explorer window to the projext bin?

I believe he indicated in the original post, "NO PROBLEM with Drag and Drop!" which I assume means drag from windows explorer and drop into a bin or collection, but no harm in confirming. I must admit this is a strange one.

•  08-21-2020, 10:17 803247 in reply to 803237

Candive:
    jjn:

I believe he indicated in the original post, "NO PROBLEM with Drag and Drop!" which I assume means drag from windows explorer and drop into a bin or collection, but no harm in confirming. I must admit this is a strange one.

Correct - to repeat once more. Drag and Drop works.  Click on ANY image or mp4 example) file from Quick Import.  Next, I see the circle for 3 sec then PS 21 and when tried with PS 19 the program closes.  Reopen them and there is noting in the PS event log.  PS 17 Quick Import works properly.   Where I’m going with this - PS 21 and 19 are 64 bit programs.  PS 17 is 32 bit.

What is common between PS 21 and PS 19 that is NOT with PS 17.  I have used Quick import with all three programs.

Perhaps some Win 7 update when MS was offering them is causing this?   My oldest C drive Acronis image to restore as a test is only a month ago.

•  08-21-2020, 16:10 803269 in reply to 803247

More information ... not looking correctable:

Background: I have another program that began to fail in Win 7 that NEVER did in the past.  The msg that program popped up was specific to it.  It does NOT fail in W10.  (My W10 is a VM only used for testing)  I communicated with that publisher and they confirmed that MS updated a KernelBase such that a library does not exist any longer that THEIR program needs.  While they expect to work around eventually, I have a hunch what you see below is darn close and that I can not expect PS to Quick Import to work for me while I will forever be using Win 7 on this PC.  Please don't try to convince me to play in Win10.  All that said, I have another Win 7 PC that I could install PC 19 or 21 only for a test but would a) never use it with PS and b) would immediately restore it back after the test.

So, ANYONE reading this with PS 19 (probably PS 20) or PS 21 installed in Windows 7.... PLEASE try Quick Import dialog.  Does it work for you?

Windows 7 Event Viewer "!" Errors when PS 21 closes:

NET Runtime Error:

-----------------------------------------------

Application: NGStudio.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.InvalidCastException
       at Avid.AppFramework.MediaDetail.GetShell32NameSpaceFolder(System.Object)
       at Avid.AppFramework.MediaDetail.GetMediaDetail(System.String, Int32)
       at Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetWatcherService.AssetDbImport.UpdateFileDetail(Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetDb.DbFileRecord ByRef)
       at Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetWatcherService.AssetDbImport.ImportFile(System.String, Boolean, Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetWatcherService.ImportInfo, Boolean, Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetDb.DbFileRecord ByRef)
       at Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetWatcherService.AssetDbImport.ImportFile(System.String, Boolean, Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetWatcherService.ImportInfo, Avid.PinnacleServices.AssetDb.DbFileRecord ByRef)
       at Avid.NGStudio.MediaImportAccess.ImportFile(Avid.NGStudio.Api.MediaImportFilePostMetaData)
       at Avid.NGStudio.EditorComponents.Import.ImportCommands.ImportFileListWaitCallback(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

---------------------------------------------------------

Application Error:

Faulting application name: NGStudio.exe, version: 21.5.0.274, time stamp: 0x5ad4995c
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545, time stamp: 0x5e0eb6bd
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000b87d
    Faulting process id: 0x23d8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d677f48bdc2a27
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 21\programs\NGStudio.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: f381b3a9-e3e7-11ea-826c-005056c00008

-----------------------------------------------------

•  08-21-2020, 16:12 803271 in reply to 803269

iraisok:

So, ANYONE reading this with PS 19 (probably PS 20) or PS 21 installed in Windows 7.... PLEASE try Quick Import dialog.  Does it work for you?

Yes, it does on my Win7 laptop.

•  08-21-2020, 17:14 803276 in reply to 803271

Ira and Saby you may want to compare Win 7 versions on both machines which may explain the difference.

The problem is, Win 7 has reached its end of life back in January, so Microsoft is no longer supporting it and they probably released a big final update to secure it with this as an unfortunate result.

1. Ira, you may have a system restore point which may take you back to to a point prior to any update Windows installed.
    2. I would also run a check disk on the c; drive just to ensure the file structure ok.
    3. Start the system in safe mode and see if the problem exists.
    4. Run Windows update again to see if there are any other updates pending which may fix the problem.

But before doing all this I would still take another Acronis image as a backup. Yes, it has this problem, but at least you can take your machine back to this point if you mess up your machine even further. After making this backup, you could reinstall your older image (even if it is only a month old). It may solve your problem and it may also contain a system restore point that can take your machine back even further!

These are things I would try but remember to backup! What would I personally do? Upgrade to Win10 and I think you can still do it for free according to my google search.

https://www.howtogeek.com/509087/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free/

•  08-21-2020, 17:18 803277 in reply to 803271

saby:
    iraisok:

So there is hope. 

My KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545  399K, dtd 1/2/20 .  What is yours?  I'll check same on my other W7 [Pro] PC.  My PC is W7 Ultimate.

I think I once tried SFC /SCAN but might rerun it.

Tnx,

•  08-21-2020, 17:27 803278 in reply to 803277

iraisok:
    saby:
    iraisok:

So there is hope. 

My KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545  399K, dtd 1/2/20 .  What is yours?  I'll check same on my other W7 [Pro] PC.  My PC is W7 Ultimate.

I think I once tried SFC /SCAN but might rerun it.

Tnx,

My other PC with Win 7 Pro has same file.

Not sure where to go with this issue.  Possibly nowhere unless I like to experiment.  I would not mining uninstalling PS 21, reinstalling it but worried about my reuse of same license.  I don't want to encounter being locked out.  I'm fine now as you might recall from the past..... (all were experiments for other purposes).

•  08-21-2020, 18:09 803281 in reply to 803269

iraisok:
    Please don't try to convince me to play in Win10.
    Absolutely not Wink

PS24 has Windows 10 as it's only OS, BTW.

•  08-21-2020, 20:40 803285 in reply to 803281

jjn:

iraisok:
    Absolutely not Wink

Only reason why I will it update from PS 21 is DD5.1 gone for new releases when installed in W7.  Yes, Corel put that to bed by, as you said, as I noticed, PS24 is spec'd for W10.  That will keep guys like me from moaning and groaning.  Yes, Corel is not to blame for DD5.1 disappearing in W7 blah blah blah.  Yes, my next PC will have W10 then I'll share some of the issues that others report.  For now, if I don’t ever learn how I lost Quick Import, it’s “in the noise.”  Drag and Drop works.  

I still would like to hear if others still using rock solid W7 experience same.  Finally, really, I have done clean installs of W10 in Dell PC'S that were not tested for W10.  Installation and operation worked flawlessly.  I could have fun (?) doing same in my monster Top O Line Dell (with my few changes) from Apr 2010 if you want to believe it.   Someday it will be sensible to change PC's.   I ain’t there yet.  This PC won’t see W10 as it’s native OS, although I have W10 PRO and XPS as VMware modules for special purposes and test. 

tnx,

•  08-22-2020, 0:14 803290 in reply to 803285

iraisok:
    jjn:

iraisok:
    Absolutely not Wink

Only reason why I will it update from PS 21 is DD5.

Stop right there. The rest was incomprehensible.

The only reason not to upgrade to Windows 10 is if there's an application that won't run past it. In which case beat on them 😂

Andy 

•  08-22-2020, 0:16 803292 in reply to 803285

iraisok:
    jjn:

iraisok:
    Absolutely not Wink

Only reason why I will it update from PS 21 is DD5.

Stop right there. The rest was incomprehensible.

The only reason not to upgrade to Windows 10 is if there's an application that won't run past it. In which case beat on them 😂

Andy 

•  08-22-2020, 3:25 803302 in reply to 803285

iraisok:

Only reason why I will it update from PS 21 is DD5.1 gone for new releases when installed in W7.

In PS24 the 5.1 isn't Dolby, it's PCM.

•  08-22-2020, 4:35 803309 in reply to 803277

iraisok:

My KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545  399K, dtd 1/2/20 .  What is yours? 

Exactly the same.

•  08-22-2020, 12:34 803331 in reply to 803269

The log output for the .NET Framework error suggests to me that there might be something amiss with the file associations/default handlers for those file types that crash Studio's Quick Import...

Do those files open correctly in other 64-bit applications? Also what happens if you double-click them (do they open in the Windows default programs (e.g. Windows Photo Viewer / Windows Media Player), has some other application taken over the association(s), or have the associations become lost or corrupted (doible-click has no effect, causes an "Open With..." prompt to appear, or even causes a hang/crash in Windows File Explorer)?

Regards,
    Richard

•  08-22-2020, 13:01 803332 in reply to 803331

culpanr:

The log output for the .NET Framework error suggests to me that there might be something amiss with the file associations/default handlers for those file types that crash Studio's Quick Import...

Do those files open correctly in other 64-bit applications? Also what happens if you double-click them (do they open in the Windows default programs (e.g. Windows Photo Viewer / Windows Media Player), has some other application taken over the association(s), or have the associations become lost or corrupted (doible-click has no effect, causes an "Open With..." prompt to appear, or even causes a hang/crash in Windows File Explorer)?

Regards,
    Richard

Richard,

Firstly, thanks for staying with me and offering possible causes.

The photos open fine in other applications.  Associations have not changed.  The Open With prompt does not appear when with the jpgs or mp4, recall I tried that too, are dbl clicked.  I just captured an Acronis image of my C drive (to restore if necessary) thinking I might uninstall Net Framework 4.8 then reinstall it.... based on the Windows Event Virpewer errors I showed.   I can think of a program to uninstall and try the uses Net Framework (besides PS).

if I/we/anyone can understand why Quick Import works in PS 17 works, but not in either PS 19 or PS 21 I might have a direction to go on?  A difference is PS 17 is (if I recall) 32 bit while PS 19 and 21 are 64 bit as installed.  Darn, I admit that resorting Drag and Drop all the time is not as inconvenience.  It’s just that I lost a feature and would like to know how and why?   All that said I am in the middle of a project with PS 21.  A smart person would defer messing around until this important project is done. 

•  08-22-2020, 15:42 803337 in reply to 803332

Just uninstalled and reinstalled .Net Framework 4.8.  No change.  And Btw: PS 17 tHat does not have the problem would not run w/o Net Framework so it was not the problem.  Just installed PS 20.  Fresh install.  Had same problem.  Clearly, the issue is outside of PS and I had used Quick Import as often as Drag and Drop.  I will just forget about it and go forward.  Yeah, someday when I get next PC it will have W10 to have other things to pull my hair out.  Restoring C drive to get back to baseline prior to my shotgunning things.

If the community has experienced this in W7 and resolved it, please share how.

tnx,

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy