Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Transfer software to different computer

Last post 07-25-2014, 12:19 by saby. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-25-2014, 2:14 637867

Transfer software to different computer

Hello,

I did a quick search regarding installing my studio hd 14 to a different computer.  Currently, my main is down for repair but i need to copy 8mm tape to my eternal hdd asap.  So I'm going to install software on my mom's computer, then on my computer once it is repaired.  There is risk that the repair won't last so I may buy a new computer in which case I will need to install the software on a third computer.  I will be the only user and have no problem uninstalling the software on each computer once I install on a different computer.  Support said I can install the software on two computers maximum, otherwise I have to repurchase the software again.

Is this true?  My search revealed a pixie file i can copy over to the new computer?  

Another post mentions he installed it on two computers no problem, but I may need to install three times.  

Most other posts related have no replies.  

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

•  07-25-2014, 6:24 637890 in reply to 637867

Re:Transfer software to different computer

Hi,

It's fair enough if you don't run more than one copy of Studio at a time. Nobody at Pinnacle will ever invite you for a journey at Guantanamo if you actually install the software on 3 different computers for the reasons you gave.

Don't bother with the pixie folder. Simply regenerate your activation keys with the new passport of the new computer.

•  07-25-2014, 12:06 637902 in reply to 637890

Re: Re:Transfer software to different computer

Hi Saby,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I was worried that if I do need to put on a 3rd computer the software will validate via the web with pinnacle systems and reject activation.

Sorry, just to make sure, computer passport is the same as hard drive?  All I need to do is enter the serial number on the cd case of the software on a new computer and it should work fine even though I may have installed it previously on my other computers?

Have a nice Friday!!

Best,

Fox

•  07-25-2014, 12:19 637904 in reply to 637902

Re: Re:Transfer software to different computer

Fox90:

All I need to do is enter the serial number on the cd case of the software on a new computer and it should work fine even though I may have installed it previously on my other computers?

Yes for the license key and no for the activation keys.

License key (=serial number) is to be entered at the beginning of install process and allows software installation.

Activation keys are to be entered in the Help menu of Studio once it has been installed. These keys are there to enable some features that were not enabled during install process. For example, mpeg 4 import/export. These keys depend on a number called passport. The passport is calculated by Studio and depends on some hardware features of the computer. So each time you install Studio on a new computer you need to regenerate your activation keys (if you own some) in the Help menu. Once regenerated, you need to re-enter them.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy