Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

New PC with Vista: How to continue with Pinnacle?

Last post 08-07-2008, 16:05 by Mon Roy. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-06-2008, 5:52 219062

New PC with Vista: How to continue with Pinnacle?

Hello

I recently bought a new Dell PC with Vista. I have been a Studio user for a few years with 7, upgraded through 8 and then 9 Plus with add ons such as HFX Mega etc.

I have original discs with above software on for S7 on plus downloads from Pinnacle as I have purchased upgrades for 8 and 9.

The S7 disc will not install on new PC. I believe that S7 is not compatable with Vista? Therefore my upgrades are also uselesss (having tried to install from an upgrade it wants original program installed first).

So, after that long winded explanation about my present state, what is the best way to continue to use Pinnacle products? The website directed me to purchase an upgrade from 7,8,9 to a Vista compitable version but my fear is that when I buy an upgrade version it will want original program to upgrade which will not install on the vista PC. Does anyone know if the recommended upgrade needs to see original program? Do I buy a new version of say 11 or 12 and start all over again and if so what will happen to all my add ons such as HFX mega? Is now the right time to switch to Adobe?

Thanks for your help

Nik

•  08-06-2008, 7:08 219075 in reply to 219062

Re: New PC with Vista: How to continue with Pinnacle?

Nik

You don't need an installed version to upgrade. If you buy the upgrade version of S12, when you go to install it, you will be prompted to insert your earlier version disc and type in the serial number. You then eject the disc and continue with the S12 install.

Having said that, you will probably find there is so little difference in the price of the upgrade and the retail price of the full version from a large retailer that the £10 or so you might save isn't worth the hassle. You can buy the downloadable upgrade online, however, which would be the cheapest way of upgrading.

The problem is your HFX mega pack. It may well not be possible to transfer content designed for S9 across. When did you buy it?

Is now the right time to switch to Adobe?
    Given that this is a Pinnacle owned and moderated site, do you think this is the best place to ask that question?

•  08-06-2008, 7:25 219078 in reply to 219075

Thanks for the reply

On using original disc S7 disc, Vista will not open it to allow serial number to be keyed in so I guess I am better to buy a full version.

I might consider Studio 11 or 12 . 11 Ultimate is slightly cheaper on amazon (about £30 below 12) - I don't need HD facility yet, which would you recommend?

HFX mega disc has 01/2004 stamped on it.

On the Adobe point, no, you are probably right, it was a statement of my frustration of being a loyal Pinnacle customer who now has to start all over again with new software. If Pinnacle don't believe that some discounts are in order for loyal customers (like me) then now might be as good a time as any to decide whether to stick with them or not.

•  08-06-2008, 9:12 219111 in reply to 219078

On using original disc S7 disc, Vista will not open it to allow serial number to be keyed in so I guess I am better to buy a full version.
    Wasn't my reply clear enough? Sorry

You insert your S12 upgrade disk into your Vista computer without any other  Pinnacle software installed.

You run the s12 disc, or it autoruns. S12's installation routine asks you to remove the S12 disc, hold down the shift key and insert the old S7 disc.

When you have done that the S12 installation routine then asks you for the serial number associated with the S7 disc.

It then tells you to swap the discs back, holding down the shift key.

Installation then continues as if you had a full version.

Regards the versions, there are a few things fixed in 12 which probably won't get fixed in 11 (there are a few things broken in 12 which aren't in 11 that might get fixed). 12 has some nice new features. Check out the different plug-ins you get between 11 and 12 with Ultimate - I think 12 offers better ones.

All Plus and Ultimate version of Studio 11 and 12 handle HD

•  08-06-2008, 13:47 219193 in reply to 219111

jjn is right.  The difference between an upgrade version and a full version is that the UPGRADE looks for a previously installed Studio OR the CD installer of a previous version.

You can install Studio 12 upgrade without installing older versions. Smile

See this link.

Moved to Installation and Setup.

•  08-07-2008, 2:21 219351 in reply to 219193

Thanks for your help.

After considering my options (and prices) ... I have ordered Studio 12 ultimate from Amazon for £80 inc delivery.

I should be using it by the weekend!

Regards

Nik

•  08-07-2008, 3:06 219362 in reply to 219351

Hope you enjoy it!

One word of warning if that your current machine in your profile - I don't think you will have a happy experience with the Vitascene plug-in because of the amount of memory your listed video card has.

Hopefully you just haven't entered you new computer's details.....

•  08-07-2008, 5:27 219396 in reply to 219362

Thank you - profile now updated
  •  08-07-2008, 16:05 219581 in reply to 219396

Hope you enjoy Studio 12 Yes

If you will have problems or questions with this new version, we will see each other on your new thread Smile

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy