Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Pinnacle USB 510 + Win10 64

Last post 03-03-2016, 13:51 by deanw. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (35 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-29-2016, 11:06 705675 in reply to 705665

Re: Re:Pinnacle USB 510 + Win10 64

saby:
    The resolution would be the same if you would use the Firewire connection of the XL2 but there would be no degradation of the signal. No digital to analog and analog to digital conversion in this case.

It's almost a non-sense to use the analog exit of a mini-DV camcorder.

I had not "twigged" that the XL-2 was a MiniDV camcorder (I think I was remembering the earlier EX-1 / EX-2 models that were Hi8...). The XL-2 is also a 3-CCD camera, so footage shot on it would be pretty high-resolution (500 lines+) so it would be a shame to degrade that to ~350 lines by a composite video connection...

In addition to eliminating the losses due to D/A and A/D conversion (+ any further signal losses and risk of hum pick-up due to long analogue cables), a Firewire connection would also give Studio's Importer control of the tape transport - avoiding the need to be athletic (starting the tape playing and rushing back to the PC to start the capture), having a helper to start the tape playback, or hoping that the camera was "just within range" of the infrared remote control!

The OP's original message mentioned both the terms "Dazzle" and "510-USB" - if the capture device is actually a Moviebox 510-USB (white vaguely egg-shaped device) it should already have a Firewire port for conecting DV cameras. So don't need to add a Firewire port/card to the desktop PC. IMO Firewire wouldn't reach as far as 20 metres, but should be fine for 5 to 10 metres. So there ought to be enough "scope" for getting the camcorder somewhere near the PC (even in a fairly cramped hobby "shack" / "den").

Regards,
    Richard

•  02-29-2016, 11:13 705676 in reply to 705672

I strongly think that preservation of original quality worth the $5 investment.
  •  02-29-2016, 11:15 705677 in reply to 705675

While the XL2 is a brilliant camera for it's age (it is over 10 years old now), it can only output or record "standard definition" - 720x576 pixels. I've read items which say that the pictures look very good when you upscale them to HD, but you won't be able to do that in real time.
  •  02-29-2016, 11:20 705678 in reply to 705672

deanw:
    ...but the composite cables are much cheaper than the firewire...
    You can get cheap 6-pin to 4-pin Firewire cables to suit that camcorder - do a search on sites such as Amazon and Ebay - in the UK short cables (1m - 2m length) are available for less than GBP 2.50. And if you can't get the camcorder that close to the PC, you could use a longer (good quality) USB cable between the PC and the 510-USB to "span" some of the distance...

Regads,
    Richard

•  02-29-2016, 14:14 705694 in reply to 705675

culpanr:
    saby:
    The resolution would be the same if you would use the Firewire connection of the XL2 but there would be no degradation of the signal. No digital to analog and analog to digital conversion in this case.

It's almost a non-sense to use the analog exit of a mini-DV camcorder.

I had not "twigged" that the XL-2 was a MiniDV camcorder (I think I was remembering the earlier EX-1 / EX-2 models that were Hi8...). The XL-2 is also a 3-CCD camera, so footage shot on it would be pretty high-resolution (500 lines+) so it would be a shame to degrade that to ~350 lines by a composite video connection...

In addition to eliminating the losses due to D/A and A/D conversion (+ any further signal losses and risk of hum pick-up due to long analogue cables), a Firewire connection would also give Studio's Importer control of the tape transport - avoiding the need to be athletic (starting the tape playing and rushing back to the PC to start the capture), having a helper to start the tape playback, or hoping that the camera was "just within range" of the infrared remote control!

The OP's original message mentioned both the terms "Dazzle" and "510-USB" - if the capture device is actually a Moviebox 510-USB (white vaguely egg-shaped device) it should already have a Firewire port for conecting DV cameras. So don't need to add a Firewire port/card to the desktop PC. IMO Firewire wouldn't reach as far as 20 metres, but should be fine for 5 to 10 metres. So there ought to be enough "scope" for getting the camcorder somewhere near the PC (even in a fairly cramped hobby "shack" / "den").

Regards,
    Richard

Hi,

to first answer your questions. The XL-2 is a MiniDV camcorder, yes. The footage is as you say "pretty high res", it's 576 lines via composite output, so that's fine so far - I just wanted to get some more, but's obviusly impossible :) The wire lenghts I need are between 20m and 40m approx. The setting of the stage, my laptop (not PC) and the camera are fixed and cannot be changed. I'm using the Pinnacles Moviebox 510-USB (sorry for my random naming of that box) to get live picture from the camera into my laptop (SW I use is Resolume Arena, not Pinnacles Studio) and forward this picture onto a projector screen.So in that case, the 5-10m firewire wires don't do the trick. I still suppose, I have to stick on the composite video cable (I need only the video, without sound). And yes, you're right, the 510-USB has the firewire port, but it doesn't help me out in my situation. Maybe just with the suggestion up there, to connect the camcorder via firewire to the 510-USB and then extend the USB wire from the Moviebox to my laptop.

In fact - I could even use a USB extender (via cat5 LAN wires), but anyway, the 10m firewire wires are too short for what I need, because my stage only is 10m wide, so it's again no hope :)

Thank you again! 

Regards, Dean 

•  02-29-2016, 21:01 705759 in reply to 705694

Thanks for the explanation - I understand now why you need the long video cables Smile

Richard

•  03-01-2016, 21:02 705851 in reply to 705694

Have you tried finding a wireless video transmitter and receiver. I don't know if it will do what you want.
  •  03-02-2016, 13:45 705899 in reply to 705851

Hey,

thanks for your thought too - I got one just yesterday and didn't tested yet. I hope I'll get that done this way and hope I don't get into any interference with our wireless mics on stage :) Seems a never ending story :) 

•  03-02-2016, 17:49 705925 in reply to 705899

If there are some wall with metal inside between transmitter and receiver you risk to have noise in the final signal.
  •  03-03-2016, 13:51 706009 in reply to 705925

saby:
    If there are some wall with metal inside between transmitter and receiver you risk to have noise in the final signal.

Hm, hope not. Will try that in the upcoming days soon. 

Page 2 of 2 (35 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy