Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 12 Platinum would not install on computer with Vista

Last post 07-14-2008, 17:54 by pinshel. 22 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-04-2008, 20:38 207029

I think I posted my problem in the wrong section (general), while it obviously belongs here (installation problems). Sorry about my mistake. I am reposting my problem with installation below.

Studio 12 Platinum would not install on a computer with Vista.

Towards the end of installation process, Pinnacle Installer returned the following message:

“Pinnacle Studio 12 Installer Information Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component. {D2730D3F-3C41-5884-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18F}

HRESULT: 0x0073712

OK”

After I clicked on the OK (the only option), the installer stated “Rolling back action” and I got the message that my system was not changed.

I have Vista Home Premium SP1, 2 Gig RAM.

Mariol

•  07-04-2008, 23:10 207051 in reply to 207029

Re: Studio 12 Platinum would not install on computer with Vista

Hi Mariol,

I encountered the same problem and resolved it.  The fix I used is described step by step  in this post.

•  07-04-2008, 23:39 207059 in reply to 207051

When you forced restart during the installation, weren’t you concerned about corrupting your files?

Do you have Vista SP1 or XP?

•  07-04-2008, 23:52 207061 in reply to 207059

Mariol:

When you forced restart during the installation, weren’t you concerned about corrupting your files?

Do you have Vista SP1 or XP?

Mariol,

I have XP SP2.  Important to note there that the restart should just be a normal computer restart. i.e.

1.  Click on start
    2. Click on turn off computer
    3. Click on restart.
    etc - as per normal.  But DON'T click on OK on that error 1935 report.

Definitely - don't just switch off the power!  

S12 is now operating OK on the PC on which I had to take this action.

If you have to install Boris as per steps 7 on in my other post and you run into an error 5009 or similar, then follow the steps outlined in para 3 re "InstallShield" in my post. 

•  07-05-2008, 12:59 207195 in reply to 207061

I tried your method and received Error 1935 again, with exactly the same module numbers.

I am getting a little frustrated. Pinnacle tech support emails me irrelevant links in response to my complain.  Like “check for scratches on the DVD” or “what installation process should look like”.

I guess the “Certified for Vista”sticker on the Pinnacle Studio 12 Platinum box does not represent reality. If this issue is not resolved on Monday with telephone call to their Tech Support, I guess I will notify Microsoft that Pinnacle “Certified for Vista” claim is inaccurate and misleading.

Very disappoiying.

Mariol

•  07-06-2008, 1:13 207340 in reply to 207195

Mariol:

I guess the “Certified for Vista”sticker on the Pinnacle Studio 12 Platinum box does not represent reality.

Surprise  That wouldn't be correct. S12 definitely runs on Vista. I have installed it without any problems on my laptop which runs Vista Ultimate.

The machine which had the error 1935 issue is running XP Pro SP2.  I installed from a download rather than a CD or DVD.  The fix isn't a one-off fluke, because  I did it all again after an uninstall.  Once again the 1935 error came up and after following the steps outlined it installed OK.

Are you sure you followed all the steps exactly as described? If you clicked on OK in the error screen the installation would have reversed itself and rolled everything back. If you clicked on OK, you would go on getting the 1935 error because you'd be starting from scratch again.

One thing you could try: Copy your installation disk to you PC's hard disk and install from that copy.

•  07-06-2008, 6:41 207414 in reply to 207340

Thank you for trying to find a solution for non working Studio 12 Platinum for me. 

I did follow your instructions.

After the installation failed, I did not click on OK, I went through Start->Restart. I received Vista message that “Studio 12 program want to shut down your computer” with “Allow” or “Don’t Allow” choices. I clicked on “Allow” and Windows shut down without rolling back Studio 12 partial install. After restarting Windows I started Studio 12 installation process and at the end of the process received Error 1935 again.

I will copy installation DVD to hard drive and try to install from there tonight.

As to Studio 12 Platinum Certified for Vista claims, I intend to ask Ben Reed at Microsoft what he thinks about this issue. He is the Manager for the Windows Vista Logo Program there.

Mariol

•  07-06-2008, 16:51 207578 in reply to 207414

I will copy installation DVD to hard drive and try to install from there tonight.

And then Install it in "Safe Mode".

•  07-06-2008, 21:00 207632 in reply to 207578

Thank you for advice, but installing any software is Safe Mode is not a good idea. Software claiming to be certified for Vista should not require to be installed in Safe Mode.

Also, one of the technical requirements an application must meet in order to become Certified for Windows Vista is: “applications Installation Packages must not receive any errors”.

Mariol

•  07-07-2008, 0:36 207668 in reply to 207632

For a start, where did you get S12 "Platinum" from? To my knowledge,l there is no such product.

There is a new download on the Pinnacle website that provides a version 12.0.1 - specifically to meet the Vista Certifcation. Have a look HERE

Sounds to me like you might have a bad disc, so this might be the best solution for you (assuming it works!)

BTW, why isn't it good idea to install software in safe mode?

•  07-07-2008, 1:57 207684 in reply to 207578

colour:

And then Install it in "Safe Mode".

Peter,

You've just reminded me of something.  I tried to use Safe Mode for my install and couldn't because of a "lack of administrator rights" or similar wording.  I couldn't find a fix for that (hence the other workaround).  Have you seen that "rights" issue in safe mode before?  Any fixes?

•  07-07-2008, 4:34 207733 in reply to 207684

Kero

Have you seen that "rights" issue in safe mode before? 

Never, with XP Home, SP1, SP2. & S8 or S10. I would have thought that refer's to the Prog, irrespective of whether or not you're Installing in Safe Mode. 

S10/11/12 (I think) require Administrator Rights, to Install the Prog. 

Any fixes?

This has cropped-up several times recently on Studio Forum & once on Video Friends Forum, as far as I recall.

One of the Solutions offered was to go to: Control Panel / User Accounts & set your Login, as Administrator. There may also be a more complicated fix. Searching "Administrator Rights", might bring-up the relevant Thread(s). I set-up my PC a long time-ago, as Administrator, with no other Users & no Login or Passwords, via User Accounts. I go staight to Desktop after Windows Startup, without LoginPage.

At one time Mcafee had a Custom  Password option, which used to screw things-up. Don't know if it still does, since I no longer keep personal confidential details (Eg; Bank A/Cs etc) on my PC. Too risky IMO, these days. 

I'll do a very quick Search. If I find anything, I'll Add Link to this Post.

Peter

ADDED: Here are some: http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=administrator+rights&g=7 But not the ones I was looking for.

•  07-07-2008, 6:40 207785 in reply to 207668

You are right. It is Studio 12 Ultimate.

•  07-07-2008, 6:55 207788 in reply to 207733

colour:

I'll do a very quick Search. If I find anything, I'll Add Link to this Post.

Thanks Peter,

That's given me an angle to tackle next time I see that in safe mode. I'm not planning any more installation tests on S12 for the moment.

•  07-07-2008, 7:10 207795 in reply to 207788

I just googled error 1935 and this is what I came up with 

This error is typically caused by one of the following:

Lack of write access

The presence of some adware or adware-detection files  or program

I have tried installing windows update in Safe Mode  on Vista and it doesn't work.

Installing Programs might be different (I haven't tried that yet to see if it will work)

•  07-07-2008, 16:40 208061 in reply to 207795

unicorn-hunter:
    I just googled error 1935 and this is what I came up with

When my (XP Pro SP2) error 1935 came up I found pages of stuff on Google.

The error in my case related directly to the installation of the Boris  plugin and the workaround fixed that on XP Pro. Interesting that the close down/run again fix that I found via the Google search worked in XP but not Vista. Another minus for Vista? Indifferent

•  07-10-2008, 15:19 209497 in reply to 207632

Mariol:

Thank you for advice, but installing any software is Safe Mode is not a good idea. Software claiming to be certified for Vista should not require to be installed in Safe Mode.

Also, one of the technical requirements an application must meet in order to become Certified for Windows Vista is: “applications Installation Packages must not receive any errors”.

Mariol

Installing in Safe is the same as installing Studio in regular mode with a clean boot.

•  07-14-2008, 9:31 210997 in reply to 207029

Strange thing happened. I tried to answer the post where somebody asked about Studio 12 and Vista. I received an error message that forum administrator did not allow my answer.

Mariol

•  07-14-2008, 11:10 211039 in reply to 209497

Marc P.:

Installing in Safe is the same as installing Studio in regular mode with a clean boot.

I know that is not true for XP and and I presume it is not true for Vista - see this

The results may be the same but the system is certainly not in the same configuration for the install or why would Pinnacle keep recommending it? What you do get in safe mode is a minimal set of drivers - how minimal depends upon the option you pick - that may prevent other software from interfering with the install.  My guess would be that preventing  anti-virus software from starting may be why it is recommended (note that I said guess).

Jerry

•  07-14-2008, 12:29 211076 in reply to 211039

My guess would be that preventing  anti-virus software from starting may be why it is recommended (note that I said guess).

I recall reading a few years-ago that some Progs  exhibit Virus characteristics upon Installation & that's why it's recommended that you Exit your Anti-Virus Prog, although I guess most of us don't. 

•  07-14-2008, 13:29 211100 in reply to 211039

Mariol,

We are Vista certified with Studio 12.  Certification means you passed the tests of the certification program, not that the program is flawless.  Things that pass any certification process are less likely to have problems, but not problem free.

There are other programs that run into this same error and they are also Vista certified.  One of them is even MS Office.   

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12695 

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/software-problems/178570-error-1935-w-office-install.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/02/01/364375.aspx

While booting in safe mode and installing is not optimal, when troubleshooting a problem things are not optimal anyways.  It is worth a try since in safe mode, lots of things will not load that normally do and those things could be the source of the issue. 

There is also reference to .NET framework issues but I haven't tracked that down.  It seems like this is rather system specific since a varietyu of apps have run into this but it does not appear very common.  Based on what I have read, it does appear to be system specific.  More than likely with the wide variety of apps that run into this, there is most likely more than one cause.  I have asked around and there are very few reports of this error.  Of the few thousands of post on the board every week, we don't seem to have many reports here either. 

I will do some more research to see what we can uncover.  To-date, we don't have a reproducible case in-house. 

Sorry you are having the issue and it is unfortunate that there is not much data on it with us or on the Internet due to its rarity.

•  07-14-2008, 13:53 211105 in reply to 211076

colour:

My guess would be that preventing  anti-virus software from starting may be why it is recommended (note that I said guess).

I recall reading a few years-ago that some Progs  exhibit Virus characteristics upon Installation & that's why it's recommended that you Exit your Anti-Virus Prog, although I guess most of us don't. 

I think some AV's behave better than others!!!  I've tried a couple that were so aggressive that I took them off as they were causing more grief than they were worth. Even the the good ones go wrong on occasion. A few years ago, following an update, the AV I was using on the work network identified 30-40 files on the server as virus's and took action.  Just moving them would have been fine but it also gave them nonsense name. Did I mention these were system files?  Thank god for backups!!!

Jerry

•  07-14-2008, 17:54 211171 in reply to 211100

Rich Edgley:

We are Vista certified with Studio 12. 

Angry 

This thread has a very misleading title.  It should read " Studio 12 did install properly after Error 1935" or something similar.   Leaving the title as is will only mislead Studio users who read it .

Studio 12 DOES RUN ON VISTA.  Final!  

View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy