Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Film Look

Last post 08-30-2011, 11:57 by cjwonder. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-28-2011, 18:39 488820

Film Look

I searched and read past threads on this subject but still have a question about adding film look to my video clips. I have Studio 134 ultimate collection and checked out Magic Bullet, but there are sooo many choices I'm not sure which one is best for me. I just want a basic "film look" added. I tried to open the help took but it just feezes and doesn't offer any choices. How can I add just basic film look?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CJ

•  08-28-2011, 18:40 488821 in reply to 488820

Re: Film Look

Uh that would be Studio 14 (unless I'm way behind the times and they are up to version 134!)

CJ

•  08-28-2011, 23:03 488839 in reply to 488821

I don't get exactly what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to make an antique video. You may want to try the RTFX Volume 1 (old film advanced),  Studio Ultimate RTFX (old film).

•  08-29-2011, 2:22 488854 in reply to 488839

Thanks for the response R_Vera. I want to give video a look closer to film. Not antique or old film, but a film like appearance (or as close to it as can be had). I have Magic Bullet but it has so many different settings and FX in the film look section I am asking if anyone knows which one comes the closest to film.

CJ

•  08-29-2011, 3:11 488856 in reply to 488854

Well the point about the Magic Bullet Looks film effects is that they correspond to the various types of looks you can get from film. The "Look" of a film consists of many things, and often these are elements that make the image look less like "reality".

Bad film has grain and a certain amount of jitter, as well as scratches. Modern top class film will ,be free from these blemishes but the colour and contrast handling varies with the film stock used and the way the DOP has asked the lab to develop the stock.

Two things that distinguish large format film (35 or 70mm) from untreated video are Latitude (the stop range that can be captured and therefore rescued during the grading process) and a narrow depth of field. Neither of these can be changed easily with any sort of post-production filter - once the information is lost you can't get it back, and selectively making background or foreground object more out of focus isn't really practical. Notice that the latest video cameras used for "film" production are the RED camera and the 5D/7D, both large format sensors and thus able to achieve shallow depth of field.

With domestic video cameras you might find a "portrait" or similar setting that reduces the depth of field as much as possible. You may have a shutter setting that can be fixed at 30/25/24 fps rather than using the shutter to control the exposure. You may find that using a progressive setting gives you a movement rendition closer to film (but if any part of your display path involves interlacing it may look worse). If you have a camera which has full manual control and a filter ring you can strive to shoot video in a manner that looks more like film. Careful lighting is something else that makes people subjectively believe that something has been shot on film - as do high production values. You may be surprised at how may "films" are actually shot on video.

MB Looks is one of the better products on the market for achieving film looks; you just need to know what sort of look you want Wink

•  08-29-2011, 3:38 488860 in reply to 488856

Sorry, I meant to add that the MB Looks that comes with Studio isn't the full shilling - it's not possible to build up a custom look that isn't based on one of the presets. However, most of the "Basic" presets will give you a good starting point if you want to experiment with what the controls actually do.
  •  08-30-2011, 11:57 489126 in reply to 488860

Thanks for your excellent input, jjn!

CJ

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy