Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Fun with Grading

Last post 09-03-2013, 10:50 by VE7AXO. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-28-2013, 18:40 600015

Fun with Grading

Surprised to see the forums are still here.

So I'm having a little Summer Fun With Grading and I would appreciate some input cause I really don't know a lot about it. So here is the situation, I have a Sony FS-100 on which I usually use the default picture and fix it up later to my preferences. In order to get more of out this fantastic camera's range I decide to start using an S-log like Custom Picture Profile and then grade it later. The profile I have chosen is called CPF-Log. I also used a companion Picture Profile called CPF-LUT which is kind of overblown for preview purposes.

So I have two videos here, one of a sunny sample, one of shadowy sample. Each video has four sections, consisting of first the default FS-100 output, followed by CPF-Lut output, follow CPF-Log output, followed by my first attempt at grading the CPF-log output.

I would appreciate any comments on how to improve the quality. Any input would be appreciated.

Shadowy Sample:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1YxlVXW_g

Sunny Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z7cs2EDz6w

•  07-30-2013, 12:59 600186 in reply to 600015

Re: Fun with Grading

I've seen a lot of video which ends up looking like the CPF-LUT output, and I have to say I mostly don't like it. The colors are too saturated (and in your examples, the blacks are being crushed). It's a great look if you're going for something a little more ethereal, but not for anything realistic. You're right about the CPF-LOG output. For your graded output the result of the shadow sample isn't bad. For the sunny sample, the red is way too high.

It's not easy to really look at grading on Youtube. You need to find a place for posting the source videos for download.

What are you using for grading? If you have an NVidia CUDA based card, you can download DaVinci Resolve Lite for free. This gives you a lot more ways of playing with grading than the Liquid color correction editor (which is still pretty good for this sort of thing).

•  08-20-2013, 23:06 602536 in reply to 600186

The CPF-LUT profile is used only for setting levels when looking through the FS100 eyepiece, it is overblown on purpose to make it easier to get the shot right. Then you set the camera profile CPF-Log to do the actual shooting in a much flatter capture so that highlights are not blown, and then you grade it in post. The sunny sample I agree is too red - one of the hazards of doing work on a laptop - it doesn't always give you a good look.
  •  08-20-2013, 23:10 602537 in reply to 602536

Here is a new grading sample I am working on shot with profile with a little more range than CPF-Log. It's kinda the look I am going for.

Numa Falls FS100 Grading Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVIvgPk_21I

I shot this waterfall with a Sony HC-3 about 7 years ago. There is no comparison to what comes out of an Sony FS100, it is a thousand time better quality.

•  08-22-2013, 16:09 602709 in reply to 602537

That's a nice grade. Not overly saturated but with really nice color. I really liked the color of the water contrasting to the reds and oranges in the rocks. And the exposure is spot on.
  •  08-23-2013, 14:28 602784 in reply to 602537

FYI, here is an "ungraded" picture of Numa Falls (Kootenay National Park) on the Vermillion River, from a Wikipedia article.  The picture is also looking upstream, but shows a bit more background and the red rocks (hence the name Vermillion River?) don't look nearly as red or as dramatic as in bigrock's graded video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Numa_Falls_Upstream.jpg

•  08-29-2013, 12:53 603194 in reply to 602784

VE7AXO:
    ...the red rocks (hence the name Vermillion River?) don't look nearly as red or as dramatic as in bigrock's graded video.
    The saturation is definitely higher in the video, but it didn't go to the point of being unrealistic.

That's my problem with a lot of grading I've been looking at from things like the Black magic camera raw images. For some reason, a lot of people seem to think that you need an HDR like image. And for most shots, that ends up looking unrealistic (the color from the image steals from the content of the image). IMHO of course.

•  08-30-2013, 12:04 603272 in reply to 603194

DStone:

For some reason, a lot of people seem to think that you need an HDR like image. And for most shots, that ends up looking unrealistic (the color from the image steals from the content of the image). IMHO of course.

Dave,

I agree with you in general, but I also tend to keep an open mind when I see an edited video or photo.  An image, be it a photo or video clip, can represent anything from a true real-life record of what the camera saw, to an extreme artistic representation out of the editor's imagination.  When you consider that anything done to an image makes it non-realistic, then even a simple colour correction or speed warp effect becomes an "artistic rendition" of the original.  HDR, grading and the more extreme filters such as Photoshop's "Artistic" or "Brush Strokes", all represent what the artist in us editors tries to convey.  Part of the fun in looking at any edited media is trying to understand what the editor was attempting to say, be it a simple story (e.g. a family outing), or an expression of a personal feeling associated with that photo or video.

Also IMHO!

•  09-02-2013, 8:14 603473 in reply to 603272

Igor,

I do try to keep an open mind as well. My commentary is not realy aimed at someone making a deliberate artistic interpretation. It's more aimed at the people who really push the image just because they can, whether or not they should. I look at a lot of grading samples (comparing against my own), and while we all like nice blue skies, the sky is seldom that BLUE!! I think I'm mostly complaining about the lack of subtlety that I see in a lot of grades. 

As I said earlier, there are times when you do want to really expand on the colors, but not all the time and for all shots. I've got some really nice HDR shots of my own. But these are in the minority.

•  09-02-2013, 12:54 603503 in reply to 603473

Dave,

I know what you mean when you say that often effects and filters are used to distraction.  As you say, some people tend to use stuff only because they can, not because it adds to the video or photo. Grading as well as using effects and filters may be "artistic", but there are different levels of "art", from the subtle to the sublime.  I prefer subtle!

The advent of cheap, highly programmable chips and software has made the "because they can" attitude prevalent in our daily life and I guess we can get carried away too easily because of it.  A perfect example of that concept is my BMW 330i which has a "rain sensor" built into the windshield.  When raindrops are detected, it turns on the wipers!  I have to say that I have never in my 53 years of driving forgotten to turn on the wipers when it was raining and I wonder what kind of confused mind would need this type of help from the car's electronics.  I would prefer to not meet such a driver on the same road that I am using.

•  09-02-2013, 16:18 603528 in reply to 603503

VE7AXO:
    I would prefer to not meet such a driver on the same road that I am using.
    Stick out tongue You obviously never drove around Boston!!
  •  09-03-2013, 10:50 603574 in reply to 603528

DStone:
    Stick out tongue You obviously never drove around Boston!!

No, I haven't driven in the Boston area yet, but here in Vancouver the drivers are not much better, as I am sure others would say the same about drivers in their own areas. Sad

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy