Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Exposure/Keyframes

Last post 02-21-2021, 15:35 by Tony_IOM. 47 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (48 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-18-2020, 15:20 807801 in reply to 807799

Re: Re:Exposure/Keyframes

OK. Thanks for that. I'll try using key frames to vary a different function - other than Exposure. Also I'll ty using a different video.

My argument would be Why add keyframes and change the exposure when there is no significant change in the ambient light? - in my case, during the dark period when the sun is occluded by cloud.

•  11-18-2020, 15:37 807802 in reply to 807801

It's clear that we don't understand each other, Tony. Sorry about that.

When you writte this : 

Tony_IOM:
    If you watch the Exposure setting as the video plays you will see it increasing with the keyframes, but the video only gets darker because of the increasing cloud cover on the day. The gradual increase of exposure should help to compensate for this. I can set the whole clip with a higher exposure but that gives an unnatural appearance. The keyframe is ineffectual.

and later this :

Tony_IOM:

My argument would be Why add keyframes and change the exposure when there is no significant change in the ambient light?

you kind of contradict yourself, no ?

•  11-18-2020, 15:59 807803 in reply to 807802

I think what you are alluding to is my statement that light stays constant, in one message and changes, in another. Just imagine a sunny day and a big, thick, dark cloud comes by and passes away a few minutes later. Clouds are thinner at their edges, aren't they? so the light gets darker gradually over a few seconds, depending on it's velocity across the sky. Then the light remains constantly darker until the trailing edge of the cloud passes by to reveal the sun again. If I could draw a graph here I would, in order to illustrate my case. But I really think that would be an insult to your understanding of what comes under the umbrella (excuse the pun) of physics.

If you observe the clip it is obvious that it goes dark and then light again. It's also obvious that the Exposure setting changes. What's *** is that the Exposure itself doesn't change.

I think it's down to me to find out what is going on. If/when I solve it I'll let you know what I did; even if it's me doing something daft. I, like you, do not believe it's a problem with Studio. We'll see. Have I set a precident, I wonder? Has nobody before me had this issue?

•  11-19-2020, 10:12 807822 in reply to 807799

Clouds are thinner at their edges - epecially the leading edges as the wind feathers them, so the sunlight is gradually reduced to its lowest level - in this case -  during the first few seconds, depending on the velocity of their movement through the sky and their overall density. In this case the density remained pretty much unchanged in the middle and so I didn't need to change the exposure level during that time. Plotting a graph of it would show a gradual loss of light followed by a period of low light - quite consistant - then a gradual increase of light as the cloud passed away.

Adding more key frames would be appropriate if the dark period was significantly changeable. But it was almost consistant so changing the exposure setting is unnecessary during the dark period.

•  11-20-2020, 9:53 807861 in reply to 807799

That's the third time you've removed my last post. That is undemocratic and I will not be using this forum again until the moderator has been changed. I expect that you will remove this one too before anybody sees it. I dare-say you've removed nearly all of this thread which would explain why nobody else has posted on it.What are you afraid of? Oh, and I also expect that you will remove my membership. Well, good luck with that.
  •  11-20-2020, 9:59 807862 in reply to 807802

I'm sorry I made a mistake. But I'm getting mad with this whole issue. And I don't think you get it. Do what you have to do.
  •  11-20-2020, 10:09 807863 in reply to 807862

For the record : the only thing I did was yesterday I deleted a duplicate post of yours.

Nobody else than me tried to add his voice to our discussion ? Yes, you're right, but not my fault !

I did nothing to prevent anyone to post in this thread.

•  11-20-2020, 10:26 807864 in reply to 807863

Fair enough. And I apologise. But I've done the damage and it can't be taken back.
  •  11-20-2020, 10:32 807867 in reply to 807799

I don't have 24, I used the brightness/contrast effect with 23 and it does exactly what I expect. See if this works:

First I created a key frame where I wanted to start a decrease in contrast. About 5 seconds later I added a second key frame with the lower contrast. 10 seconds later another one with those same lower values. And 5 seconds later at the default.

It does what you would think:  starts decreasing contrast, steady at the lower value and then back up. Is that what you are doing and isn't working?

Andy 

•  11-20-2020, 10:33 807868 in reply to 807863

I am trying to figure out what exactly you want to do, and  I didn't chime in because I thought keyframing would solve it.. Do you have a specific example (visual) that we can look to?

In communications, it is the speaker that has to make sure the listener understands. If they don't, then it is still up to the speaker to make what they are saying understandable, not the listener.... Comm 101.

I personally would think using keyframes would solve the lighting problem, maybe not to the gradient degree someone would want, but it makes it better. But I haven't seen the original footage, or I could be understanding this all wrong.

•  11-20-2020, 10:34 807869 in reply to 807864

Tony_IOM:
    Fair enough. And I apologise. But I've done the damage and it can't be taken back.

No problem, Tony

Beer 

•  11-20-2020, 11:24 807875 in reply to 807867

Hello Andy

Yes. That's what I'm trying to do but in reverse. So that as the light dims I increase the exposure. Hold it there until the light starts to brighten then reduce it to the normal. I am also using V23. I can set the whole clip to a higher exposure but then it's overexposed at the beginning and end. There's a post from me a few back that has a link to the example I'm trying. You can look at that yourself if you wish.

Regards

Tony

•  11-20-2020, 11:41 807876 in reply to 807868

Hi Tony

If you go back through the posts I've put the item on google drive and there's a link to it. I exaggerated the increase of exposure to 70 to show that it's not working. 70 would be far too high a value for this clip. You can view it if you like. For some reason I haven't figured out, the keyframing won't work for me on this occcasion. I haven't used keyframing in V23 before so it's possible that I'm doing something daft. But it should be a straightforward thing to do. As I said before, I can set the whole clip to a higher exposure which works except that the naturally bright bits at the beginning and end are overexposed. I'm trying to avoid a sudden change in exposure which would be as obvious as a bad jump cut. I'm now starting to think that there is something wrong with the Studio installation but I'm trying to avoid re-installing it. I may try a repair though.

Regards

Tony

•  11-20-2020, 12:14 807877 in reply to 807869

To all helpers

It's no wonder that none of you can see what I'm on about because that sample that I put on Google drive doesn't show the issue clearly. I have just opened it myself and it all looks much better in there than it does on my editing system. I'm only using a cheapy little Acer notebook on the forum. Now I don't know how I'm going to convince you all that I have a problem. All I can say is that keyframing is not working, for me, on the exposure feature. It looks as though I'll just have to repair and, if necessary, re-install Studio to see if that corrects it. I know it must work because Pinnacle wouldn't have put it out there if it didn't. And it works for all of you. The ball, as they say, is in my court.

•  11-20-2020, 12:21 807878 in reply to 807877

Do me a favor :

• add a still picture on your timeline
    • make it 20 seconds long
    • open Editor
    • open Color
    • apply some keyframes for the Exposure setting
    How does it work ?
  •  11-20-2020, 12:24 807879 in reply to 807878

I realize something is weird in your screengrab.

The line above your clip on the timeline is green. Should be pink.

I don't undersatnd why ????

•  11-20-2020, 12:27 807880 in reply to 807879

What exact version of PS23 are you running ?
  •  11-20-2020, 12:30 807881 in reply to 807880

Forget it. This clip must already have been applied some modifications directly in the library, right ?
  •  11-20-2020, 12:31 807882 in reply to 807878

OK I'll definitely do that. However, you may have to wait for that. I won't be able to do anything now, today. And we have a granddaughter visting from England next week and we are preparing things for her as she is isolating in our house and we are moving into a flat for two weeks. If I can do it before Tuesday I will, otherwise it will have to wait.
  •  01-28-2021, 9:47 811239 in reply to 807875

Exposure/Keyframes continued

Hello all

I did say that you would have to wait. That was on the 20th Nov. However, I didn't expect it to be this long. And now I can't open my previous posts, for some reason, although I can see them all listed. If you need a reminder of my problem please let me know.

In the last couple of weeks I have performed several experiments to make exposure changes using key frames which I was having problems with before. I have not solved the issue but I can tell you the things I have tried; and this is what I've found.

1) If I place the captured .avi file on the timeline, make no changes to it, find a point where I want to change the Exposure, Add the four keyframe at start, during and end, changing the exposure settings accordingly to the 2nd and 3rd, then play it; it works just fine. If I then divide the timeline by adding a Cut at any position The effect still works but the place at which it should occur changes - drastically, so that a different part of the movie gets the effect.

Now, if I go back and do it all again but dividing the timeline into three clips where the middle clip is the one I add the keyframes to, it doesn't work at all. As it's playing you I can see the values of the Exposure changing but the effect does not happen.

2) I've tried recapturing the original video from camera but as an .mpg file instead of .avi. The result is exactly the same. 

3) If I capture a video from a miniDV camera and do the same thing it all works OK. This was also a .avi file.

The thing I'm going to try next is to re-encode the .avi and/or the .mpg files using Handberake (which has been previously suggested). What do you think would be the best format to use? And does anyone believe this could be something I'm doing wrong or could it be that Studio 23 doesn't handle it well?

By the way, I hope that you all had a great Chritmas and New Year despite any restrictions imposed by our governments due to coronavirus.

Best regards

Tony

•  01-28-2021, 11:13 811248 in reply to 811239

Re:Exposure/Keyframes continued

I've merged your two threads.
  •  01-28-2021, 14:48 811261 in reply to 811248

Re: Re:Exposure/Keyframes continued

Thanks, Saby.

I expected that you would.

•  02-21-2021, 15:35 811961 in reply to 807880

Hi All

I haven't continued this thread for a long time - sorry. I have come to realize that this not only applies to the Expossure, but to other effects and even some transitions. I have come to the conclusion that Studio 23 doesn't work well with interlaced video. I havn't tried de-interlacing first; I suppose that is something I'll have to try. But not just yet. I have too many other things to do.

Thanks for all your help. I'll post a reslt if I get one.

Best regards

Tony

Page 2 of 2 (48 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy