Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Painfully slow rendering in Pinnacle studio 18 Ultimate on a new laptop

Last post 06-15-2021, 12:10 by Euphonograph. 60 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (61 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-29-2021, 11:11 811303 in reply to 811301

Re: Painfully slow rendering in Pinnacle studio 18 Ultimate on a new laptop

Ps does not take advantage of "studio" compute drivers on nvidia or amd.
  •  01-29-2021, 11:35 811306 in reply to 811303

acsscott:
    Ps does not take advantage of "studio" compute drivers on nvidia or amd.
    Are you saying the Hardware Acceleration doesn't work if you have loaded the Studio drivers? They are drivers that are optimised for programs such as Adobe Photshop and Premiere and are updated far less frequently, but this doesn't preclude their use for PS, as far as I'm aware.
  •  01-29-2021, 12:58 811313 in reply to 811306

The so called "studio" drivers are optimized for compute units.  The gaming drivers are optimized for 3d rendering. If you open your graphics cards performance monitor, n ot task manager, you will see that ps does not use any compute units at anypoint, only the 3d engine and the decode and or the encode engines if the moons align perfectly and your source and export formats match exactly the formats supported by the gpu. 

If you do anything tasking like a airbrush in photoshop, you will see the compute engines used. 

My premire is too old to support gpu acceleration, so I have no way to see if premire uses compute engines or 3d engines.

DaVinci resolve doesn't use compute engines, but uses 3d engines.

Topaz labs video enhancer and mercalli don't use compute engines,  only 3d engine, encoding and decoding.

So, for ps, "studio" drivers are of no use, and if anything, a minor slow down, since the emphasis is on compute engine performance,  not 3d engine.

•  01-29-2021, 14:05 811316 in reply to 811313

...and you've tested that with render time tests, have you?

That's what this is about, encode and decode.... and the fact that the OP might be using an incapatible driver.

•  01-29-2021, 16:53 811325 in reply to 811316

The title of the post is painfully slow rendering on New laptop.  The op post before mine was that he tried the studio drivers with no luck.  No luck, with the title of the post, means it wasn't faster.  The studio driver will not increase the performance of ps, only hamper it.

A month or so ago there was an nvidia driver release that broke a lot of programs.  The op should go back a couple versions rather than change to a driver that is the same generation, but puts heavier performance on compute engines over 3d rendering.

•  01-29-2021, 18:33 811327 in reply to 811325

"There is no way you are going to get any type of performance using USB drives for you source and export."

"Ps does not take advantage of "studio" compute drivers on nvidia or amd."

Still stand by both those statements? Because I don't see what "compute" has to do with h.264 rendering, it's an irrelavance to the OP. If the Studio drivers are more stable, they may actually produce video ;-)

•  01-29-2021, 19:31 811331 in reply to 811327

I sure do.
  •  01-29-2021, 19:58 811332 in reply to 811331

Have you looked to see if there is a bios update?  Seems like there might be a conflict between the intel cpu/gpu graphics and the nvidia gpu.

Strange that intel acceleration doesn't work properly.  I've never had it fail. 

When I bought my amd graphics card and installed it on my pc where I was using just the onboard Intel cpu/gpu graphics, I could no longer access the intel gpu.  I had to do a bios update.  The bios was seeing no monitor attached to the onboard intel graphics and disabling the gpu portion of the 9900k. After the bios update, I can see both.

Just a thought? 

•  02-01-2021, 10:23 811374 in reply to 811249

Hi jjn,

Have you been able to render out a video in PS 18 using hardware acceleration in your present setup? 

PS 18 is working the best it has ever worked on this new laptop, it is just the loss of hardware acceleration, not performance.

My old laptop would render about 50 fps, this laptop about 3 -5 fps.

Thanks 

•  02-01-2021, 13:43 811379 in reply to 811374

If you are only getting 5fps, then I would suggest there is more to it than a lack of GPU acceleration. As for 50fps on the old laptop, are you counting frames (25) or fields (50)? Half real time seems fast to me.

I have a 10 minutes blu-ray test project. I don't have a blu-ray plugin for PS18, but creating an AVCHD image (same codec) with None as the hardware acceleration setting on my 4Ghz i7 I'm getting about real time on a 50i setting - the CPU is running at about 65%. So thats either 50 fields per seconds or 25 frames per second. The source and target HDDs are just ticking over at 1-2%

Have you added any effects or transformations to the video? If so then this is meaningless.... Are you making a disc from a project that has been Playback Rendered at Best Quality? Then again, this is meaningless....

If I set the acceleration to Cuda the speed is about the same - a small 3D load on the GPU, most of the work done by the CPU. So I'm guessing that when they finished work in PS18 it wasn't very fast. At the time I didn't have the Cuda card fitted and those tests seems to indicate that CUDA in PS18 is next to useless.

In PS24 with CUDA set (GTX1070i), I can export the same 10 minute bluray project in 3 mins 20 seconds. Without Cuda it takes 8 minutes, and the CPU is going at 95>100%

I think if anyone is going to be able to help you sort this out they need some definitive figures for a simple project that can be reproduced - length of project, time to export, CPU and GPU load while exporting.

•  02-02-2021, 5:45 811407 in reply to 811379

OK, I think I am getting bogged down here.

First I need to know if it is possible to use either type (Intel / Cuda) of hardware acceleration to render out a bluray image h.264 1920 x 1080 / 50i Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, best quality in Pinnacle studio 18 Ultimate on my machine?

My symptoms are:

If I tick the box in hardware acceleration (Intel or Cuda depending on the programme setting dedicated or integrated) I can click to points on the timeline and the preview window shows the frame. However, If I try and play the timeline the picture locks up and I get audio only. 

If I export my video I get a file with audio only, the video shows the circular arrow.

Without hardware acceleration very slow, 8 hours for a 1 hour video but I get the job done.

On my old machine I could tick Intel or Cuda hardware acceleration and while creating the video the preview window would show the video frames whizzing by and their time point in the video, nice and quick.

I have updated the graphics drivers, Windows 10, switched between dedicated and integrated graphics on the laptop and I still get the lock up and no picture.

Any ideas please. 

•  02-02-2021, 7:43 811414 in reply to 811407

You're getting bogged down? Wink

I've looked back at your posts and there are certain things I can't follow.

Let's start with this from your first post:

"When I did the Studio 18 installation on the MSI laptop there was an issue with the test footage and Studio couldn't play it."

Let's stop right there for now

Was that the same thing you report about the timeline showing frames but when you play back you get grey circular arrows? "Studio couldn't play it" is a bit vague.

Do you mean the test footage or the test project? The footage is just the mpeg-2 video file The Sky Is the Limit. The project has effects added to it.

How did you overcome that problem? Is that the same with any Hardware Acceleration setting, or was the cure to select H/W as None?

•  02-02-2021, 9:36 811417 in reply to 811414

It was not the same thing, PS could not even open The Sky Is the Limit, video or Timeline Project.

When I opened PS 18 after install there was a menu that said search for media, it was compulsory, then PS would hang, I had to force a close programme.

To get round this hang I thought that there must be some media upsetting PS. I looked in the default video folder and there was nothing there. I then found a set of folders under C: Users/public/video and the video was in the public video folder and it played with Windows Media Player. I then tried to open the The Sky Is the Limit Timeline Project from the public video folder and PS just hung, nothing loaded. 

To be able to open PS I deleted The Sky is the Limit Video, project and scn file from the public video file. PS then opened fine, very responsive.

Then the hardware acceleration problem for render.

Thanks for your patience  

•  02-02-2021, 9:57 811420 in reply to 811417

...and if you now load the sample project from the Help manu, what happens?
  •  02-02-2021, 10:33 811422 in reply to 811420

Where's that, can't find it?
  •  02-02-2021, 10:39 811424 in reply to 811422

Attachment: Help.jpg
    In the upper menus, ? is Help. The second option is Load Sample Movie

•  02-02-2021, 11:21 811427 in reply to 811424

Ar the risk of sounding like a support agent. have you done a full uninstall/re-install. including deleting all the appdata folders and cleaning out the registry? I'd assume you have, and I doubt if it will change anything, but you never know....
  •  02-02-2021, 11:50 811430 in reply to 811427

I've done an uninstall followed by an install but not cleaned the registry. What software do you recommend for that? Thanks

The load video is not in my help menu. 

•  02-02-2021, 12:03 811431 in reply to 811430

Also, should I uninstall all the other stuff too, content, packs etc?
  •  02-02-2021, 12:04 811432 in reply to 811430

Should I uninstall all the other stuff, content, packs etc?
  •  02-02-2021, 18:24 811449 in reply to 811432

•  02-03-2021, 13:33 811480 in reply to 811449

Thanks for your help.

I uninstalled PS18 including all packs and everything, I then used the Pinnacle registry cleaning tool and reinstalled PS 18 with no patches.

I was able to play the test footage with hardware acceleration on, intel and Cuda using either integrated or dedicated graphics.

I tried a render sample, it was quicker than with no hardware acceleration but still slow compared to my old HP laptop, how can that be? 

I then added patch 18.5 and I was back to square one as before, the sample video would not play at all and PS locked up.

I then added patch 18.6 and there was no difference.

After initial installation of 18.1 and opening the test footage I was prompted to search for unlinked elements of the test footage, photos, sound effects, strange.

Also a temp file went into a Onedrive folder and sample photos, video and sound effects have gone in public folders.

I thought that years ago when I last installed PS that everything went into the normal document, photo and video folders.

Any ideas? I suppose I could stick with 18.1, thanks.

•  02-03-2021, 13:58 811482 in reply to 811480

Euphonograph:

I uninstalled PS18 including all packs and everything, I then used the Pinnacle registry cleaning tool and reinstalled PS 18 with no patches.

I was able to play the test footage with hardware acceleration on, intel and Cuda using either integrated or dedicated graphics.

That's a start :-)

I tried a render sample, it was quicker than with no hardware acceleration but still slow compared to my old HP laptop, how can that be?

Can you be more specific about what you mean here? An export? Of what, to what?

I then added patch 18.5 and I was back to square one as before, the sample video would not play at all and PS locked up.

I then added patch 18.6 and there was no difference.

That's interesting information. If I can look back far enough through the forums I may be able to find out what the 18.5 patch was supposed to fix.

After initial installation of 18.1 and opening the test footage I was prompted to search for unlinked elements of the test footage, photos, sound effects, strange.

Did you have Watch Folders enabled, and did you wait for all the folders to be searched?

Also a temp file went into a Onedrive folder and sample photos, video and sound effects have gone in public folders.

I thought that years ago when I last installed PS that everything went into the normal document, photo and video folders.

I don't know about temp folders in Onedrive, but Studio has always put the Sample project source materials in the Public User folder - it still does in PS24 - so nothing wrong there, at least.

Is the Onedrive folder just called temp? Is it still there now? I can't see a temp folder in my Onedrive (I've got every version of studio loaded here)

•  02-05-2021, 10:22 811539 in reply to 811482

I have done some tests:

I have rendered a 60 second clip AVCHD 1920 x 1080 / 50i Dolby digital 5.1 audio.

From my C drive SSD to an external mechanical drive connected USB 3.

My output file is a bluray image h264 1920 x 1080 / 50i Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Best bluray, render first, 448 mb/s  Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. No menu, titles, transitions or effects, just the clip.

Results:

PS 18 and Avid Studio set to dedicated graphics with Cuda hardware acceleration 6 mins 18 secs. Readings from task master performance CPU 50-55%, NVidia GPU 1%, Intel GPU 1% 

PS 18 and Avid Studio set to integrated graphics with Intel hardware acceleration 6 mins 18 secs.  Readings from task master performance CPU 40-55%, NVidia GPU 1%, Intel GPU 1%

PS 18 and Avid Studio set to dedicated graphics NO hardware acceleration 9 mins 2 secs. Readings from task master performance CPU 40-45%, NVidia GPU 1%, Intel GPU 1%

PS 18 and Avid Studio set to Integrated graphics with NO hardware acceleration 7 mins 38 secs. Readings from task master performance CPU 50%, NVidia GPU 1%, Intel GPU 1%

I don't get it, it is so slow. Should I be adjusting anything in Windows 10?

This laptop has NVidia control panel with loads of options for gaming, should I try a clean install of Windows 10 without all the gaming stuff, I am not a gamer and just want good render times and PS usability performance. 

Back to your post, I don't think the temp file is anything to do with PS it is a file containing an exe file OneDC_Updater ?

On re-installation after regedit the content has defaulted to the public documents folder? 

On the task manager performance table the CPU is barely stretching it's legs and both GPU's are doing nothing?

Any ideas, thanks, have a great weekend 

•  02-05-2021, 10:24 811540 in reply to 811539

Sorry I meant task manager, task master is the wife
Page 2 of 3 (61 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy