Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Movie plays beyond end of chapter briefly before returning to menu

Last post 10-12-2021, 3:28 by saby. 87 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (88 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-17-2015, 18:14 668961 in reply to 668957

Re: Movie plays beyond end of chapter briefly before returning to menu

Thanks,

I think I've exhausted any "testing" or input I could do at this point.  Richard looks to be on top of it.  I appreciate both of your help and interest in this problem.  I'll be checking this thread often for any updates.  If for some reason I can help with anything ...let me know.  I have a lot of dvd's to create.

Thanks again, Mark

•  03-17-2015, 21:28 669013 in reply to 668961

I believe that I may have now identified the root cause of the problem:

When Studio renders the content during the first phase of the export, it creates an MPEG-2 file (video stream) having a nice uniform GOP structure. But it doesn't take account where the project's chapter markers are (and for correct navigation the video stream should have an I-frame there). So the DVD navigation instead goes to the next I-frame along (can be up to a dozen frames into the material belonging to the next chapter - hence the unwanted "flash" of that chapter.

Your current workaround is probably the easiest - if you had lots of patience and time to waste you could try tweaking the length of each chapter to get the chapter boundaries lining up with the I-frames in the rendered file (would be FIDDLY!!)

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-19-2015, 20:56 669213 in reply to 669013

Hi Richard,

You might be right in your assumption regarding some of the scenarios, but at least in my case the problem seems inconsistent with this hypothesis. As I said, up to 7 or even 8 seconds of the next chapter are played and that's well over a hundred frames with many I-frames among them.

By the way, I haven't yet shared one of my interesting findings: when I remove the first 2 hours of the video, leaving just about half an hour including the "bonus material" chapters, the problem disappears. So it is somehow related to the length of the movie (disc).

Best regards,

Alexey 

•  03-19-2015, 21:30 669218 in reply to 669213

AlexeyBg:
    You might be right in your assumption regarding some of the scenarios, but at least in my case the problem seems inconsistent with this hypothesis. As I said, up to 7 or even 8 seconds of the next chapter are played and that's well over a hundred frames with many I-frames among them.
    Are you able to reproduce the issue in a short project, that when saved as a poackage, is small enough to be shared in the cloud?

All of my test projects have been short - a couple of minutes or less, and even the longer projects (~ 20 minutes) shared by another user experiencing the poor "alignment" of the chapters/returns only showed the small error of up to half a second. So your error is definitely a more unusual one, and it could well be enlightening if you are able to reproduce that error in a small project and share that project as a package in the cloud.

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-19-2015, 21:48 669221 in reply to 669218

I'll definitely try but the experiments I've done so far indicate that the problem only happens when the project is long (mine is 2 and a half hours). Still, if I succeed, I'll try to share the project through the cloud.
  •  03-19-2015, 22:58 669228 in reply to 669221

My longest "real" projects done in PS18 have been about 1 hour 45 minutes; one had quite complex menu structure with main menu and two chains of sub-menus (including the ability to get to the same clip from up to three different menus)! But no nasty delayed chapters there - nothing worse than the "up to half a second" error that I now understand the reason behind...

I have edited longer movie projects in PS16 and PS18 - but in those cases I had to export a file and create the disc in PS14 as I needed more chapter points in total than PS16/18 would allow.

Here's hoping that either the problem goes away, that another patch comes out and it gets fixed, or that you can reproduce the issue with a test project that can be shared in the cloud (even if to get the length you have to put 100 copies of "The sky is the limit" stock video end-to-end)!

Regards,
    Richard

•  07-24-2015, 19:55 682746 in reply to 669228

Still fails after updating from PS 18.1.0.602 To 18.5.1.827

Failure: When playing a DVD with a title page before and after each video segment and M1 flags at each chapter end.  Before returning to the main menu "some" frames of the next chapters title page is displayed, it should not.

• Playing the DVD with:
    • TV-DVD Player - shows the problem
    • Win Media Player - shows the problem
    • VLC - plays properly

•  10-09-2015, 15:52 690542 in reply to 682746

Does anyone know if this problem been fixed in PS 19?

Thanks.

•  10-09-2015, 17:10 690557 in reply to 690542

Yes, me.

It is not fixed ! Tongue Tied

•  08-23-2016, 20:39 718795 in reply to 690557

Anyone know if this is fixed in PS 20 ?

Thanks,

Mark 

•  08-23-2016, 20:49 718797 in reply to 718795

AFAIK, nothing has been touched by Corel in PS20's authoring feature.

My guess : the issue is still there. But I did not try it yet with a long project in PS20. 

•  10-11-2021, 21:15 817467 in reply to 718797

I find it sad that that five years and 4 version later, this issue is still present in Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate.   Given it is now "Legacy" and disabled by default, I don't see much hope for Pinnacle 25.   It seems this has been abandoned, but I don't see another way to build menus with the sophistication that was available in PS 14/15 or even back in Studio 9.
  •  10-12-2021, 3:28 817468 in reply to 817467

Given the decline of DVD export for years, I doubt they will spend more money to fix a feature that is less and less used.
Page 4 of 4 (88 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy