Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

GoPro cameras, etc. ...

Last post 12-07-2018, 10:34 by kiteflyer. 669 replies.
Page 4 of 27 (670 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-16-2013, 7:47 607541 in reply to 607533

Re: GoPro cameras, etc. ...

I also noticed the "fisheye" effect is a little less in the 3+.

But the cost of this camera is high. And upgrade from a 1 or 2, maybe. But if you just bought the latest.... ouch.

•  10-16-2013, 13:02 607567 in reply to 607541

but the quality of this tiny camera is SO high, it could be (it will be) used in applications that have nothing to do w/action.

The quality improvement is really significant.

I wonder about the Silver plus -- I've seen/heard nothing about it

•  10-17-2013, 5:30 607682 in reply to 607567

I would hope that the Silver+ would have the same video quality minus the Black's additional features (whatever they may be). I am impressed with the image quality of the camera. You are right that it can be used in other situations that aren't action oriented. I like the look of it and the lack of the pronounced "fisheye" effect. Low light looked great. But the price.... $400! I would like the LCD which would add another $80. So, $500 for the setup, not including additional mounting stuff (good think I still have my Hero2 Outdoor Edition stuff).

Nice, but a little expensive. But they can charge that price and get it because they are GoPro, the leader. 

•  10-17-2013, 6:18 607689 in reply to 607682

Tony P:

...I would like the LCD which would add another $80...

have you used the WiFi app ??

When it works, a smartphone or tablet or iTouch can be your monitor. (BTW, the GP3's WiFi is especially is unreliable).

In most cases having a monitor,  remote from the device is an advantage.

For example I can mount the camera in a weird spot on my bike, and still be able to monitor it via my smartphone taped to the handlebars ...

Added --

I don't have the link handy, but the "fisheye" effect has possibly been reimagined in a new and interesting way that utilizes the 4:3 imager  -- I'll try to find the reference.

•  10-17-2013, 7:43 607711 in reply to 607689

I don't have a GoPro right now. But I do like the idea of a monitor to actually see what the camera sees. Yes, you can use Wifi... a good alternative, but you say it is unreliable. It isn't a necessity, but one I would like to have. Even without it, it is still $400 in USA, but WAY more here in Europe.
  •  10-21-2013, 14:02 608462 in reply to 606355

Tony P:

The 3button case has the power on off as the single button on one side of the case. You don't have menu selection on that side. I guess it would put the activation buttons too close together. Since there is no menu activation, you don't need the up and down buttons on the opposite side. You do have access to the top Mode and OK buttons.

I plan on ordering it next month. Here on Ebay.uk, most of the sellers only sell it with a 3button case, so should be good to go. While it would be nice to have buttons for all the controls, I set thinks up and am more interested in the turning on and off. Sure, Wifi would be nice, but I can live without it. 

As mentioned on 10/5 I ordered one off of ebay, and it arrived on 10/17. 

It does not come with a card so I bought a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card at Best Buy, about $30. So add that to the cost if you don't have a spare laying around. The instructions are as clear as mud Wink, as usual, so I tinkered with it a bit just trying stuff on the fly so to speak. But it does help to have the instructions (just pictures) when trying to assemble components. The booklet is only minimally helpful, ,imho. Just play with the buttons until you figure it out, it wasn't that hard.

A few days later when the weather was a bit nicer I decided to try the handlebar mount and take the bike out for a spin. As soon as I put it all together I knew the video was going to be completely shaky because the handlebar mount has the camera about 4" above the handlebar. So the handlebar mount is a total waste of time. The video itself wasn't too bad (when I wasn't moving) but I won't waste time posting any of it. Suffice it to say that it loaded in PS16 just fine and editing was no problem.

If the weather cooperates a little I will try the helmet mount next and I'll post some video from that. Could be a few days though.

A couple things I found out. The camera does not recognize NTFS formatting. The ride I took was about an hour long so when I got home I expected a one hour video. There was only about 31 minutes and a little over 4GB used out of 29.7GB available. I checked and the card came formatted as FAT32 so I formatted it to NTFS. The camera didn't recognize it. So I re-formatted it in the camera and the camera did it as FAT32.

I would have hoped that the camera would have continued recording with another 4GB file. If it's going to stop recording every 30 minutes or so, that is definitely a problem. The card is capable of recording 3 hours or more. Maybe it was a coincidence Sad

to be continued,

Joe

•  10-21-2013, 14:32 608470 in reply to 608462

The streets where I live would be a disaster with anything mounted on the bike unless it has a steadicam (the real thing) attachment. With the deceased GoPro, it was helmet mounted and worked ok. I never ran it for 30 minutes since I did "in camera" editing by stopping the filming while waiting for traffic lights to change. When riding in the forest on the mountain bike trails, there were spots I just had to walk because I did not feel like getting a possible injury .... so, camera pause.

I can live with 30 minutes for me. It's the video quality I am looking for at a price that I can afford.

ADDED: firmware update. More for the screen saver option. 

•  10-21-2013, 15:31 608479 in reply to 608462

loosecannon:
    ...So I re-formatted it in the camera and the camera did it as FAT32.

I would have hoped that the camera would have continued recording with another 4GB file. If it's going to stop recording every 30 minutes or so, that is definitely a problem. The card is capable of recording 3 hours or more. Maybe it was a coincidence Sad

to be continued 

thanks -- let us know if the 30 minute glitch gets worked out --

and at some point maybe Youtube/Vimeo some samples, both daytime and evening...

(BTW, what mounts did it come with ??)

•  10-21-2013, 20:50 608494 in reply to 608479

Here's a scan of the booklet showing the accessories that came with it. I got everything you see plus a large, double sided sheet of paper showing how to put together various configurations. Twenty three photos (each about 1-1/8"x1-1/8") just to show how to set up the handlebar brackets Tongue TiedCrying 

Accessories

I'll see what I can do about the uploads.

I googled about the FAT32 thing and found some threads. They mentioned something about cyclical recording but I don't see how that would apply since the highest setting is 10 minutes. Unless it will record multiple 10 minutes sessions until the card is full. It's something I'll investigate.

Screen grab from VLC player  This is a screen grab from the video. As shaky as it is, when I freeze it, it's not too bad.

Joe

•  10-22-2013, 1:27 608497 in reply to 608494

Wow -- they've thoughtfully included amongst their accessories, both a rag and a bandage.

(in my case perhaps it would be more useful had they provided several pints of type O blood, surgical needles and thread,  and maybe a vial or two of industrial strength Vicodin ...)

Weird about the FAT32 trouble -- its been years since I've heard of that being an issue.  

The still capture does look decent though -- especially for the price.

•  10-22-2013, 5:58 608520 in reply to 608497

Solution for the FAT32 issue. Set the recording for 10minute clips. It will record continuously until you run out of space. At the point of the clips, there is a slight overlap that will have to be edited out. That should be no problem for those with the superior editing skills here! Wink

"I'm not clear as to why there's so much concern over file sizes, FAT limits, recording times and so on. If you want continuous recording simply set the camera to record 10 minute chunks and it'll continue until the power runs out, overwriting the card hundreds of times. So stick in a 32gb card and pull all the files to your timeline - that way you'll have an uninterrupted 4 hour (or so) movie.

Of course every 10 minutes you'll have a one second overlap, a one second repeat, but that's so easy to delete
    ."
  •  10-22-2013, 6:49 608524 in reply to 608520

easy to fix ??

Maybe.

Annoying ??

Absolutely.

Worth putting up with for the cost ??

Probably not.

•  10-22-2013, 7:11 608528 in reply to 608524

Yes, it is easy to fix when you edit I would think. Annoying? For me, no. Worth the cost? Oh yeah for me. It's under $100. How much for a GoPro? At least twice the price. I can buy two of these for one Hero3 white, and have built in LCD for viewing. Sure, no WiFi, but I don't need that feature.

It's a matter of needs. For me, my needs are simple. I can hack away on the video in the editor.

Joe, how is the video so far? Your thoughts on cost/performance?

•  10-22-2013, 8:03 608533 in reply to 608528

easy to fix ??

Maybe.

Annoying ??

Absolutely.

Worth putting up with for the cost ??

Probably not.

Everything is relative I suppose. I'm not out to make a National Geographic special. If the video from the SJ1000 can't compare to the GoPro, it doesn't matter to me. If I get 80% of the quality for 1/4th the price, it's a bargain. 

If I have to splice together 10 minutes clips, I'll do it. Or I'll remember to stop and re-start the video every 25-30 minutes. It's not like I'll use this every day. If I had known about the FAT32 formatting beforehand, I probably would have bought it anyway Smile

Tony P:

Yes, it is easy to fix when you edit I would think. Annoying? For me, no. Worth the cost? Oh yeah for me. It's under $100. How much for a GoPro? At least twice the price. I can buy two of these for one Hero3 white, and have built in LCD for viewing. Sure, no WiFi, but I don't need that feature.

It's a matter of needs. For me, my needs are simple. I can hack away on the video in the editor.

Joe, how is the video so far? Your thoughts on cost/performance?

The cost is worth it, absolutely. For $85 how can it not be? The camera was rattling on the mount so much I was worried it would shake the thing to pieces but I was already on the trail and didn't have the other brackets with me. I had to stop at 4 or 5 intersections during that 31 minute video of my one hour ride, maybe I'll piece together videos of cars going by . . . .not exactly an exciting bike ride but you'll see what the camera can do. Later today or tomorrow I'll get to it.

I'd like to get in at least one more typical ride of 25-30 miles to try the helmet mount but the weather is not cooperating. It's 29°F right now and will only be in the 40's today. That might be okay for you "youngsters" but I'm 68 and I like it a little bit warmer if I'm going to be out for a few hours.

Joe

•  10-22-2013, 10:06 608552 in reply to 608533

Wow! Someone older than me!! I'm a spry young 61. Weather here where I live, I can still bike. It's my form of transportation.

I mounted the GoPro on my head. I wear a helmet now, so that is where things will have to go. No fancy editing needed. Just your settings and your impression of the video quality. 

Thanks for the report back. 

•  10-22-2013, 15:10 608579 in reply to 608552

Someone mentioned that they updated the firmware and now can't do continuous shooting of stills.

Updated the firmware but don't have a option for continuous shooting in photo menu for time lapse has this now gone? do you have the old firmware? or am I doing something wrong?

So, be careful!

•  10-23-2013, 12:26 608667 in reply to 608579

Here's a link to a short (1:30) extract from the first video I shot. The first 10 seconds just shows how shaky it was. The next section is an area that alternates between sun and shade. The shady area is, I believe, a lot darker than it appears in the video. After that is a few somewhat steady sections where I stopped for traffic. I removed all the audio because all you hear is a lot of rattling from the brackets. This video was created using Premiere Pro and Media Encoder.

SJ1000 sample   m4v file, 275MB, 1:30

Although I have a YT account I don't like to use it, they're a royal PITA. 

I tested the cyclical recording feature this morning, setting it at 3 minutes, and it does record one after another. Each file was about 350MB so I guess it should go until it fills up the card. There was a 1 second overlap which was easy to edit out. I used PS16 to edit the 3 minute videos, actually 2-1/2 of them. I also loaded the original 31 minute mov file into PS16 and it works fine in there. MediaInfo says the audio is 512Kbps, 32KHZ, 16 bit, 1 channel, PCM, in case anyone need to know. The original video is 16.7Mbps, AVC, 1920x1080.

Saturday might be a good enough day to give the camera real workout, could be in the low to mid 50's. But this afternoon, if it warms up to about 47°, I might go to a short one mile trail a few blocks from me and see what I can do. I have the helmet mount all set up and the trail has a good mix of sun and shade. 

I saw the article about the firmware update. Something about fixing the screensaver. My screensaver works so no update for me. My version number is 0831/0831 but I have no idea what it means.

Joe

•  10-25-2013, 5:23 608868 in reply to 608667

Not bad for a sub $100 camera! I was never a handlebar mount person. For me, too much vibration. Although my head wobbles (old age ya know!) not as much rattling, bouncing that a handle bar can give.

When you were stopped, the video was pretty good and had lots of detail. 

Thanks for putting this up!

•  10-25-2013, 6:39 608878 in reply to 608868

weird -- I've downloaded it twice on different PCs, and it doesn't play at all. (neither VLC or QT can handle this .m4v )

(Its not hard to upload to YT or Vimeo.) 

•  10-25-2013, 10:22 608888 in reply to 608878

weird -- I've downloaded it twice on different PCs, and it doesn't play at all. (neither VLC or QT can handle this .m4v )

You're right.  I have PowerDVD and it automatically opened in that but I couldn't get it to work in VLC or QT either. I have a YT account which I use occasionally.  (Road Trip from 2008)

however . . . . .

Yesterday I tried the helmet mount and I was quite happy with the results. I used that cyclical recording set at 10 minutes and it worked great. I got over an hours worth of video in 10 minute segments.

But, the camera position wasn't quite set correctly so the horizon was usually just a bit off the top of the screen. I'm still experimenting after all. And it was cold Crying yesterday, maybe 40° actual, and the wind chill made it feel like 30°. Whenever I had a head wind I seriously questioned my sanity for being out there.

Today it's sunny and supposed to get up to 51-52° (it's 33° now) and I'm going to try it again this afternoon. So I don't want to post any of what I recorded yesterday because today should be much better. I will edit it to a more user friendly format and/or post it to YT. If for some reason I can't make it out this afternoon or tomorrow (also in the 50's) I will use the video from yesterday.

btw, I downloaded a trial copy of prodad's prodrenalin software. I tried it out on the original shaky video. It did an okay job of correcting the fisheye considering there was no preset for the SJ1000 and I just picked one at random. prodad advertises it primarily for the GoPro cameras but they do have other cameras listed in the presets. Do any of you use any other software?

Joe

•  10-25-2013, 11:06 608893 in reply to 608888

p
    loosecannon:

...I downloaded a trial copy of prodad's prodrenalin software. I tried it out on the original shaky video. It did an okay job of correcting the fisheye considering there was no preset for the SJ1000 and I just picked one at random. prodad advertises it primarily for the GoPro cameras but they do have other cameras listed in the presets. Do any of you use any other software?

despite being the first to talk about it here, I've rarely used it. 

You're right that it does a good job with fisheye -- offering a variety of correction (using a fairly wide choice of camera profiles & types).

And it also de-shakes fairly well -- but unfortunately with a fixed degree of correction that I usually find excessive or in some cases unnatural looking.

In my experience I prefer the results that Pinnacle gives.

I paid VERY little for the product -- so I'm not too upset. (though I had been promised an upgrade to the professional version that was not delivered on...)

•  12-14-2013, 23:43 616786 in reply to 602516

Tony P:

@BARYE, I had a flooded GoPro. I wanted to replace it. I lost the GoPro Hero 2, battery and LCD. I sent another email explaining my situation. Nothing. It was an expensive learning for me. Over here in Europe, that setup cost me over $500. Back in the States, it was well under $400. 

Then I started to read about others having service problems, bricked after firmware updates, etc.. So, even though they are the "one" to own, I am looking elsewhere...

perhaps mostly to amuse Tony, I've got some GoPro camera problems to report.

It began when for reasons of idiotic cheapness, BARYE attempted to force a 32gb SD card with fractured plastic sleeve down the throat of a GoPro 2.

It went in all right -- trouble is, somehow this caused the spring locking clutch that grabs and holds the card, to become unsprung. 

No longer would the card stay in camera -- but it would instead be instantly vomited out.

Naturally I called GoPro -- and asked as to what was possible.  

My hope was that they would charge me a reasonable sum for a rudimentary repair.

I know these cameras regularly have damaged lenses swapped out -- I figured an SD card mechanism would be similarly routine. 

Politely they told me that they in fact never repair cameras -- but that if I could show it was under warranty still, they would gladly replace it.

I told them that I didn't think it was -- and in any event I couldn't find the receipt.

Alternatively,  they offered in that case to allow me to send back the damaged camera and instead buy a current model at a discounted price ($330 GoPro 3+; $230 for the Silver +).

Though tempted, I figured there must be someone somewhere who could fix my SD card issue for much less than that. Plus, I didn't really want to buy this year's GoPro 3+ -- in as much as I'm expecting the next version to have 4K 24/30fr). 

I do a deep Google, and call and email a bunch of camera repair shops.  No joy found. Basically none I contacted do GoPro repairs. 

To see if I could possibly replace the card drive myself,  I even read an iFixit autopsy of a GoPro.

Taking the camera apart and eventually getting to the drive section -- I discover its soldered to the camera's main board.

In the mean time a GoPro's Wifi bak has gone bonkers -- refusing to stay powered on, or to connect to the camera etc.

A quick Ebay look that shows that Wifi baks are often available for around $25 ...

After more Googling I eventually find a company called RageCam that thinks they can fix my busted card slot for $65, total.  

I send them the GoPro  along with the Wifi bak.

After they play with it for a few hours they tell me that its too hard to desolder the SD drive  -- but that they were able to completely remove the slot's broken spring -- meaning the card now stays in camera -- but needs to be manually pried out (a fairly simple chore).

They were also able to recover my ailing Wifi bak -- and because they didn't replace the drive as originally promised, they charged a total of $60 for all their efforts. 

•  12-15-2013, 11:11 616856 in reply to 616786

I kinda figured GoPro doesn't do repairs. It's easier to just send out another unit than spend time diagnosing and fixing. At least they offered you the opportunity to by another one at a little discount. I didn't even get that.

Let me know how the fixed camera works. 

I agree with you, GoPro are planning the next release and I too think it will be 4k with a better frame rate. I can see all those people trying it out on all these "4k" supported consumer editors......

•  12-20-2013, 19:44 617636 in reply to 616856

jjn:

as brilliantly conceived and executed as this device seems,  I would wait for its final retail cost and reviews of it, before buying ...

(can there ever be too many GoPro threads -- or (as SNL once asked) too much cowbell ??)  

•  12-21-2013, 3:07 617648 in reply to 617636

Towbar has indeed sent me a link to a review - HERE
Page 4 of 27 (670 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy