Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Constant Crashes

Last post 02-22-2012, 13:06 by DevMLUI. 15 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-09-2012, 12:28 514322

Constant Crashes

I know from the comments about the Avid Studio App on the I-tunes store that I am not alone in saying your first job must be to clear up the crashing problems this app produces.  I have not been able to run this app once without it crashing.  Sometimes it crashes when I first try to load it.  Most often it crashes when rendering.  I am using an I-pad 2 with 16g of memory.  I have tried shutting down the I-pad and rebooting - no help.  

Please tell me you are working on this problem since your app is basically "cr-app." 

•  02-09-2012, 12:58 514331 in reply to 514322

Re:Constant Crashes

I've moved your topic from the "no name" bottom forum to this one. I guess it's better.

Take a look at this tutorial at Declic-Video-FX.com.

You seem to have a similar issue than DV managed to solve.

•  02-09-2012, 13:40 514347 in reply to 514331

Re: Re:Constant Crashes

I looked at T Declic-Video-FX.com and his tutorial.  From what I see, he is suggesting you need 4g of free space on your I-pad.  Well, I have 7.5g of space free on mine.  So, this would not seem to be the answer to my crashing problems.  And, NOWHERE in Avid's description do they mention that 4g of free space is needed for smooth operation of this app.
  •  02-09-2012, 15:09 514366 in reply to 514322

Re: Constant Crashes

We are working to resolve crashes on both iPad1 and iPad2. We hope to get an update out soon, which would address a chunk of issues. And we gonna working be right on the next update, addressing more issues. Thank you for your patience.
  •  02-09-2012, 17:45 514409 in reply to 514322

Constant crashes here on iPad 1, 25 GB free. Seems my main problem occurs with iPhone vids imported from iPhone 4. Other vids, images and music do very well as long as no iPhone 4 vids. Also always crash when exporting at 720p HD regardless of vids used.

•  02-09-2012, 17:52 514413 in reply to 514409

vetguy:

Constant crashes here on iPad 1, 25 GB free. Seems my main problem occurs with iPhone vids imported from iPhone 4. Other vids, images and music do very well as long as no iPhone 4 vids. Also always crash when exporting at 720p HD regardless of vids used.

Sorry to hear that. Glad that you can still use the app with non-iPhone videos.

Would it be possible for you to provide us with a video that causes your problems? Can you upload it somewhere? And please specify the exact steps that cause a crash with that video. This would allow us to investigate your specific issue in-house and get to the root of the problem.

•  02-09-2012, 19:27 514423 in reply to 514413

The crashes occur at seemly random times. Sometimes when I first open it to edit or it may let me do a few edits then crash. Sometimes I can do a complete render without a crash and sometimes export to my photos library but usually takes many many restarts of app and or iPad to get a successful  render or export. 

Ive download the Avid file from my iPad with iExplore so all the files and library,caches etc for the avid app are in a 130mb zip file is that ok?  

•  02-09-2012, 19:32 514424 in reply to 514423

vetguy:

The crashes occur at seemly random times. Sometimes when I first open it to edit or it may let me do a few edits then crash. Sometimes I can do a complete render without a crash and sometimes export to my photos library but usually takes many many restarts of app and or iPad to get a successful  render or export. 

Ive download the Avid file from my iPad with iExplore so all the files and library,caches etc for the avid app are in a 130mb zip file is that ok?  

that should be fine, but i'd also like to get your iphone 4 footage in its original form. i want to see if we can break the app with it. and if it does break here, it'll be easier to get to the root of the problem.

•  02-10-2012, 5:22 514476 in reply to 514366

DevMLUI:
    We are working to resolve crashes on both iPad1 and iPad2. We hope to get an update out soon, which would address a chunk of issues. And we gonna working be right on the next update, addressing more issues. Thank you for your patience.

Hi DevMLUI -- you probably don't know me, nor have you likely seen any of my previous posts.

FWIW I have been a long time and loyal Studio user -- long time meaning starting with Studio's first iteration -- the Studio 200.

I have bought nearly every version of your Pinnacle's (Avid's) software since -- including the most recent computer-centric NLE from your company -- a program that was promoted as Pinnacle Studio's advanced successor: Avid Studio.

Its exasperating for me and I think others, to have waited with befuddled frustration for the many complaints we have voiced regarding Avid Studio's shortcomings to be addressed (or even acknowledged) -- yet now we see your team has produced an entirely new program for an entirely new market -- whilst actively patching that program's flaws.

One of the most glaring omissions of Avid Studio is what is called the missing "check marks" issue (explained in detail below) -- a problem that could easily be patched, and never would have arisen had the program been previewed or beta tested with actual Pinnacle Studio users.

There's also a second major issue regarding frame inaccuracy introduced with the 1.1 patch that others can perhaps explain to you in greater depth.

While I admire your teams intent to patch the flawed iPad Studio aggressively, a great many of your loyal users find it incomprehensible that their investment in your software is being ignored and disrespected.

Many of these frustrations were expressed in the recently closed "new app for the iPad" thread -- or the thread "COME ON AVID WE NEED AN UPDATE NOW..."

I'd like to hear that you are aware of the frustration that we collectively feel -- and that you anticipate Avid Studio's specific shortcomings will be addressed soon.

Thank you 

BARYE

the following is a summary of the "check marks" issue:

1. check mark on thumbnails etc of library material used on the timeline

2. instant navigation from the library with something like "Find Scene in Project" to its place (or places) on the timeline

3. instant navigation from the timeline with something like "Find Scene in Album" to its specific video frame in the library

(quoted from what was literally the first feature request)

•  02-10-2012, 10:53 514515 in reply to 514476

BARYE-

Your post is both enlightening and disconcerting as far as the problem I reported regarding the I-pad app and it's constant crashing.  While DevMLUI indicates they are working on fixes, your post makes me wonder if that is really the case.  As your reported problems have not been addressed.

Your point about flaws that "never would have arisen had the program been previewed or beta tested with actual Pinnacle Studio users" also would seem to apply equally to the I-pad app.  I wonder who tested this app and how they possibly could have released such a buggy program had it truly been beta tested. Well, time will tell as I wait for the promised updates.  Sorry yours have not been forthcoming.

•  02-10-2012, 15:07 514564 in reply to 514476

Hi Barye,

The Avid Studio for iPad team is a small subset of the Avid Studio for PC team. Rest assured there is a large team of people working very hard on Avid Studio for PC and they have heard your feature requests. Of course, I am not at liberty to say what will or won't be in that product in the future. Window's development is a lot slower beast than iOS development, so please don't take the release of the iPad app as a sign of priorities, but rather as a nice partner app for for the PC version.

Thanks!

•  02-10-2012, 16:11 514585 in reply to 514515

DJ Saunders:

BARYE-

Your post is both enlightening and disconcerting as far as the problem I reported regarding the I-pad app and it's constant crashing.  While DevMLUI indicates they are working on fixes, your post makes me wonder if that is really the case.  As your reported problems have not been addressed.

Your point about flaws that "never would have arisen had the program been previewed or beta tested with actual Pinnacle Studio users" also would seem to apply equally to the I-pad app.  I wonder who tested this app and how they possibly could have released such a buggy program had it truly been beta tested. Well, time will tell as I wait for the promised updates.  Sorry yours have not been forthcoming.

DJ, allow me to put Barye's post in context.  First, the only conclusion you can draw from Barye's post is that HE has not beta tested any Pinnacle/Avid product about which he is complaining.  I say this because

(a) I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of Barye's opinions,

(b) I have no reason to doubt Barye when he says he is an experienced Studio user,

(c) given Barye's strongly held views, and my own knowledge of what he has said ad nauseum on these public forums, I think I can say with confidence that if he were a Beta tester, he would have brought his complaints to the attention of Pinnacle/Avid in the Beta testing framework;

Second, if, as I assume, Barye has not Beta tested the program, he has no knowledge whatsoever of how or why any decisions were made with respect to the feature set contained in the published programs.  Furthermore, you cannot make any assumptions that there were no other well-informed, knowledgeable Studio users who beta tested the program and made their views known to the developers.  It should not come as  a surprise to anyone that any beta testers would be bound by an NDA (Non-disclosure Agreement) that prohibits them from talking about what went on in the beta testing.

Third,  Barye's suggestion that his missing tick marks is " a problem that could easily be patched," appears to be a statement made without any relevant knowledge or appreciation of the issue.  Unless Barye can tell us all that he has a deep computer programming background, he simply does not have a clue about how easy or difficult it would be to add this feature.  I am not a computer programmer either, but I think I know enough to say that NLEs are one of the most complex and resource hungry pieces of software that any consumer is likely to use.  Changing one line of code has to be examined in the context of what it does to every other feature and UI element in the program.  Fix one thing, and you can break 10 others.  Now, if Barye wants to tell us that he does have some relevant experience on the subject, I am certainly prepared to listen.

Fourth, the fact that an Avid developer has responded directly in this thread tells me that Avid is indeed paying attention to what is going on in this forum.  As far as I am concerned, this is the best user forum on the web.  Pinnacle/Avid has sponsored this forum with a minimum of censorship and has allowed a full and fair discussion of issues such as Barye has raised.  We may not always get the desired result from the powers that be, but I cannot be so cynical as to believe that Avid doesn't care about what its paying customers think or want.

And Barye, as you know, I am not trying to single you out here, and I DO agree with most of your comments about making the programs better.  But I also have a little knowledge about how difficult that task is. 

ADDED: My post was written before I saw the response of TMorgan.  Clearly, things are changing around here . . . for the better.  Smile

•  02-11-2012, 3:23 514620 in reply to 514322

DJ Saunders:

I know from the comments about the Avid Studio App on the I-tunes store that I am not alone in saying your first job must be to clear up the crashing problems this app produces.  I have not been able to run this app once without it crashing.  Sometimes it crashes when I first try to load it.  Most often it crashes when rendering.  I am using an I-pad 2 with 16g of memory.  I have tried shutting down the I-pad and rebooting - no help.  

Please tell me you are working on this problem since your app is basically "cr-app." 

DJ Saunders,

Have you applied the solution I propose in my article here ? Not only having > 5 Go free, but also removing part of the "Others" in your iPad, which seems to be things which are not used (synchronisation not being done completely). In my case, that solve the problem (not only the space).
    Try it, it's worth trying...

DV FX
    PS:
    Current known bugs AVID Studio for iPad are summarized here (See FAQ #14).
    PS Bis: Going on holidays skiing, might not answer rapidly...

•  02-14-2012, 14:46 515365 in reply to 514564

tmorgan:

Hi Barye,

The Avid Studio for iPad team is a small subset of the Avid Studio for PC team. Rest assured there is a large team of people working very hard on Avid Studio for PC and they have heard your feature requests. Of course, I am not at liberty to say what will or won't be in that product in the future. Window's development is a lot slower beast than iOS development, so please don't take the release of the iPad app as a sign of priorities, but rather as a nice partner app for for the PC version.

Thanks!

Note this carefully drafted message; it specifically states "they have heard your feature requests". Never a mention of all the many bugs (no need to rehash) we have been complaining about for the last 12 months. I can only infer by this post and AVID’s continued lack of support, that while maybe AVID cares, they have NO intentions of correcting the bugs but possibly release a "new and improved" AS and make us pay for it.  It will be up to us to stay with AVID or not.

•  02-21-2012, 10:41 516622 in reply to 514331

The app was crashing on me too. I turned off "Location Services" (i don't know why that is needed anyway). The app then opens but you don't have access to any of the video or photos on the ipad. I then shut the app down and turned on "Location Services" and the app open and rebuilds the library with access to the photos, music and videos available.

Fix the Glitch.

•  02-22-2012, 13:06 516918 in reply to 516622

Nh-iPad:

The app was crashing on me too. I turned off "Location Services" (i don't know why that is needed anyway). The app then opens but you don't have access to any of the video or photos on the ipad. I then shut the app down and turned on "Location Services" and the app open and rebuilds the library with access to the photos, music and videos available.

Fix the Glitch.

Apple requires every App that access the media have the Location Services enabled (That's why iMovie requires it, too). Apps simply cannot "see" any media on the iPad without the Location Services.

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy