Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

How can I move the separate "Content" folder that was installed?

Last post 02-20-2013, 2:05 by IngolfZ. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-27-2012, 19:38 542068

How can I move the separate "Content" folder that was installed?

Can I move the separate "Content" folder that was installed? When I try to, Pinnacle Studio then doesn't know where it is. How do I change some setting in Pinnacle to look at another location for it? Thanks.
  •  07-27-2012, 20:38 542072 in reply to 542068

Re: How can I move the separate "Content" folder that was installed?

The only time the location of the 'Contents' folder can be changed is during the very first installation of Studio. After that the location is fixed since all versions of Studio share that folder.

Personally I do not use the Public folders if I can avoid it so they are a good a place as any for the contents and other Studio folders. If the 6 Gb or so required by these files is causing disc space problems then consider a bigger system drive or redirect your own user folders (My documents, My videos etc) to another drive.

•  08-04-2012, 14:17 543094 in reply to 542072

I agree with David, I have about 3Tb of external drives hooked up to the PC.( I know some users on the forum will say why so much storage but I also have some very special footage I don't want to get rid of.)

Get a good quality hard drive perhaps 500gb and hook it up to your pc then transfer your video to this for editing later, this leaves your system disc to do its thing while editing which can only help the PC run a little faster too!

•  02-13-2013, 11:46 578653 in reply to 542072

that's an unacceptable answer.  how do i move the content to a new folder and point studio 16 to it?
  •  02-13-2013, 12:03 578658 in reply to 578653

Welcome to the forum, Ronnie.   Telling us that you don't like the answer without giving us any reason why you don't like it doesn't help us give you a solution.  For example, we have no idea what your level of computer knowledge is, nor how your computer is configured.  If you are an experienced user who understands the possible pitfalls, I would suggest that you use a junction point.  But I would not suggest that solution for someone who is inexperienced.  As already stated, the only way to change the directory of the Content folder is upon first installation.  You can therefore uninstall the program, use a registry cleaner and then start over.  If that isn't going to work for you, we need to know why.
  •  02-13-2013, 12:16 578664 in reply to 578653

I have no idea. I am quite happy to install a program where it should be - on the system drive.
  •  02-13-2013, 12:26 578666 in reply to 578664

ok, fair enough.  sorry for my curt response, i dislike programs that don't have simple configuration options.  when I installed studio 16, i was given the option to designate the program installation folder but I could not change the location of the content folder.

I have a SSD as my C: drive and don't want to fill it with program content such as this.  I have multiple TB drives where this sort of data should reside.

Now, short of uninstalling all  versions of studio, is there a way to move the content and set studio 16 to find it?

•  02-13-2013, 14:14 578691 in reply to 578666

Ronnie, I have pretty much the same situation as you with an SSD drive that I don't want to clutter up.  I have used a free utility called Junction Link Magic to link the Content folder that I moved to another drive.   In essence, by using a junction point, my G:\Content folder is treated as if it were the C:\ . . . \Content folder.  However, as I said, I would not recommend this solution for an inexperienced user.  If you accidentally delete or move a junction point, it can mess up your system and files can be lost or unavailable.  If you decide to go this route, read the Junction Magic help files before doing anything.   And don't blame me if something goes wrong.  Geeked

I also agree with you that Studio's configuration options are not presented well.  ISTR that the 16.0.1 patch was supposed to fix some of this, but since you need to install the program before applying the patch, I don't see how that would work.  Perhaps the patch is included in newer distribution discs or downloads and it will be easier for new users to configure where the program files go.   

•  02-13-2013, 14:56 578699 in reply to 578691

thanks for the tip about Junction link, I'll look into that.  I have Studio 16 v. 16.0.0.75 and checked updates but none are listed.  the configuration of files in this version is much better than previous verisons, but there's no place to change the creative elements content location...  cheers.
  •  02-13-2013, 15:39 578709 in reply to 578699

You can download the patch here.

It includes: "Increased flexibility with install locations."  You might be able to uninstall the bonus content and reinstall to a location of your choice.  Let us know if you give it a try.  

•  02-19-2013, 17:59 579859 in reply to 578709

Thanks.  I'll check out the patch.  Why doesn't the patch show up when I check for updates using the ?/support/studio updates?
  •  02-20-2013, 2:05 579893 in reply to 579859

AW: Re: How can I move the separate "Content" folder that was installed?

RonniePowell:
    Why doesn't the patch show up when I check for updates using the ?/support/studio updates?
    A patch is a hotfix and not an update.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy