Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Shift CTRL doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Last post 05-16-2019, 5:28 by Tony P. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-15-2019, 6:18 784900

Shift CTRL doesn't seem to do anything for me?

In a tutorial that I just watched - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-fK1W9lEzY&feature=youtu.be - the keys Shift Ctrl were apparently used to select everything on the timeline to the right of the edit point.

How is this done? If I place the scrubber at the start of a clip (or anywhere else) and press Shift then Ctrl or Ctrl then Shift or both together, absolutely nothing happens. Also I cannot see any option for this function in the keyboard shortcuts config.

Is there a (right)click button to do this? Seems to me that I'm missing a crucial function that would solve lots of my "keeping in sync" problems.

•  05-15-2019, 6:37 784904 in reply to 784900

Re: Shift CTRL doesn't seem to do anything for me?

You have to Ctrl Shift left mouse click on the video clip on the timeline.

It is working over here.

BUT which version of PS are you using? There are 3. PS, PS Plus and PS Ultimate. If you have just the plain PS, not sure if that feature works.

•  05-15-2019, 7:29 784906 in reply to 784904

Sigh! I'd tried placing the scrubber then pressing ctrl shift. I'd tried holding the mouse button then pressing ctrl shift. But I never pressed ctrl shift THEN clicked the mouse. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks.

•  05-15-2019, 7:40 784909 in reply to 784906

See how easy it is becoming?? Wink
  •  05-15-2019, 14:11 784923 in reply to 784909

May be the time to modify your judgement here : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/784922/784893/ShowThread.aspx#784893

Seems more a PEBCAK than real bugs !    Big Smile

•  05-15-2019, 14:36 784925 in reply to 784923

"Seems more a PEBCAK than real bugs "

Are you replying to me here?

Yes, certainly in some cases it's down to me but only because I'm on a huge learning curve. However, I'm not sure which coment you are referring to (if indeed you do mean me)?

Which "bug" (or not) is it that you think is down to my ignorance? The transition "issues" I've mentioned are faults which have been reproduced by others and mentioned in this forum.

The questions I ask here about operating the program have nothing to do with bugs. And (staying on topic) I certainly did not claim that the Shift Ctrl function was a bug.

•  05-15-2019, 17:54 784935 in reply to 784925

Yes, I'm replying to you.

You've complaining about several things :

• black frame with transitions => fixed in PS22.2.  Your version of PS22 is not up to date + assuming that by default Auto-check is selected in ? (Help) menu of Studio, how is it possible ?
    • timeline zoom is no longer working => something is mysteriously unchecked in Control panel, how is it possible ?
    • Ctrl+Shift doesn't work => your bad usage of a keyboard shortcut
    • HFX can't be reversed => real bug. I've escalated it to Corel this evening
    3 issues on 4 that could be the result of a lack of knowledge of the product or mishandling by the user. Note that I would not blame you for that. Tony is 100% right. PS22 is a complete different software compared to PS12. Much more powerful, but much more difficult to learn too.

What I mean with this post is that may be you should wait a little bit before saying that PS22 is clunky : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/784927/784893/ShowThread.aspx#784893

•  05-15-2019, 19:07 784939 in reply to 784935

Hmmm. I was not the first in that thread to use the word clunky. In any case, clunky, in this sense, simply means "awkward". Myself and the OP in that thread were both finding S22 "awkward" to use.

I suspect you do not have a full command of the English language or perhaps you simply misunderstood my meaning.

I especially regret your attitude to my question about Shift Ctrl. In particular I did not like the PEBCAK insult - very rude, coming from a "moderator".  Surely this forum is for support, not to belittle people who are struggling to remember every shortcut.

Yes, the 3 issues are partly down to my lack of knowledge of the product - but that's one main reason that this forum is here... to help people with lack of knowledge of the product! 

•  05-15-2019, 19:31 784941 in reply to 784939

Maybe it is a language thing, maybe not. I've asked a lot of questions on this board and done my share of complaining. But I'd have to say that Saby has always been very helpful to any question I've posted. Editing on any system can be frustrating at times, and exciting at other times when you see what you've created after export. I try, but am not always successful, to leave my ego at the door and hope to find a solution to one more problem that I'm having, be it my fault or the program.

Just my two cents...or would that be edits?  

CJ 

•  05-16-2019, 1:09 784949 in reply to 784939

thirly:

Hmmm. I was not the first in that thread to use the word clunky. In any case, clunky, in this sense, simply means "awkward". Myself and the OP in that thread were both finding S22 "awkward" to use.

Yes, the 3 issues are partly down to my lack of knowledge of the product - but that's one main reason that this forum is here... to help people with lack of knowledge of the product! 

I've been helping out people on this forum for so many years that it's useless to count. I do perfectly know what helping people with lack of knowledge involves. Once again, I simply point out that whatever you have in mind when you use clunky or awkward, it's unfair because most of the issues you report are not actual issues but the result of your partial lack of knowledge.

That's why I used PEBCAK which is not an insult at all. I'm truly sorry if you took it like that !

•  05-16-2019, 5:28 784958 in reply to 784949

It is difficult to transition from say Studio or even VideoStudio Pro to something like PS or other editors that edit in a professional way. Especially if you've used that software for a long time. Frustration with not knowing "how" or "why", along with whatever bugs may be encountered, exacerbate the issues.

I've had my fair share of frustration when learning new software. But before I start giving negative adjectives (which in the end, might be rightly deserved) describing the software, I ask questions to see if the problem is actually me or the software. Most of the time, it's me. Some of the time it's the software bug that is being brought out or has already been brought out and hopefully is in the process of being fixed.

I am positively sure Saby meant no harm. It would be like putting RTFM in a reply. Depends on who is writing it what the intent is. You were expressing your frustration. But when people read messages and see "clunky, not intuitive, etc..." and in the end that those words do not aptly apply, then they should be amended. PS operates different. Fact. It has a higher learning curve. Fact. But with all the keyboard shortcuts and tools, I found editing with it far fastest and easier than Studio (which I owned S9-15U) once I knew where everything was and how it worked. One of the biggest feature requests for Studio was to have more tracks, which would open up creativity. We have it now, and a lot more. But now, have to learn how to use them.

Saby has almost 30k posts in helping others. User operator error does happen and so he was asking you to clarify that in your post. I am more than sure it was not a personal attack that was meant to demean you. Maybe if he added something like Smile to the sentence would have help? I've been here a long time and haven't seen him demean intentionally someone. Words/meanings can be taken out of context for sure, but we have to know what context they were meant.

Now me on the other hand..... Wink

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy