Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle studio 23 "time remapping" extreemly slow performance

Last post 08-07-2020, 10:31 by Fullmakt. 67 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (68 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-02-2020, 16:32 802198 in reply to 802196

Sorry, I didn't know about the project export feature, but I put all the relevant files in the same location as the project file and uploaded all source matherial together with the project file. I can make one and upload it to the share if that is still of interest.

As I mentioned previously, I encountered this bug first in PS21, hence why the capture video was done with PS21, I then bought PS23 in the hopes that this bug would have been fixed by then, but alas the issue remained. 

•  08-03-2020, 9:31 802215 in reply to 802198

Re: Pinnacle studio 23 "time remapping" speed increase "CUDA" not working

Hi Fullmakt,

I don't have Version 21 but I do have the Pinnacle trial which is based on PS21 an a separate laptop. I took your red car clip and rendered it to get a baseline. I then increased the speed to 500% and re-rendered.  The result is consistent with my previous finding that the time remap render took a little over 4 times the duration of the baseline. I have not been able to replicate a 13 times duration increase like you experienced. Regardless, even 4 times is not a good result because intuitively the render should be faster than the baseline because the clip has been substantially reduced.   

•  08-05-2020, 15:30 802278 in reply to 802215

Ok, so on my computer it's 13 times, and on yours it's 4 times slower than real time Both are really bad imho. You would expect faster than realtime. There is something fishy going on.

Regarding the comments that it is the source clip at fault. I tried exporting the clip in PS23 to a new clip (no remap) to get a mp4 file with standard 1920x1080 resolution. Then I imported that clip and applied the time remapping and it was just as slow as before.  

•  08-05-2020, 20:10 802289 in reply to 802278

So you are saying ps23 time remapping acts up on ps23 generated clips?  If so, how many fps is the ps23 exported clip?

Is it acting up just on machines with Intel processors?  Seems like it to me. 

•  08-05-2020, 23:27 802291 in reply to 802289

The plot thickens. 

Yes, acsscott, that's exactly it. The exported file from PS23 is  already in the google drive I shared (noremap.movie.mp4 with 29.97fps  according to windows). I see now uppon closer inspection, that in spite of me selecting Format: HVEC, and Preset: HD 1080p, it was exported as 1920x1088. So if resulution that is slightly off is triggering this condition, that might be the reason the exported ps23 clip is also behaving like this.

But my original wmv capture clip is exactly 1920x1080 as far as I can see. So maybe resolution has nothing to do with this at all.

•  08-05-2020, 23:55 802292 in reply to 802291

I've done some more testing, and I recaptured the origial video from youtube again using MultiCam Capture Lite.

It was saved as a 1920x1080 file.

I created a new project and imported this to ps23 and applied 500% time remapping. Export stopped at 1 frame, waited 2 minutes, nothing.

Canceled the export, changed the time remapping to 150%, the export was done in a matter of seconds!

Changed to 250%, it stopped at frame 2. completely stalled again.

•  08-06-2020, 0:02 802293 in reply to 802292

How many fps is the new file you captured?
  •  08-06-2020, 5:07 802298 in reply to 802292

Fullmakt:

I've done some more testing, and I recaptured the origial video from youtube again using MultiCam Capture Lite.

It was saved as a 1920x1080 file.

I created a new project and imported this to ps23 and applied 500% time remapping. Export stopped at 1 frame, waited 2 minutes, nothing.

Canceled the export, changed the time remapping to 150%, the export was done in a matter of seconds!

Changed to 250%, it stopped at frame 2. completely stalled again.

Guys,

Please read my previous post.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/802122/802129/ShowThread.aspx#802129

I too captured using Multicam capture Lite and experienced the same problem. I then took these exact same clips into Video Studio x10, time remapped 500% and rendered. There was no problem as I indicated in my post. So, my conclusion is; it is not a source clip issue or a re-rendered clip issue. Its not Live capture or Multicam capture. It is not an Intel processor issue. Its the remapping engine within PS21 - PS23. That's it. The developers just need to fix it.  

•  08-06-2020, 14:27 802322 in reply to 802298

Thank you Candive for that! That's a lot better than "not a bug" response I got initially, and this too is my impression. So this important feature beeing broken across three major versions without being fixed!? How on earth can we get the developers attention?!
  •  08-06-2020, 15:16 802324 in reply to 802322

Fullmakt:
    That's a lot better than "not a bug" response I got initially, and this too is my impression. So this important feature beeing broken across three major versions without being fixed!?

I quote myself :

saby:
    Tony P:

It is not a bug, but the way it was coded. 

Not a bug, agreed. But there is plenty of room for optimization, IMO.

It's working. We might all consider the rendering is too slow, but you can't say it's broken, because it is not. 

•  08-06-2020, 18:52 802336 in reply to 802322

Fullmakt:
    How on earth can we get the developers attention?!
    Because this "bug" doesn't happen with all footage, you need to present them with examples in a form they can reproduce. Even then, if the footage is something that most users will not be using, then they won't give it a high priority. That's the lesson I've learnt ovber the years

You started this thread off with the assertion that Cuda was not working. That's a a huge red herring. It looks to me that with certain footage, Time Remapping can become very slow to render, regardless of hardware and acceleration settings.

•  08-06-2020, 20:13 802337 in reply to 802336

With regards to footage, I would suggest the developers use screen captures from Multicam capture lite and Live Capture. Two systems they have access to. The Live Capture produces a WMV file which renders slowly after time remapping. The Multicam Capture lite generates Mp4 or Mov files which the system seems to choke on when time remapped and rendered on my system. Nothing wrong with the files since they can be time remapped an rendered successfully in the other editor.

With regards to CUDA not working, this was an initial assertion as to what the problem may be, but through testing by members on this forum, it was proven not to be the case. Everyone makes a mistake. Embarrassed No big deal. 

•  08-06-2020, 23:35 802340 in reply to 802337

I have long since updated the topic to be more relevant, lets not dwell in the past and move forward and get this issue fixed. I use a lot of time remapping, and this is a 100% showstopper for me personally. I have videos I want to make, but I can't. With the increased quality of Multicam capture, the new movies wont even export at all, it's even worse than Live Capture like Candive mentioned.

To summerize: 
    • Source video to reproduce has been shared.
    • Detailed howto reproduce has been explained.
    • Multiple users has confirmed the issue.
    • Even using their own product to produce source video will reproduce this in no time at all, except the export, cause that's painfully slow...

So what more can we do? How do we get the ear of the developers? Seeing this bug has survived two major revisions of Pinnacle, it's about time it gets fixed I would say.

I am a long time user of Pinnacle, I have a hard copy of PS14 in a drawer next to me, but if this doesn't get resolved I will be forced to use something else unfortenately. 

•  08-07-2020, 1:16 802341 in reply to 802340

Time remapping takes ages to render with certain footage

If you take a look at the header for this post you will see what I mean by updating the topic....
  •  08-07-2020, 3:11 802347 in reply to 802341

Re: Time remapping takes ages to render with certain footage

It looks like the very first post heading has been changed. Its the subsequent posts that refer to the old heading. Can the moderators make a universal change?

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/801609/801609/ShowThread.aspx#801609

Regardless, Fullmkt, you do realise that this forum is just a bunch of volunteers who have a keen interest in Pinnacle Studio and are happy to help each other out. We don't code the program and are in the same boat as you. As I indicated in another post to you, your best bet is to lodge a ticket with Corel Support, briefly explain the problem and link your original post. Hopefully they will look at it.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/802122/802334/ShowThread.aspx#802334

All parties; you, us and the development team all want a robust optimized error free system. You found a unique situation and we all agree it could be better. Its now a matter of priority. Personally I don't speed up my clips 500% although you do. Don't take my comment as a judgement call, its just that I probably wouldn't have noticed the rendering speed degradation. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but the issue hasn't been a major discussion point on this forum over the last three versions, has it?  So we have to be realistic. Like any software, I'm sure there is a huge list of things that need to be fixed or optimized. This is just one of them. Go to any software user forum and you will come across similar threads; different problems but similar complaints. Its the nature of the beast.

Now I did mention that I have both Corel video editors on my computer and I see value in having both systems. This suggestion may be an interim solution to your problem. Its the same reason I have a set of imperial and a set of metric wrenches in my garage (maybe not the best analogy Confused)  

•  08-07-2020, 3:43 802356 in reply to 802347

Candive:

It looks like the very first post heading has been changed. Its the subsequent posts that refer to the old heading. Can the moderators make a universal change?

Sadly that's not possible. If someone replies to a post, it takes that post's Subject line, but if I went through and manually edited each post then some of the comments would not really make sense anyway. So people should either reply to a post  with a relevant header or change the header in their reply.

I've just tested the movie that the OP posted and what I see on my computer is that a clip that was orginally 1 minute long takes around 2 minutes to export in it's speeded up 12 second form. So, is that half real time or about one eight real time? I've no doubt that it shouldn't really take that long anyway, but it does actually work.

There is a slight difference if I use Cuda, but the effect itself appears not to be hardware assisted. If I export the source clip and convert it to mp4, there is no noticable difference when I use that. Yet with other clips I have tested the render speed is much faster.

Here is the movie that Fullmakt posted, but I've packaged up as an AAX so you don't need to load the files as well, and I'm going to send a link to this thread/post to a contact at Pinnacle and hope he has time to comment on what is going on:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsQGA5vJayn7h6pACvI3oHRRWHiR1A?e=4ov9C2

•  08-07-2020, 3:56 802357 in reply to 802356

Thanks jjn. Smile
  •  08-07-2020, 10:31 802381 in reply to 802357

Thank you jjn, that is very kind of you. Inside contacts is always a good thing.

I'm aware of your points Candive, hence why I was curious what is the best way to actually report a bug. I will give Corel Support a try and see how that works out, thanks.

It's good to have the issue verified by multiple users and hardware, so thank you all that has participated in testing. 

Page 3 of 3 (68 items)   < Previous 1 2 3
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy