Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

For a long time looking for liquid NG!

Last post 10-27-2014, 1:56 by bertran. 18 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-03-2013, 14:52 603589

For a long time looking for liquid NG!

i was trying:Edius, sony vegas pro, adobe premiere,  and also studio 16 ultimate..

no one of these can stand against Avid liquid 7.2, and its very sad :(

for example: 

im using AL for Wedding editing, and using a lot of time in slow motion (time warp), with "fit to fill" option, no other NLE program include this option..

built-in export to DVD

and in general - every thing in AL is simple and fast to handle!

can any one recommand me for NLE program to migrate? (if there exsist..)

•  09-03-2013, 15:58 603593 in reply to 603589

Re: For a long time looking for liquid NG!

Edius is the closest to Liquid in how it works.  Have you tried the latest version (ver. 7 I believe)?  There is a trial version of it available, so give that a try.  Liquid was great, but it is now obsolete as far as the newer codecs go.  If you are using SD video, Liquid should still work well.  In that case the best way to use it would be on a Windows XP boot partition.

•  09-03-2013, 18:06 603605 in reply to 603593

Edius is very much like Liquid and yes, it does do fit-to-fill (four point editing) and it does have built in DVD authoring from the timeline (not quite as good as Liquids but there is a cheap solution to that). In many ways the Edius interface is better than Liquid. You should download the trial version and give it a go. The latest version of Edius is 64-bit and must run under Win 7 64-bit or Win 8. It will not run under XP. While Liquid was a great editor, its time has passed. I have recommended Edius to lots of Liquid users and they have all been very happy making the switch. If you look at the Edius forum, it is populated by lots of old Liquid users.

There is a deeply discounted crossgrade from Liquid to Edius. It should be available in Israel. Find the Grass Valley dealer there for help. Edius is very popular in Europe and the Middle East.

•  09-04-2013, 2:54 603613 in reply to 603605

Thanks for the answers,

I think i will try edius again ang give it another chance.

Can you redirect me to edius forum please? 

•  09-04-2013, 8:12 603648 in reply to 603613

The Edius forum is here.
  •  10-19-2014, 15:13 646437 in reply to 603648

Hi Lew,

It has been a long time since we've "chatted".  Due to my limited work in video production (it has become more of a hobby, due to the economy in Maine), I couldn't justify even a few hundred dollars for a real editor and have wasted a lot of time and some money on the consumer stuff (tried Corel VideoStudio Pro X6).  It has been frustrating and a waste of time.  My "CFO" has given me the go-ahead to spend the money on the Edius 7 Competitive Upgrade ($339 at Video Guys).

First question:  Is Edius still your pick for the best editor for the money which is closest in GUI and operation to the old Liquid?  Second Question:  Will the current competitive upgrade work with Avid Liquid?

Lew, thanks for your time and for your answers to these questions.

Ross

•  10-19-2014, 23:38 646467 in reply to 646437

Yes, I still think Edius is the best alternative for Liquid editors and yes the crossgrade is good with Avid Liquid. That is how I got mine. Check with Gary at Videoguys for the specific info you need from Liquid to qualify.
  •  10-20-2014, 0:05 646468 in reply to 646467

Lew, thanks!  I'm doing it this week. Ross
  •  10-20-2014, 3:00 646469 in reply to 646467

Lew, I just pulled the trigger.  Just had to send the "About" window from my Avid Liquid desktop.  Thanks again.  I'm looking forward to getting this up and running.  Ross
  •  10-20-2014, 12:37 646505 in reply to 646469

Go and sign up at the GV Edius forum. Lots of good help there and lots of old Liquid users. It is here.
  •  10-21-2014, 10:21 646635 in reply to 646505

Just for anyone else looking at this thread, the EDIUS crossgrade has finished in the UK and most of Europe.  It will continue in the US for now but we don't know how long.  There will still some stock in the channel so if you are thinking of moving to EDIUS I would suggest you move now. 

•  10-23-2014, 1:48 646958 in reply to 646505

Lew, I received Edius today and attempted to install. Apparently, it will only let you install on the boot drive and I don't have enough space.  I wanted to place it on another drive that has plenty of room, but Edius, unlike most programs, doesn't give you the option.  I have called technical support about this, but they have not gotten back to me.  I guess I'll have to buy a bigger boot drive.
  •  10-23-2014, 9:03 647001 in reply to 646958

There is no option to install it on another drive but I have had too many problems in the past with this so I never do it anyway.  It needs about 6GB - enough to decompress the install files and then space to install it. 

I am sure Grass Valley tech support won't have any other advice if they get back to you and you need to clear some space or buy a bigger boot drive.  One thing I do when desperate for space is move my pagefile on to another drive.  If you have 16GB RAM then Windows 7 will allocate a 16GB swap file.  You can change it to something smaller and put another swap file on another drive,

•  10-23-2014, 11:05 647045 in reply to 647001

Hi David, I was able to get it installed along with the latest update.  First, I ran disc cleanup and removed the system temp files left over from updates.  This in addition to changing the default program location in Windows Registry to another drive.  Finally, I'll change the swap file location to another drive with more space, per your suggestion.  So far, it seems to be working great, and so fast!  Thanks to Lew and you for your help.  Ross

•  10-23-2014, 11:25 647053 in reply to 647045

Good to know it is working.  I made some tutorials on EDIUS which you can see here:

http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Grass_Valley_EDIUS_tutorials-1.html

Which may or may not help...

•  10-23-2014, 12:32 647085 in reply to 647053

David, thank you.  I'll check out your tutorials.  Ross
  •  10-27-2014, 0:02 648233 in reply to 647085

Lew and David,

One feature I used a lot with AL 7.2 is the ability to create multiple timelines within the same project.  For example, I edit weekly videos for my church.  The whole project remains the same, because I use all the same graphic, title and musical elements each week.  I juust capture that week's service and create a new timeline and export the new timeline to DVD.  In Edius, I see the ability to create multiple sequence tabs on the timeline.  Is this basically the same thing?  If not, how do I create mulltiple timelines in Edius.  Finally, the captures of the church service are in excess of an hour.  Edius broke it up into three files.  Is there any way extend the capture so that it will give me just one capture file?

Thanks,  Ross

•  10-27-2014, 1:14 648235 in reply to 648233

Ross, this is not the forum to ask questions about how to use Edius. Join the Grass Valley Edius Forum (I posted link earlier in this thread). Lots of helpful users there, many of whom are former Liquid users. Also links to tutorials.

Yes, the tabbed sequences are timelines. You can create as many as you want.

Make sure scene detection is turned off, that may be why files split. 

Again, no more questions about how to use Edius here.

•  10-27-2014, 1:56 648237 in reply to 648235

Thanks, Lew.  I'll reserve my Edius questions for the EDIUS forum.  Ross
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy