Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Enable XP Pro x64 use

Last post 02-12-2013, 12:19 by ajmilan. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-18-2012, 1:32 510370

Enable XP Pro x64 use

Pinnacle, please enable bypassing the check for Service Pack 3 when installing Studio 15 so we can use Windows XP Pro X64 Version.  This version only has Service Packs 1 and 2.
    It surely is the fastest operating system for video editing.  I ran the same Hi Def rendering project on Studio 15 HD Ultimate using XP Pro (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit).
    Win 7 could use all 16 GB of RAM and a faster C drive port (AHCI) while XP could use only 3 GB of RAM and an IDE C drive port.  XP ran faster and occupied much less drive space.
    I spent a lot of time and money picking faster components so my editor could handle Hi Def video.  I want to utilize the speed of a fast computer with faster software.
    A programmer could produce this optional patch in much less time than I spent recently identifying a fix in Studio 15 menu linkages.

I have used Pinnacle Studio 10-12 years starting with the primitive DC10 Plus in about 2001 and have used all versions since then. 

•  01-18-2012, 12:27 510451 in reply to 510370

Re: Enable XP Pro x64 use

It will never happen. XP is old news. Time to move on. Since going Vista/Win7, I haven't looked back at XP Pro, which was good. Since you spent a lot of time picking faster computer, you should have updated the OS too. No one is programing for XP. BTW, Studio is a 32bit program you know. While XP still holds a higher market share as of Dec 2011, it is on a steady fast decline while Win7 is going up. If you had tight resources, which would you program for? Something that will be discontinued in a couple of years or something that is on the move up. Also, XP 64 has only a 1% share in the market according to Steam. While not definitive, it surely is pretty close.

Now, if they can get smart rendering and 64bit Win7 in the mix, that would be awesome.

•  01-24-2012, 18:02 511532 in reply to 510451

Budget was not an issue when I upgraded (I have 7 computers - one computer dedicated to video editing.  I assemble my own computers - each one designed to perform specific roles.   I wanted the most bang for the buck.  
    Speed was the goal, and I got more speed but could get even more speed with a simple change.  I bought Windows 7 soon after it came out.  I tested both versions on the same project and XP 32 ran faster than Win 7 64 bit. 
    Just because 7 is new doesn't make it better for video editing.  I have 1 computer dedicated to video editing.  If  XP runs faster and occupies less drive space that makes it better for me.  I use a solid state C drive making space an issue.
    XP x64 Version is still used on servers.

I think we can assume Pinnacle will not make a simple bypass patch for Studio 15.  I have friends working at Microsoft.  I will see if I can find someone who can change the Service Pack from 2 to 3 in Windows XP so Studio 15 will not abort.
    Anybody out there who knows how to add a patch to XP or Studio 15??

•  01-25-2012, 1:20 511567 in reply to 510370

"please enable bypassing the check for Service Pack 3 when installing Studio 15 so we can use Windows XP Pro X64 Version."

Go to the website of: www.microsoft.com and find or search for the patch KB914882. This patch will let you bypass SP3. (I have used this patch with SP2 and installed S14 without any problems at all.)

I am not quite sure if it is also available for the 64 bit, since my computer is a 32 bit version. Big Smile

•  01-25-2012, 2:33 511579 in reply to 511567

64 bit XP was the aborted love child of the Windows family.

Almost no one used it even during the XP era,  and there were few hardware drivers created for it.

And you expect Avid to assign their limited resources to this arcane offshoot of a dying legacy operating system, when Avid barely supports PS15 and AS1.1 in the current Vista/W7 OS environment ??

•  01-25-2012, 8:23 511619 in reply to 511532

cesilb:

Budget was not an issue when I upgraded (I have 7 computers - one computer dedicated to video editing.  I assemble my own computers - each one designed to perform specific roles.   I wanted the most bang for the buck.  
    Speed was the goal, and I got more speed but could get even more speed with a simple change.  I bought Windows 7 soon after it came out.  I tested both versions on the same project and XP 32 ran faster than Win 7 64 bit. 
    Just because 7 is new doesn't make it better for video editing.  I have 1 computer dedicated to video editing.  If  XP runs faster and occupies less drive space that makes it better for me.  I use a solid state C drive making space an issue.
    XP x64 Version is still used on servers.

I think we can assume Pinnacle will not make a simple bypass patch for Studio 15.  I have friends working at Microsoft.  I will see if I can find someone who can change the Service Pack from 2 to 3 in Windows XP so Studio 15 will not abort.
    Anybody out there who knows how to add a patch to XP or Studio 15??

I would be interested in your time trials to determine that running Studio on XP and Win7. I am curious as to your computer specs. I know XP occupies less space, and for many users, even Win95 was good enough for their computing needs. There were many tests done when Win7 came out vs. XP. Anyone can google them and read them. I loved my XP Pro system, but I was limited in RAM with it. Yes, running XP Pro 64 would have freed up all the ram on my computer (4 gigs at the time. Win 32 only showed 3.25gigs), but there were not much driver support or software support.

Enter for me Win7 Pro 64. Look at my system specs at the bottom. Not only can I video edit, use Smartsound, I can also edit images (RAW) and do other things that will help speed my editing that I could not do with XP Pro, because I can do them all at the same time. My videos are usually not just videos, but might include graphics, stills and whatever else  is needed to get the job done. I can edit faster because I can do more without the RAM limitations. I do not have the luxury of having 7 computers for specific tasks. And again, while XP was great, programs are starting to be written (at least in the video editing/image editing) for Win7 64. Not XP anything. That to me is a major factor.

•  01-28-2012, 11:23 512210 in reply to 511619

Reply to Tony P

I pick my own components and assemble computers for specific applications at reasonable prices.  I isolate the Internet with a small cheap separate computer.
    My editor is the newest and fastest.  I had to upgrade when I got into Hi Def.  I use older computers for less demanding applications. 
    I have a 4 computer KVM switch with 3 computers attached to one work station - Keyboard, Monitor, & Mouse.  I use the 4th for temporary attachments - mostly checking friends computers.

My editor has an ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 motherboard and an Intel i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads.  I enable hyperthreading  so it looks like 8 processors.  I have 16 GB RAM and a 64 GB solid state C drive.
    My projects include menus, titles, Photos and other graphics, narration, and music.  The time killer has always been rendering time even with background rendering - 5 to 10 times real time on a slow system.
    My test project was a project about 20 minutes long.  I clocked the render time using Windows 7 x64 version using all 16 GB of Ram.
    Then ran the same project using Windows XP x32 version which could only address 3 GB of RAM.  XP ran a bit faster using much less C drive space.
    I can render hi def projects in real time (render 1 hour project in 1 hour) or a little less than an hour.  Older videos render so fast I haven't timed them.

I don't really need the extra speed that XP x64 probably would deliver, but since I have bought the software I would like to use it and utilize the large memory.
    I have been a programmer.  Bypassing that test for SP 3 should be a very small task.

•  01-29-2012, 14:59 512348 in reply to 511567

Reply to R Vera

Thanks for your suggestion.  I downloaded the patch KB914882 but it would not load into XP x64 Version.

For now I will reload XP x32 bit and continue my contacts with MS people I know in Seattle.  I have little hope of success but I am satisfied with the performance of my computer as it is.

•  01-29-2012, 15:09 512352 in reply to 512348

cesilb, is the speed difference in rendering worth the loss of ram? 
  •  02-01-2012, 10:17 512781 in reply to 512352

Reply to Tony P,

What good is using more RAM if I get slower speed as a result?  I am results oriented not specs oriented or newness oriented.

•  02-02-2012, 8:52 512930 in reply to 512781

cesilb:

Reply to Tony P,

What good is using more RAM if I get slower speed as a result?  I am results oriented not specs oriented or newness oriented.

Maybe I did not phrase the question properly for you. How about a few time trial examples on how much faster your XP is over Win 7? Since I do video editing, it at times requires me to use more than one program. Opening a photo editing program with lots of photos and other ancillary programs require more RAM than would be available for me in an XP system. So, I would either have to deal with a slow swap file or use one program, finish, start another program, finish. Then open the other program to import my work. THAT would give me slow productivity.

I would rather have the ability to use more than one program that might cost me a few seconds in time than have to do my work within the limits of a system with 3.25gigs of ram. Even you acknowledged in one of your posts you would like to make use of more ram.

So tell me, what are your results in numbers?

To quote you in a previous post

My editor has an ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 motherboard and an Intel i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads.  I enable hyperthreading  so it looks like 8 processors.  I have 16 GB RAM and a 64 GB solid state C drive.
    My projects include menus, titles, Photos and other graphics, narration, and music.  The time killer has always been rendering time even with background rendering - 5 to 10 times real time on a slow system.
    My test project was a project about 20 minutes long.  I clocked the render time using Windows 7 x64 version using all 16 GB of Ram.
    Then ran the same project using Windows XP x32 version which could only address 3 GB of RAM.  XP ran a bit faster using much less C drive space.
    I can render hi def projects in real time (render 1 hour project in 1 hour) or a little less than an hour.  Older videos render so fast I haven't timed them.

I don't really need the extra speed that XP x64 probably would deliver, but since I have bought the software I would like to use it and utilize the large memory.
    I have been a programmer.  Bypassing that test for SP 3 should be a very small task.

You yourself claim that XP was a "bit" faster. And you yourself said you want to use the 16gigs of RAM that you can not use with XPx32. It seems that you have wasted your money on your wonderful system that you can not fully utilize, even though you do have Win7 64 and refuse to use it.

•  02-04-2012, 3:26 513312 in reply to 512930

Tony P

I usually edit my photos and music before getting into Studio.  My computer is plenty fast for things I participate in.  The only speed problem has been video display and rendering.  I only timed those processes.
    I have a pretty fast computer with 4 GB RAM for all apps except for video and sound editing.  I may have 3 to 5 programs open on that computer. I have a separate little Internet computer so I don't use virus check on my other two computers.
    The three use the same KB, mouse, and monitors via a KVM switch.  I frequently have the video editor and the general purpose computer going at the same time and bounce back and forth during rendering.

I appreciate your inputs.  I am in California and have a close friend whose grandfather was born in Lublin,  Poland.  Name is ZEZULINSKI.  He has visited relatives there.

•  02-04-2012, 9:10 513345 in reply to 513312

Sometimes, I am a perfectionist to a fault. I edit with all my programs that I use (and sometimes, I use another NLE because of what it can do while PS or AS is open). Win7 requires 2gigs of RAM to be happy. When I work with HDR images from RAW files, it can get pretty RAM intensive. But that is my work flow and why I went with Win7 (I went kicking and screaming since XP Pro was so smooth and I knew it so well).  Bouncing between the different windows has become second nature now along with finally getting a file system naming that I can handle without scratching my head. We all have our "ways" of doing things. As long as the final product works, that is all that matters. 

Before I came to Poland to visit, I had no idea what to expect. Poland of all places to visit. Being a native NY'er, paranoia ruled the day. But once I found out that my paranoia was unfounded, I had a great time. This town has a very very large university population. Lots of medical students from all over the world come here to learn because it is cheap. Where ever you go in most of the malls, there is a sales person that  speaks English. Now, I have retired here. Dragged my stuff from the States. I love the "old world" history with the old buildings. Coming from the New World, this is an exciting adventure. Right now, it's 4degrees outside. I guess I won't be going out today!

•  01-02-2013, 15:13 569247 in reply to 513345

I understand this is an older thread, but thought I'd ask here first before starting a new one.

Do any of you have any experience with, or know if Pinnacle Studio HD v.14 works with Windows XP x64?  This is, of course, SP2, so my concern is with installation of v.14 on this OS.  Does the "SP discount double-check"  Big Smile only apply to the v.15 and higher installation routine?

Thanks.

•  01-02-2013, 16:04 569260 in reply to 569247

I have Studio 14 on Windows XP 32 bit and it works well except when I install some microsoft updates it makes my computer to crash or get the BSOD but have now solved that issue. I think Studio 14 should work well with the 64 bit OS on XP.

I also have W7 with 32 bit OS but rarely use it to edit my videos.

BTW, Windows XP support will cease in mid 2014.

•  01-02-2013, 18:39 569291 in reply to 569260

Thanks, R_Vera.  I've been checking this forum on and off all day to see if anyone has installed, used, and had a generally good experience with v.14 on Win XP Pro x64 (forgot the Pro in my first post).  Even though I'm about to purchase an older hw/sw combination (Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder HD USB Video Capture Device - Includes Pinnacle Studio HD v.14 Software) I still don't want to waste the measly $50 for something that I only plan to use for archiving some old VHS tapes.  I won't be doing anything fancy (no HD, no YouTube uploads, no special FX, etc.) but my "cheap" gene prevents me from dropping the cash.  I suppose I could always return it if I have problems.

Thanks for the heads up on MS support for XP.  By that time I hope to do all my flying in a real airplane so the sim can go away!

Can anyone else say they have v.14 installed and working reasonably well on a Win XP Pro x64 rig?

•  01-09-2013, 8:58 570428 in reply to 569291

Suggestion... before spending your money, you can download S15 Trial and see if that works. If it does, chances are that S14 should work. Mind you, it is not officially supported.

You can download it HERE. I haven't tested the link fully since S15 is discontinued, but you might get lucky!

•  02-11-2013, 20:04 578163 in reply to 570428

Sorry, Tony P, that link no longer works.

Well, I sprang for the Dazzle hw/sw package with Studio v14.  I have issues with the installer 4.5 failing to install.  (see my other post for details): 

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/578160/578160/ShowThread.aspx#578160

I think I'll install it on my old company laptop (XP x32) before turning that in, just to see if a successful install is possible.

•  02-12-2013, 8:32 578269 in reply to 578163

The day I posted it, it worked. That was over a month ago and the link was to Avid. Avid no longer has the Pinnacle line and Studio 15 is the end of the line for legacy Studio.
  •  02-12-2013, 12:19 578343 in reply to 578269

I was able to install S v14 to the Windows XP Pro x32 laptop without a hitch this morning.  Both the x32 and x64 machines have .NET 2, 3, 3.5, and 4 so my plan to uninstall .NET 4 on the x64 machine would likely prove fruitless.

So is the Installer 4.5 failure the "SP3 check" in action?  Has anyone seen a workaround for this?

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy