Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Choppy pictures, when playing my mp4 video files (from Sony AX53 and GOPRO Hero7) from the library and the time line, since Patch 24.1.0.260

Last post 04-11-2021, 10:07 by saby. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-06-2021, 19:43 813315 in reply to 813313

Re: Choppy pictures, when playing my mp4 video files (from Sony AX53 and GOPRO Hero7) from the library and the time line, since Patch 24.1.0.260

I tested the two clips and they played smoothly on my system (PAL as well). But this does not deny the OP has an issue. The fact is, no-one else has been able to replicate this specific problem.There is obviously some type of conflict with their version of PS24 on their particular PC. What are the options?  If I faced this dilemma I would try the following:

Hopefully (with fingers crossed) there may be a Windows resort point that can take me back to a date prior to this problem happening. If not, I would take an image of my computer as a backup, reinstall Win10 and PS24 only and test. If it works then I know there is a software conflict. In this case I have to options.  I may reinstall my backup image and start uninstalling other software to determine if that resolves the issue or I would rebuild my system testing the playback after reinstalling other software (this can be a time consuming process). If the reinstall of Win10 and PS24 only doesn't work, then I know its a hardware/driver conflict and try and find a solution for that.

Does anyone else have a another suggestion for the OP to try?

•  04-07-2021, 3:55 813318 in reply to 813315

Re: Choppy pictures, when playing my mp4 video files (from Sony AX53 and GOPRO Hero7) from the library and the time line, since Patch 24.1.0.260

Candive:

I tested the two clips and they played smoothly on my system (PAL as well). But this does not deny the OP has an issue. The fact is, no-one else has been able to replicate this specific problem.There is obviously some type of conflict with their version of PS24 on their particular PC. What are the options?  If I faced this dilemma I would try the following:

Hopefully (with fingers crossed) there may be a Windows resort point that can take me back to a date prior to this problem happening. If not, I would take an image of my computer as a backup, reinstall Win10 and PS24 only and test. If it works then I know there is a software conflict. In this case I have to options.  I may reinstall my backup image and start uninstalling other software to determine if that resolves the issue or I would rebuild my system testing the playback after reinstalling other software (this can be a time consuming process). If the reinstall of Win10 and PS24 only doesn't work, then I know its a hardware/driver conflict and try and find a solution for that.

Does anyone else have a another suggestion for the OP to try?

Totally agree as I have a similar situation on my desktop as i posted here , which is why i asked earlier if the OP had a previous version of  PS on the PC as that is the only obvious difference between my desktop (PS23 & PS24) & laptop (PS24 only) or may just be coincidence

•  04-07-2021, 5:42 813320 in reply to 813318

I re-tried my test, and can reproduce one severe performance issue in PS24...

Although the preview playback is smooth, scrubbing is not; although the playhead does move freely when dragged with the mouse, what is actually displayed in the preview is extremely unresponsive and generally does not update at all while the mouse is moving (an update may occur when the mouse stops moving or changes direction (e.g. scrubbing back and forth)).

This behaviour is far worse than PS23 (23.2.1.297) on the same computer.

• In PS23, the preview display appears to make a best-effort to keep up wioth the scrubbing, the display is somewhat choppy and the CPU hits 100% usage while scrubbing. So the choppiness in PS23 is down to lack of horsepower (the i5-8250U is a 4 core/8 thread CPU and puld perform about the same as a midrange laptop).
    • In PS24 the prview does not seem to be making much effort to keep up with the scrubbing and CPU usage does not go above 40-50%

Regarding installing an older version - if you only have a download version it's impossible, even if you have saved the earlier version's download files (the ESD installer will always "phone home" and download the latest version before installing.

An older version can be installed if you have the retail DVD + either the older version's downloaded files, or the older version's patch

Using retail DVD + 24.0.2 patch

1. Install 24.0.0.143 from the retail DVD; choose a custom install and be sure to untick the box to auto-download the 24.1 patch!
    2. When installed, update it to 24.0.2 using the patch
    3. Disconnect friom the Internet when launching Studio for the first time, set the "Check for update" options under the "?" menu to "Check manually". Hopefully this wil stop Studio from automatically downloading the 24.1 patch and continually nagging you to install it!

Using retail DVD + files from 24.0.2.219 ESD

1. Rename or move the installer-stub file (Pinnacle-Studio_24 Installer.exe) from the top-level folder of your 24.0.2.219 ESD download
    2. Copy the file Pinnacle-Studio_24_Installer.exe from the top-level of your retail DVD to the top-level of the download (thereby "replacing" the ESD installer-stub with the retail DVD one).
    3. Perform the installation; it should proceed as if run from a DVD and use the locally-available installation files (and not automatically try to download later versions belonging to 24.1). Again it's essential to perform a custom installation and to ensure that the box to auto-download the 24.1 patch is not ticked.
    4. Disconnect friom the Internet when launching Studio for the first time, set the "Check for update" options under the "?" menu to "Check manually". Hopefully this wil stop Studio from automatically downloading the 24.1 patch and continually nagging you to install it

If you do not have access to a copy of the retail DVD and/or the 24.0.2 patch I suggest that you ask Pinnacle support to provide you with download links. ISTR the DVD is available as an ISO disc image so you can just mount it using Windows file explorer and run the installation from there; it's not necessary to burn a physical disc.

HTH
    Richard

•  04-07-2021, 6:09 813321 in reply to 813318

The OP's hardware is up to the task, but without having the computer in front of me, it's hard to diagnose what is happening. I would run the program with Task Manager open to see what else is going on, and to monitor RAM and hardware usage.

Creating a disc image (it's nice to give the information on how along with what is needed to do it) is one way I guess, but the process of uninstalling, etc. is way too much time consumption. IF someone is using Win10 Pro, there is the Sandbox (virtual) to see if it's PS24 or the computer. 

Here is HOW to install and run software within it. 

•  04-07-2021, 6:53 813322 in reply to 813321

I tried an earlier reply but it appears to have vanished into a "pending moderation" bin Sad

Not sure how well the sandbox would work - whether apps running inside it would have the same access to graphics hardware etc. as when not in it).

FWIW I retried my tests using the two supplied videos - and I do see one performance issue in PS24; although preview is smooth, scrubbing is not - the playhead does move freely but what is shown in the preview window is extremely laggy (far worse than PS23). Also, CPU usage in PS24 is much lower than PS23 (it doesn't seem to be making any best-effort to "keep up"; CPU usage only around 40-50% (unlike PS23 - the preview is still choppy while scrubbing (almost certainly down to lack of CPU horsepower here), but CPU usage goes to 100%).

Regarding re-installation using an older version; the only way I know of doing it needs a retail DVD (the ESD installer-stub will always fetch the latest version, even when launched from a folder containing a complete set of the older version's installation files).

Regards,
    Richard

•  04-07-2021, 7:07 813323 in reply to 813322

culpanr:

I tried an earlier reply but it appears to have vanished into a "pending moderation" bin Sad

I had to approve it. It's now public.

•  04-07-2021, 7:34 813324 in reply to 813323

saby:
    culpanr:

I had to approve it. It's now public.

Thanks Smile

•  04-07-2021, 11:16 813340 in reply to 813322

culpanr:

Regarding re-installation using an older version; the only way I know of doing it needs a retail DVD (the ESD installer-stub will always fetch the latest version, even when launched from a folder containing a complete set of the older version's installation files).

Regards,
    Richard

Even using a retail DVD one of the first things that happens is it goes and looks for updates and downloads and installs ant that are available, maybe if you took the PC offline, but then i don't know what it would do about the service patch
  •  04-07-2021, 11:33 813344 in reply to 813340

With a retail DVD you should be able to uncheck the patch box upon the installation process.
  •  04-07-2021, 13:34 813352 in reply to 813344

saby:
    With a retail DVD you should be able to uncheck the patch box upon the installation process.
    That is what happens here - but you must choose a custom install in order to see (and be able to un-tick) the checkbox for downloading/installing the patch.

Note that the installer-stub (of whatever kind - retail DVD or ESD) still looks online as soon as it's launched and may download an update to itself. That shouldn't affect what happens later in the installation.

•  04-07-2021, 13:45 813353 in reply to 813352

culpanr:

saby:
    That is what happens here - but you must choose a custom install in order to see (and be able to un-tick) the checkbox for downloading/installing the patch.

Note that the installer-stub (of whatever kind - retail DVD or ESD) still looks online as soon as it's launched and may download an update to itself. That shouldn't affect what happens later in the installation.

Yeah I just did a standard install

•  04-07-2021, 14:08 813354 in reply to 813353

Why is the paying customer having to go through all of this.  Can't some get corel to provide a link to the previous version?  Is nick not monitoring the forum?
  •  04-08-2021, 13:13 813467 in reply to 813354

Solution to roll back provided by Corel here : http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/permalink/813465/813465/ShowThread.aspx#813465
  •  04-10-2021, 16:11 813535 in reply to 813313

Here is Belgium again

Lucky You, and unlucky me !  What can be the reason, that my pc got stuck ?? 

•  04-11-2021, 3:03 813538 in reply to 813535

My bet : they changed something concerning hardware decoding/encoding in PS24. Some CPU are impacted, some are not.
  •  04-11-2021, 8:43 813545 in reply to 813538

saby:
    My bet : they changed something concerning hardware decoding/encoding in PS24. Some CPU are impacted, some are not.

Yeah I think you could be right Yann, I was wondering if it was something to do with earlier and later Intel chips as my desktop suffers and the laptop doesn't, then i noticed somene with an AMD was also having problems

•  04-11-2021, 10:00 813550 in reply to 813538

saby:

IMO for hardware encode/decode it would be the GPU (particular generations of graphic chipsets or the graphic hardware inside particular generations of CPU). Is it worth starting a list to see if there's any pattern to "what works" and "what doesn't"?

•  04-11-2021, 10:07 813551 in reply to 813550

culpanr:
    Is it worth starting a list to see if there's any pattern to "what works" and "what doesn't"?

No because Corel knows the root of the bug.

Page 2 of 2 (43 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy