Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

How do I bring AVI video into Pinnacle studio 12

Last post 02-18-2012, 7:35 by Tony P. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-02-2009, 3:32 326887

How do I bring AVI video into Pinnacle studio 12

I have a few short videos made using camstudio which need to be edited into one.

These reside in my documents/My videos, and are .avi file extensions.

they reside in My documents/My videos... when opening pinnacle it does not

provide the option to import these so I can work on them...

Please direct me somebody.

Thank you

Hans

•  08-02-2009, 4:55 326905 in reply to 326887

Re: How do I bring AVI video into Pinnacle studio 12

Attachment: File Folder.jpg

Hello Hans,

When you open Studio it should open with the Edit tab active
    To open an AVI file you do not need to IMPORT the file you only need to click on the folder, which is shown in the top right of the screen shot below (Red Arrow), then navigate to where the AVI files are located and highlight the AVI file and select open, or double click the filename.
    The files you have selected should now appear in your album window in Studio.

If the file does not open when you do this it may be that Studio cannot handle that type of AVI file, there are many different types of AVI files.
    If you cannot open it this way please post back with any error messages that may appear.
    You should also tell us which version of Pinnacle software you are using.

HTH

•  01-03-2012, 15:19 507802 in reply to 326905

I am also facing the same problem. Only .wmv and mp4 files can be opened at my system.

The error I am getting is as follow:

This video file "(address of the video file)" could not be opened.

I am using PS 15 right now with windows 7. 

•  01-03-2012, 16:46 507814 in reply to 507802

TurtleDoublequick:

I am also facing the same problem. Only .wmv and mp4 files can be opened at my system.

The error I am getting is as follow:

This video file "(address of the video file)" could not be opened.

I am using PS 15 right now with windows 7. 

As previously mentioned there are many different types of AVI files and not all types can be opened by Studio.
    Could you please post the source details of your AVI file(s).
    Are they files from a camera, the Internet or some other source.

If you want to check the ability of your system to import AVI files you could try using the sample files supplied with Studio which are in mpg format.
    Place the sample mpg clip on the timeline and using the make movie function make a short AVI file, which you can then try to open with Studio.
    If this works then it is a good indication that the AVI files you are havng trouble with may have to be converted before importing into Studio.
    If you need a conversion program these are avaiable for free on the Interet. If you need more information please post back here.

You can find the sample project under the 'Help' menu.

•  02-06-2012, 4:20 513634 in reply to 326887

I downloaded CamStudio 2.6 (it's free) the other day and ran into this same problem.  Studio 12 Ultimate does not not recognize the AVI files from CamStudio, so will not open/import them.

I downloaded AVS Video Converter 8.1 (its results are watermarked until you pay money) and was able to import the AVI files from CamStudio and re-save them as AVI so Studio 12 could then open them.  Now to make a movie and see if the result looks good.

Another way that I have imported AVI from CamStudio into Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate is to open the AVI first in VirtualDub (it's free) and use DivX compression on the AVI.  Then Studio 12 will open the AVI that way also.

•  02-06-2012, 9:11 513683 in reply to 513634

remake the AVI files by usinng Windows Movie Maker (if it can detect it). Then try again in pinnacle studio.

or

download a free or trial version of a video converter and try converting the AVI into Mpeg file.

•  02-06-2012, 10:56 513709 in reply to 513683

Ok.  Lots of testing done on this.  In a nutshell... I updated my DivX encoder.  It creates much bigger files from CamStudio's AVI than my older DivX encoder did.  The old one cut the AVI files down to 1/3 their size.  The updated one cuts the AVI files down just in half.  Still smaller than the originals though.

Anyway, after loading the DivX AVI files into Studio 12 Ultimate, I was able to save out WMV at 1280 x 720 just fine, MPEG-2 at 1280 x 720 just fine, and MPEG-4 at 1280 x 720 just fine.  The MPEG-2 file was huge, and looked the best quality.  MPEG-4 was the smallest file and looked only very slightly dithered.  I used defaults settings for all three saves.

•  02-17-2012, 16:57 516029 in reply to 513709

One detail to add though.  When doing cinerama aspect movies (I know, why am I doing cinerama?), my source frames that I load into VirtualDub (to make the AVIs from) are 720 x 250.  VirtualDub doesn't like that idea or doesn't know I'm doing it or doesn't care.  All I know is that Studio 12 hates the idea and so chooses not to load such AVIs.

I found out last night though that if I load a 720 x 250 AVI into Windows Media Player 11 (I've been using version 10 for years, but thought 11 should have all the bugs worked out by now, so I updated) and then resave it, Studio 12 becomes a happy camper and will load the 720 x 250 AVI and play it all day.  From it I then make a 720 x 480 MPEG-2 movie with all the cool letterboxing (the top and bottom stuff).

Others here are rolling their eyes about now. :)

•  02-18-2012, 7:35 516103 in reply to 516029

Not really. There have been people wanting to import CamStudio into PS without much success. You have taken it to another level providing a work flow that will achieve the results that others have been looking for. Great work!
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy