Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

How to install Pinnacle 710-USB hardware to brand new Hp desktop without firewire

Last post 04-12-2015, 14:50 by saby. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-12-2012, 12:14 509446

How to install Pinnacle 710-USB hardware to brand new Hp desktop without firewire

I've been a Studio 11 user for approximately 10 yrs.  I had an Hp Pavilion desktop with Window XP for 10yrs. with firewire port in the rear of the computer.  I had been using the Pinnacle Moviebox to download my analog video via a Vcr.   The computer hard drive crashed so I decided to purchase a new desktop computer.  It's an Hp Pavilion Hpe  h8 1114 i5 2400 processor desktop computer with Window 7 Home Edition .  My concern is that this new computer doesn't have any firewire port so that I can use the Pinnacle Moviebox or the Pinnacle 710- USB box, however, the computer it have lots of Usb ports.

I had purchased a new Pinnacle 710-USB box a few years  and never use it before.  Can someone please instruct me on how to hook up one of these Pinnacle analog to digital box to my new computer without using any firewire? 

•  01-12-2012, 14:10 509467 in reply to 509446

Re: How to install Pinnacle 710-USB hardware to brand new Hp desktop without firewire

"The computer hard drive crashed"

I would recommend for you to buy a Hard Drive for your XP Computer, reformat it and install your programs again to your computer. That way you have two computers to do editings or as a backup. About your old hard drive, I think that you may not get back all of your documents you had in there unless you send it to a company to be recovered (but it will be a little expensive to do this) unless you have some important documents you may need to recover.

"I had purchased a new Pinnacle 710-USB box a few years  and never use it before.  Can someone please instruct me on how to hook up one of these Pinnacle analog to digital box to my new computer without using any firewire?"

If the USB-710 looks familiar like the USB-500, I think that you should have no problems using it in your W7 Computer. You may need to download the installation patch from pinnacle in order for your computer to recognize it.

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm

•  01-12-2012, 15:09 509476 in reply to 509467

Re: How to install Pinnacle 710-USB hardware to brand new Hp desktop without firewire

Further to R_Vera's comments:

• All of the Moviebox units with the exception of the old Moviebox DV and original Moviebox USB from the days of Studio 8 connect to the PC via USB 2.0 - IIRC they are all powered by the USB so don't need a separate poewer supply.
    • When you install the copy of Studio that came with your Moviebox 710-USB, that installation may automatically install the drivers for you, so just plug the Moviebox in and it may magically spring to life. If not, see R_Vera's post for the link to the current driver list (Vista and Windows 7 use the same driver - just pick the appropriate one according to whether you have the 32 bit or 64 bit OS)..
    • The 710-USB has a Firewire port, so you can still capture from a DV camcorder even though the PC does not have any Firewire ports of its own.
    • You don't need to leave the 710-USB permanently connected; just connect it when you want to do some capturing or output back to tape etc. Note that if you use any external USB hard drives you may find that their performance may suffer while the 710-USB is connected; the Moviebox drivers are resource hogs and can "take over" the entire USB controller!!

HTH
    Richard

•  01-12-2012, 22:39 509528 in reply to 509476

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about continue to use the Pinnacle Moviebox and add a pci firewire inside of the computer.  Wouldn't using firewire be faster than using a usb 2.0? I had trashed the old computer already, consequently, it was over ten years old.  I wanted something with a faster processor.

•  01-13-2012, 2:37 509542 in reply to 509528

geraldmcclaren:
    Wouldn't using firewire be faster than using a usb 2.0?
    No, it wouldn't. When capturing via a moviebox (or something else) you will capture in real (video) time, not slower and not faster.
  •  04-12-2015, 13:53 672112 in reply to 509542

I haven't been on pinnacle forum for a long time.  I cannot find how to post a new thread on pinnacle studio 14.

geraldmcclaren

•  04-12-2015, 14:50 672116 in reply to 672112

From here for example.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy