Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

GoPro cameras, etc. ...

Last post 12-07-2018, 10:34 by kiteflyer. 669 replies.
Page 5 of 27 (670 items)   « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-21-2013, 5:22 617661 in reply to 617648

Re: GoPro cameras, etc. ...

Merry Christmas to you also Jeff!! Wink
  •  12-23-2013, 19:14 617906 in reply to 617661

Tony P:
    Merry Christmas to you also Jeff!! Wink

I've an Xmas present for you Tony... 

Its a VERY cool implementation of 360 POV technology,  using multiple (5-6) GoPros

You have complete control over what you look at,  freely rotating what your perspective is beneath a camera hung from a flying drone

to learn more about how its done,  Watch this

•  12-24-2013, 16:43 617973 in reply to 617906

Freaky!!! There is someone else doing the 360 with lens attachments for virtually any camera.

I would love to get a quad copter and gopro for some air borne shots, but the coast of admission is a little too high right now!

•  12-24-2013, 22:33 617983 in reply to 617973

the total price of that 3d package -- 5-6 Black GoPro 3+ cameras, approx. $600 for the mount and stitching software, a current model well stabilized quadracopter -- would likely be well under $5K. (or about £40,000, for those playing with Monopoly money).

If you think of what professional rigs with that kind of capability and quality normally cost, its a steal.

My hesitation (aside from not being able to afford it), is that there's no "normal" application for this.

Yes you could probably peal out specific angles -- and maybe even electronically create artificial dolly and crane moves -- but the full awesomeness of this is lost in a conventional video.

I much more foresee this being adopted to high end experiential "visits" to expensive properties -- real estate agents using this system to immersively show clients EXACTLY what both the interior and exterior of a home looks and feels like.

Used together with Oculus Rift virtual reality glasses,  this system would be killer ...

•  12-25-2013, 3:26 617989 in reply to 617983

$5,000=£3100=€3700

Either there is a rogue zero there or you know more about the future of the global economy that we do Smile

•  12-25-2013, 3:48 617993 in reply to 617989

jjn:

$5,000=£3100=€3700

Either there is a rogue zero there or you know more about the future of the global economy that we do Smile

it would be the latter ...

(after accounting for depreciation, inflation, VAT, the BEEB tax, etc, etc ...) 

•  12-25-2013, 16:08 618024 in reply to 617993

While BARYE is out spending some of his ill gotten fortune, maybe he can take a look at THIS camera. Miniature HD broadcast camera. You can fit two in the palm of your hand......
  •  12-26-2013, 7:19 618046 in reply to 618024

Tony P:
    While BARYE is out spending some of his ill gotten fortune, maybe he can take a look at THIS camera. Miniature HD broadcast camera. You can fit two in the palm of your hand......

BARYE prefers to think of his ill gotten fortune as the deeply heartfelt expression of love for him -- by his enemies ...

That Marshall camera is targeting a pretty narrow niche: applications that require externally recordable, and externally powered mini cameras.

In none of the articles about the camera do they tout superior imaging characteristics in comparison to the Black GoPro 3+.

They talk about lens interchangeability, frame and bit rate flexibility, and extended and externally monitored recording.

But if that's an important need, the GoPro can also be externally powered -- and using HDMI it can be configured to record to an external Ninja recorder.

At $500 the Marshal isn't especially pricey (particularly for someone w/BARYE's GINORMOUS ill gotten fortune), but its still pricier than a GoPro.

No doubt some sports and reality shows will find the various lens options to be of value and will buy a dozen or so to keep in their quiver.  But I'd be VERY surprised if these found wide adoption.

RedShark has a brief but informative article on the Marshall as well ...    

•  12-26-2013, 7:32 618047 in reply to 618046

Well, I just got some repeat fees through, so I've cracked and ordered a Hero 3+ Black.

Haven't quite managed to get the Quadcopter agreed by the ways and means committee yet, but I have a Cunning Plan... 

•  12-26-2013, 12:54 618074 in reply to 618047

THIS is the quad I was looking at for some time. It does what I would like, can't get lost and knows how to return "home" if something happens.

Toss in that Black 3+ and you are good to go. I already have a series of shots I would like to make with it. But alas, I have no ill gotten fortune as others have (not you Jeff.... our simian bone-a-part).

•  12-26-2013, 16:38 618094 in reply to 618074

That's the one I too have bookmarked, Tony. The great thing about having such high taxes is that when something is tax deductible I save a lot of money ;-)

The cunning plan

•  12-27-2013, 1:25 618103 in reply to 618094

jjn:

That's the one I too have bookmarked, Tony. The great thing about having such high taxes is that when something is tax deductible I save a lot of money ;-)

The cunning plan

... proving once again that the 2 words that should never be adjacent to each other in any language are: British & comedy ...

Alas all is not bleak when it comes to English high culture. Tonight on the telly BARYE learnt that in Lincolnshire England British literature is actually experiencing a bit of a renaisance  (within that thoroughly modern oeuvre: "chick lit".)

Watching this, I can't help but feel inspired to ask myself such profound philosophical questions as to what came first -- the chicken or the egg ...

But back on topic (and endeavoring as always to be helpful),  I thought it worth mentioning that 2 weeks ago BARYE attended a Video Expo Convention in which he was shown a quadcopter mounting a GoPro 3+ using a brushless gimbal. Somehow this system generated ABSOLUTELY stable video -- both outside and within the convention center.

(attached is a pic of BARYE holding one of the quadcopters...)

•  12-27-2013, 3:49 618111 in reply to 618103

"But one egg company owner says it isn't all tongue and beak." Tongue IN beak surely? They don't even understand their own puns.

Those gimbals seem very expensive in comparison to the rest of the kit.

•  12-27-2013, 6:45 618129 in reply to 618111

Love the British humor!

As for gimbals, well, as Jeff said, EXPENSIVE. Then you need the video feed to to see what you are gimballing.... Don't want a video full of the props spinning!

As for that quad, they keep making updates on it which is good. I was seriously thinking of getting in with kickstarter, but hate being a paying "beta tester". Wink

Still, if by some chance I do get a sizable spendable cash infusion, that, along with some other gear will be on my list. 

•  12-29-2013, 2:50 618267 in reply to 618129

Perhaps my take on British "humour" is too harsh, too categorical.

Mr. Bean, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, et al.  Classic masterworks for the ages.

Maybe I should show more respect for a cultural tradition whose spectrum of comedic expression runs the gamut between sophomoric and juvenile...

As for that gimbal -- B&H in NYC sells it for $369 (or about 6 1/3 wheelbarrows of Euros, for those needing to make the conversion).

Expensive ??

I don't know if this unit performs as well as the gimbal I saw -- but if it does, that price in dollars seems very fair.

What I was shown is apparently a newer, improved, and more expensive design -- but one that is able to completely isolate the GoPros from the terrible effects of the quadcopter's "harmonic strobing".  (Strobing makes video shot from these drones essentially useless.)

What I was shown had some form of gyroscopic stabilization -- and I think it was much more costly -- maybe nearly $1000. (but I didn't go there to see quadcopters, and the price I heard seemed to me high -- so truthfully my recollection of what I saw is fairly hazy.) Strangely they didn't have their own booth, but rather Adobe seems to have given them a part of its space. 

•  12-29-2013, 3:56 618271 in reply to 618267

The price seems to be going up and up here.

Looking at footage shot by the standard Phantom and a Gopro, it isn't brilliantly stable but with care is still fascinating to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjH1rOvbHY

The Gimbals do make a significant difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9s31AJL4Q

The mark 1 Phantom - the cheap one - needs to be hacked to get the Gimbals to work, but the Vision 2 can be bought with a gimbal that fits as stands for £630 with the Gimbal.

http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phantom-2--h3-2d-zenmuse-gimbal-combo-1186-p.asp

Next hurdle - spare batteries for the mark 1 are £20, but for the 2 are £100.

And I think there is an issue with using the phone/tablet app to control the GoPro - it has about a 2 second lag. So for POV flying you are going to need a proper video TX/RX set.

•  12-29-2013, 7:00 618289 in reply to 618271

The gimbal stuff is clean, stable and long.

Most of the non-gimbal video is made up of short 3 second cuts.

Obviously a hobbyist doesn't need a gimbal when he's shooting his kid's soccer game (or as its known across the pond: futzball).  

But what makes this total kit a killer, is that its SO clean and SO controllable. It genuinely has professional applications together w/the Black 3+.

By the time you buy the copter and camera, spending more buying the gimbal is but a minor necessity. (what's involved in hacking the 1 ?)

BTW -- the system I saw had only a ten minute flight time w/their batteries.

•  12-30-2013, 6:18 618388 in reply to 618289

And while you toss in the gimbal, you need the visuals to see what you are "gimballing" to. So, this rig with camera is rather expensive for a retired gov't worker's pocket. While I have a lot of ideas and shots that can be done with it, there are other things I would have more use for and use more than this. So, it too is added to my "if I only had BARYE's money" list.

The PHANTOM 2 with gimbal and better rotors and battery life is under $900 at B&H. Not a bad price. Toss in the camera, and away you go! Hmmm..... by the time I get to the States next year........

•  12-30-2013, 19:04 618468 in reply to 618388

Tony P:

And while you toss in the gimbal, you need the visuals to see what you are "gimballing" to. So, this rig with camera is rather expensive for a retired gov't worker's pocket. While I have a lot of ideas and shots that can be done with it, there are other things I would have more use for and use more than this. So, it too is added to my "if I only had BARYE's money" list.

The PHANTOM 2 with gimbal and better rotors and battery life is under $900 at B&H. Not a bad price. Toss in the camera, and away you go! Hmmm..... by the time I get to the States next year........

well not exactly ready to go ...

"Warning: Never use the DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter with your GoPro camera's WiFi.

Both the DJI Phantom's Wi-Fi and the GoPro camera's Wi-Fi run on the same frequency, so if you use them together when both Wi-Fi systems are engaged, the DJI Phantom's transmitter will lose the ability to communicate with the DJI Phantom Quadcopter. When this happens, you won't be able to tell the Phantom where to fly and this may well result in the loss of your Quadcopter or damage to your equipment."   (rewritten by BARYE)

Stupid engineering design by Phantom,  neglecting to check which frequency the GoPro uses -- and to not find a different one for their controller. (some might even think it braindead in stupidity ...) 

In order to monitor and properly frame anything you shoot from this drone, you'd need to buy a discreet video transmitter that uses a different Wifi frequency than the Phantom's:

Teradek -  Clip H.264 Transmitter for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle --  Price: $599.00  

•  12-31-2013, 3:12 618497 in reply to 618468

Well, it doesn't look as if the GoPro wifi app is real time enough for anything serious anyway.

Check out the DJI phantom 2 VISION, though. That has it's own wifi built in and they have shifted the TX frequencies. Now what they need is a Vison 2 that allows you to use a gropro instead of the built in camera

•  12-31-2013, 3:46 618502 in reply to 618497

DTVPro:

Well, it doesn't look as if the GoPro wifi app is real time enough for anything serious anyway.

about a 2-3 second delay -- presumably because of limitations in the camera's processing speed (I'm assuming that the wifi chores are relegated to secondary status).

The GoPro 3's Wifi is dodgy at best anyhow -- as I've written about previously.

But likely it will improve in future iterations -- especially if that chip you've mentioned gets used

•  12-31-2013, 15:31 618582 in reply to 618497

DTVPro:

Check out the DJI phantom 2 VISION, though. That has it's own wifi built in and they have shifted the TX frequencies. Now what they need is a Vison 2 that allows you to use a gropro instead of the built in camera

just had a chance to look at your link to the Phantom 2 VISION.

In advance of watching the video comparing the GoPro w/the Vison 2's own integrated camera, I was expecting the quality of some cheap Chinese knockoff.

Thankfully its quite usable -- and potentially better than the GoPro for some situations and applications.

On first viewing it looks like the Vision 2's camera is MUCH superior to the GoPro's.

But its hard to judge based solely on a single Youtube split screen comparison.  It appears as though the Vision 2's camera is much contrastier than the GoPro -- and maybe has had its sharpness and color enhanced in a way that would make its images natively more appealing to the normal viewer.

Perhaps the GoPro's less contrasty and less saturated look is based on how it was configured -- and that ultimately its intended to be optimized during post ... (BTW -- he uses a non + version of the GoPro 3 -- nor does his state if it was a Black or Silver). 

In any event the Vision 2 is a major upgrade from the previous iteration of the Phantom -- well worth getting for the improvements in the integrated brushless gimbal, the integrated improved range Wifi (that transmits live real time video on a non-GoPro conflicting frequency, plus battery info, and telemetry,  etc.), and the integrated camera.

The props have apparently been "tuned" and balanced to improve stability -- and they now attach to the aircraft in a self tightening user friendly way.

If I had the money and the application for it right now, I would spend $1200 (plus 2 spare batteries @ $160 ea.) -- over attempting to gaffer tape gimbals, transceivers, and cameras etc. to the previous generation Phantom.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999838-REG/dji_djphvision_phantom_vision.html

•  01-01-2014, 4:52 618601 in reply to 618582

perhaps you've already seen this -- but if not you ought be aware of something on the Amazon comments page as concerns defective Phantom batteries (or power supply).

It seems that the batteries are too often without warning subject to sudden catastrophic failure -- resulting in the Phantom turning into a $1200 kamikaze paperweight. ...

"... I was greeted with an 'invalid battery' alert which in turn makes the craft come straight down and land...wherever it may be. I was lucky and was over land however it did tumble through a tree before landing on pavement. It survived nearly unscathed minus a few minor scratches. The 'invalid battery' warning will not go away even after cleaning the contacts and making sure all the battery contacts are perfect. I returned it because after 5 minutes, it will no longer fly...

...I was lucky in that my craft was not destroyed by the landing. I have read people losing them over water when this occurs leaving them with no craft to recover. I could not imagine how angry I would be if I had lost mine due to a problem no fault of my own..."

•  01-01-2014, 15:38 618651 in reply to 618601

Besides, how far would you trust GoPro WiFi?

You would figure on testing the battery life while learning to fly the thing. And going over water.... well, that would be the early part of the flight for me. And are this issues in the current build? Besides, there is a firmware upgrade that is suppose to take care of the problem. By the time I get one, everything will be worked out!

While the built in camera is nice, the versatility of the GoPro would be better. 

But then, another "dream" toy.....

•  01-01-2014, 21:10 618675 in reply to 618651

if you read more of those Amazon comments Tony, you'll see that most people are saying that the firmware upgrade has not fixed their issues.

I'm guessing that its a manufacturing glitch that's affecting batches of batteries -- and maybe the firmware is attempting to tweak the power electronics and sensors on the Vision to better monitor and maybe better warn when there's an issue. I don't know...

In any event, today's NY Times (the world's best news publication), has a lengthy and laudatory review of the Phantom 2 Vision -- and its camera.

Page 5 of 27 (670 items)   « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy