Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Studio 23 - nothing works...

Last post 09-25-2019, 6:22 by Tony P. 37 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (38 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-18-2019, 4:07 788530 in reply to 788512

Re: Studio 23 - nothing works...

Wow, my first post for 5 years!

Mainly because I was thinking of getting V23 and came on here to see what it's like. 

My business still uses two dedicated machines with V12.1 and another with V19. These all work most of the time and apart from the usual crashes you come to expect with a Pinnacle product I can get my work done fairly quickly and at good quality.

However, seeing a post like pretty much confirms my worst fears about Pinnacle software, it seems it's still buggy all these years later. If the One Drive solution is really the reason this failed I would be surprised, but ok, let's go with that. The lack of 5.1 support is laughable, I mean a huge list of functions are advertised for the program but it can't deal with something pretty basic.

Ok, I can live with that, but the exporting issues are not something that is acceptable in any way at any time. Can you confirm that this program now actually exports ok on your new system? 

•  09-18-2019, 6:25 788533 in reply to 788530

Based on my experience and on what I read here and elsewhere from other people : PS23 is one of the most stable and reliable version ever released.
  •  09-22-2019, 17:29 788673 in reply to 788533

I've been off line a few weeks but thought I would check in.  I've been using another (cheaper) product that has 5.1.    Honestly, by not having surround sound, Pinnacle studio has put itself into the bush league.  There are free video editing programs that offer this now expected feature.  I NEVER would have considered purchasing it if I new it was so limited.  I agree that it appears to be the most stable version of pinnacle I have used in a long time, but the fact that it is incapable of outputting a final product of even the most basic standards means that I will use another program for even my most basic of family videos.  I am extremely disappointed and wish I spent my money elsewhere. 
  •  09-22-2019, 17:55 788675 in reply to 788673

Stephen C.:
    I've been off line a few weeks but thought I would check in.  I've been using another (cheaper) product that has 5.1.    Honestly, by not having surround sound, Pinnacle studio has put itself into the bush league.  There are free video editing programs that offer this now expected feature.  I NEVER would have considered purchasing it if I new it was so limited.  I agree that it appears to be the most stable version of pinnacle I have used in a long time, but the fact that it is incapable of outputting a final product of even the most basic standards means that I will use another program for even my most basic of family videos.  I am extremely disappointed and wish I spent my money elsewhere. 

Yeah, surely this can't be right, is it a bug that it's not showing 5.1? 

•  09-23-2019, 5:04 788684 in reply to 788673

Let me start off by saying I've never edited a video for 5.1.

But I agree, if it imports it, it should export it too. That's a failing on PS/Corel part by not incorporating the ability in Export.

Where I disagree with your comment, "but the fact that it is incapable of outputting a final product of even the most basic standards" is not true. While for you, 5.1 might be considered "basic standards", for me, it never was, and the same with others.

I do agree that PS has to go back to when they did export in this format. Plenty of 5.1 out there.

•  09-23-2019, 5:28 788685 in reply to 788684

Tony P:

Let me start off by saying I've never edited a video for 5.1.

But I agree, if it imports it, it should export it too. That's a failing on PS/Corel part by not incorporating the ability in Export.

Where I disagree with your comment, "but the fact that it is incapable of outputting a final product of even the most basic standards" is not true. While for you, 5.1 might be considered "basic standards", for me, it never was, and the same with others.

I do agree that PS has to go back to when they did export in this format. Plenty of 5.1 out there.

I still have two dedicated Win XP computers here with V12.1 on them and  "Enable Discreet 5.1 Surround Sound Playback" is a setting on that program, and it's very old now. That's why i'm wondering if it's a bug, otherwise what explanation are we to think given it's a pretty much basic requirement now, 7.1 with Dolby Atmos would be really nice, but 5.1 just has to be included for modern films. I wonder if someone at PS could comment on this.0

•  09-23-2019, 6:55 788687 in reply to 788685

It's not a bug, but an omission. I don't know the reasoning behind it (cost vs actual usage by purchasers). It could be like Bluray. It's an optional buy now. I've had a Bluray burner in my computer for 9 years and have yet to burn a Bluray.

Where I now live, DVD is still much more popular than Bluray. If I burn anything, it's DVD. 

As for Atmos, while they are trying to get it adopted, look at the cost for the "average" consumer in additional hardware. I don't know the adoption rate is compared to how many are still using 5.1, like me. Just never bothered to get caught up in it. 

•  09-23-2019, 10:32 788704 in reply to 788687

Tony P:

It's not a bug, but an omission. I don't know the reasoning behind it (cost vs actual usage by purchasers). It could be like Bluray. It's an optional buy now. I've had a Bluray burner in my computer for 9 years and have yet to burn a Bluray.

Where I now live, DVD is still much more popular than Bluray. If I burn anything, it's DVD. 

As for Atmos, while they are trying to get it adopted, look at the cost for the "average" consumer in additional hardware. I don't know the adoption rate is compared to how many are still using 5.1, like me. Just never bothered to get caught up in it. 

Well Atmos for headphones is free, for surround sound systems you can buy quite a lot of products like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKS-HT588-Handling-Subwoofer-Surround-Wall-Mountable/dp/B00Z9O07VO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dolby+atmos&qid=1569249116&sr=8-2

I doubt it's ever something I will deal with in my business but who knows. Have to agree on BD though, in the last 5 years I think I've made 1! 

•  09-23-2019, 10:54 788707 in reply to 788704

Atmos surround systems are costly. I have a very decent 5.1 HT system at home and am quite happy with it. Everyone that hears and watches are more than impressed. When they hear the cost... well, not for them... too much money. Then I point to my hi-end 2ch audio system and tell them they don't want to know the price. Wink

But there are some that burn bluray out there. Just not me. I have no cameras that shoot 5.1, so it hasn't been of importance for me. But like Bluray, it is for some people.

•  09-23-2019, 11:01 788709 in reply to 788707

Tony P:

I have no cameras that shoot 5.1, so it hasn't been of importance for me.

There must be a good reason in the scene that you're recording, to use 5.1. I mean, if you're shooting your family events, I don't see the goal.

5.1 is usefull in action scenes, when an "object" passes trhough the scene from the front to the back or back to front. Otherwise, stereo is way enough.

•  09-23-2019, 11:06 788711 in reply to 788709

5.1 is good for ambient sounds in an environment too, in addition to special fx.

•  09-24-2019, 20:35 788816 in reply to 788709

When a mid range camcorder records in 5.1 and you are recording a family event why would you not want to export it?  Is suspect a lot more people would have use for surround sound than 360 video, 3d or some of the other "features."
  •  09-25-2019, 6:22 788821 in reply to 788816

Video features are "fads" and selling points for those in marketing to get you to "buy".

I remember when 3D was the rage. 3D flat screens. Now? None. 360 video? I don't know, but I think this is a fad that will pass... maybe.

But 5.1 is still here and will outlast any new video fad. 

But as I have said, I've yet to use that feature, but fully understand if you can import and edit it, you should be able to export it too. 

Page 2 of 2 (38 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy