Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Movie plays beyond end of chapter briefly before returning to menu

Last post 10-12-2021, 3:28 by saby. 87 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (88 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-12-2015, 16:17 668332 in reply to 668331

Re: Movie plays beyond end of chapter briefly before returning to menu

Can I include multiple .JPG's in 1 post?  Here is Chpt End - Start.jpg

•  03-12-2015, 18:16 668347 in reply to 668332

Hi Mark,

The forum does only accept one image per posting, up to a maximum size of 512kB. So, you can choose to make several postings or use a photo editor to make a single image "collage" of several smaller images and post that (good when you want to show a comparison between two objects).

Looking at the two screen grabs:

• There's no scale visible in the images (you trimmed off the timeline ruler) so I cvan't tell how long the titles are (in further test projects I create I shall assume that they are 3 seconds)
    • Earlier, you mentioned that you used motions in the "end" title - which ones (you mentioned "typing" in the text (entry motion)), and how long did you allow for those "entry", "emphasis" and "exit" parts of the title?
    • From the second screen grab, there appears to be something between the video clip and the title, is this a gap or a transition? How long, and if a transition, which one?
    • The project layout having each "movie" on a different track is unusual, but there's nothing wrong with that; you should be able to put whatever content you like on any track to achieve what you want.

At present, my suspicions would fall on whatever is between the video clip and the title or the title itself; if there is a gap, what happens if you remove it - and what happens, if, as a test, you substitute the title with one having no motions?

I will try another test project and make the structure as close as I can get to your screen shots (although at first |'m going to have to guess about some aspects).

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-12-2015, 23:07 668360 in reply to 668347

I have reproduced the issue with an extremely simple project, and the culprit seems to be the title editor,,, a simple title with no motions will show the problem!
    As a workaround, try exporting the titles as full-screen DV AVI files (in the Exporter use the preset "AVI | Full Screen DV") and then replace the titles in the DVD disc project with the little AVI files.

If I find a better/easier workaround I'll post it here.

HTH
    Richard

•  03-12-2015, 23:19 668361 in reply to 668347

Attachment: Test 8.jpg

Hi Richard.  Sorry about the lack of detail.  Try this thought. For consistence between us, make a project like this.

A) Each chapter is on it's own track in the timeline.  So 5 tracks. 

B) Each chapter has a "Start Title" and an "End Title"  that's all.

C) For the Start Titles I began with the PS default "Blank" Title.  I changed the text in each of the 5 titles to ... Start Chapter 1, Start Chapter 2 ...ect up to Start Chapter 5.    I also changed the "Background" color so each title has it's own unique color.

D) For the "End Titles" I also began with the PS "Blank" title.   I changed the text in in each of the 5 titles to ... End Chapter 1, End Chapter 2, ....ect up tp End Chapter 5.   I kept these titles background black.

E) Change the 5 Start Titles length to 8 seconds 00:00:08.00     Change the 5 End Titles length to 11 seconds 00:00:11.0

F) Add the menu.  I used at least in my system Content/Disk Menus/Premium Pack 2/Baby 2/Baby 2 - First Game Sub       don't laugh.    I have 3 chapters on the 1st menu and 2 on the second menu.  I also used the same First Game Sub on the 2nd menu..

G)Add M1's at the end of each chapter.   My M1's and C1-C5 are right back to back. 

I think that's it .... burn a disk.  hope you have a RW handy.  I exported in 4:3 ratio. Don't know what your default is.  I've been using 4:3 export since the .jpg files are 4:3  Have not burned or tested any 16x9.

This failed for me, but not all chapters.  Chapters 1, 3 and 5 worked ok.  Went back to the menu correctly.  Although the last chapter always works, even in a real movie project,  Chapters 2 and 4 failed.  After displaying the :End Title it displayed the next chapters Start Title.  IE Start Chapter 3 or Start Chapter 5.

After testing this dvd.  I reopened the project and did a save as another name.  Then without making any changes burned a dvd with that project.  To see if the problem is random or solid.   The 2nd dvd failed exactly as the 1st ... 2 and 4 bad.  Attached is a shot of the project Test 8.jpg

So all is PS default except background color and text.

Hope you have time to do this.  Thanks for your help, Mark

•  03-12-2015, 23:21 668362 in reply to 668361

Hi Richard, Saw your post just after I sent mine.
  •  03-12-2015, 23:34 668363 in reply to 668362

Richard,

Did you actually EDIT the titles in your test?  Or just add them to the project? and burn.  I edited them in my test.

Mark

•  03-13-2015, 0:12 668365 in reply to 668363

MarkCIA:
    Did you actually EDIT the titles in your test?  Or just add them to the project? and burn.
    I used a simpler project, with two copies of "The sky is the limit" sample movie and added titles at the start and end of each chapter. I used plain text (no motions) - and it doesn't matter whether the title text is edited or not (problem will occur if default "Your Text Here" text is left in place).

FYI I have attached a screen shot of my project - when burned to DVD+RW disc and played in Windows Media Player I get a flash of the full-screen title at the beginning of chapter 2 before the playback returns to the menu. And if I remove the title at the end of chapter 1 I don't get the flash...

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-13-2015, 1:03 668367 in reply to 668365

Hi Richard,  Good ..... I guess.   What happens now? .....to get this fixed.

Mark

•  03-13-2015, 1:33 668370 in reply to 668367

MarkCIA:
    Good ..... I guess.   What happens now? .....to get this fixed.
    Hopefully forum moderators or someone connected with Pinnacle will see this and report it to the developers,

But in the meantime you will need to work around the bug - another thing to try would be to export the whole of your movie as a DV AVI or good quality MPEG-2 file, then load that file in the disc project and add the menus and chapters (so you no longer have any titles to be rendered when making the disc).

HTH
    Richard

•  03-13-2015, 22:55 668463 in reply to 668365

Hi Richard,

You can leave out the video.  It fails with just titles ...2 per chapter.  I've been testing using 2 stock titles,   with no motions in them,   with the default text,  default duration of 4 seconds.   I use 2 different titles so I can see the results easy.  I have 8 chapters each on own timeline.

Results: Watching dvd on tv 

TEST 1    M1 and C1 thru C8   Back to Back

• Chapters 1 thru 7 fail.  I see 3 full titles.  The 1st Start title, I see a duration of 4 second.  The second End title, I see a duration of 4 seconds,  The next title I see is the next chapter start title with a duration of 2 seconds.
    • Chapter 8 works. The last chapter seems to always work.

TEST 2    M1 and C1 thru C8   All M1's positioned 1 frame left of the next chapter start Cx

• Chapter 1 works
    • Chapter 2 thru 7 fail   I see 3 full titles as in TEST 1.   I did not think to "Time" the titles at that time and blew away the disk.
    • Chapter 8 works.

I was going to play with moving the M1's around (left more) to see what happens.

If I play the .vob video file in the video_ts folder directly (dvd or hard drive folder)  it plays with the correct number of chapter titles.  I use and only have VLC player.  Windows 8 does not have Windows Media Player.  Prior to trying this ... playing just the file.  I played the "dvd files using VLC playing a "DVD"  with all the functions of a dvd .... menu, arrow and such.  I previously thought VLC just "Hid" the problem.  Now I'm not so sure.  I don't quite understand what's up ???  Can you try Media Player and just play the single file?  Provided you still want to mess with this.  You might have better things to do.

I was going to try from previous dvd files already on my hard drive.  Deleting all render files then burn from image.  With settings don't render don't reprocess and any other things I see.  To basically see if I can just Burn The Disk from the files ... straight.   Since the .VOB plays correctly.  I guess that's the "No Brains Technique"  I don't know how the program works or what is required to produce the dvd.

Also I was wondering if I have the correct export dvd settings.  I've been using 720x480/60i.  I 'm not sure if that matters during testing with the 2 titles.  They say 16x9 in the description.  Do you have an idea about that?

Also I saw you're in UK.  I don't know but I thought you folks across the pond use PAL?  If that's true, I was wondering if that might make a difference?

If you're already satisfied or tied of testing, working on this let me know.

Thanks, Mark

•  03-14-2015, 8:05 668476 in reply to 668463

MarkCIA:
    If I play the .vob video file in the video_ts folder directly (dvd or hard drive folder)  it plays with the correct number of chapter titles.  
    The .vob file contains the plain video. The control parameters for the menu are stored in the .ifo file.  
  •  03-14-2015, 13:48 668506 in reply to 668463

MarkCIA:
    If you're already satisfied or tied of testing, working on this let me know.

I may continue to experiment with this toi see if there's a reliable workaround (some day I might need it too...).

But, if fiddling around with the positions of the titles etc.doesn't solve it, the best course of action may be simply to ignore the issue for now, or to hide it:

• If your viewers aren't too picky, they may not be bothered about that little glitch before gling back to the menu.
    • You may be able to hide it by adding a little black "lead out" at the end of one movie and "lead in" at the beginning of the next (say 1/2 second) - that way, any "flash" of the next movie will be of the black part and not noticeable
    • And, for some movies (if it isn't an issue that you can play right through them all in succession), you could simply not bother with the "return to menu" after each one and let the viewer use their remote control to go back to the menu.

BTW, your project settings 720 x 480/60i are good for standard definition NTSC video/DVD, change the 60i to 30p if you shot the video using the "progressive" setting in your camera instead of "interlaced".

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-14-2015, 15:43 668521 in reply to 668506

Hi Richard, Yeah ... I figured the IFO's after reading some about dvd structures last night.  Even DL an IFO editor for fun.  Lots of stuff in those IFO's.  I have PS17, got it quite a while back. Don't recall if I burned any dvd's.  I may have gotten busy and not gone back to transferring vcr to dvd.  One of those To Do" list's.  So I tried PS17 last night.  Fails the same way.  I've burned about 60 good dvds but those might go back to PS maybe 12?   Don't know if PS18 install wrote over something that PS17 uses.  I'll probable have to try uninstalling 18 -17 and reinstall 17.,...I guess.  I'm sure though If I used/burned PS17 it was on a machine with Window Vista.  Now have 8.1    Curious, what OS you use and PS 32 or 64?

Was wondering how "Connected" this forum was with Pinnacle or Corel.  If someone IE Moderators have contact with them?  If the problem will get to Pinnacle.  I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that a "Moderator" has not posted here since Nov '14.  PS would be really nice ..if it worked.  HEY MODERATORS .... READ AND POST SOME KIND OF THOUGHT.

Have you used any other VE software?  Has it worked good/not?  If uninstall/install of PS 17 does not work I might leave PS in the dust ... forever and try some other vendor.

I have lots of video to put on dvd ... 8mm, vcr and digital.  Have had other issue's with VCR tape. And could not wait until I got to the digital stuff.  I figured "DVD Creation" would go smother with digital video.  But after your test failure with the PS Sky's the ..video,  I thought %@x#.  So your digital test results was appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

•  03-14-2015, 18:11 668545 in reply to 668521

MarkCIA:

Was wondering how "Connected" this forum was with Pinnacle or Corel.  If someone IE Moderators have contact with them?  If the problem will get to Pinnacle.  I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that a "Moderator" has not posted here since Nov '14.  PS would be really nice ..if it worked.  HEY MODERATORS .... READ AND POST SOME KIND OF THOUGHT.

Don't worry. Even if we don't participate in a thread we read everything. Your discussion with Richard (you actually can't be in better hands than him) has been in my radar since the beginning. Because of its inconstancy, I need to make more tests on my end before escalating it to Corel's devs.

•  03-14-2015, 18:48 668557 in reply to 668545

Thanks saby,  Knowing someone is watching is nice to know.  It's pretty easy to duplicate.

Thanks again, Have a great day.

Mark

•  03-14-2015, 18:56 668560 in reply to 668557

Saby,

Sorry for the double post.  But while I have your attention.   I tried PS 17 today.  It failed the same way.  I thought perhaps the PS 18 install may have written over something that PS 17 uses.  My only next recourse was to uninstall both and re-install 17 to verify the failure.

You could save me a bunch of time uninst-install.   Should I bother trying that?

Thanks,

Mark

•  03-14-2015, 19:10 668562 in reply to 668560

They are totally separate. So don't uninstall PS17.
  •  03-14-2015, 19:58 668568 in reply to 668562

Great, Thanks a lot, Mark
  •  03-14-2015, 20:40 668572 in reply to 668521

MarkCIA:
    Curious, what OS you use and PS 32 or 64?
    I have two computers with PS18 Ultimate - desktop has Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, laptop on which I have been doing most of the testing has Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. And using PS18 64 bit on both. Also have kept several older versions installed - PS12U, PS14U, Avid Studio and PS16U.

Have you used any other VE software?  Has it worked good/not?
    I have tried Serif MoviePlus X6 and the "NeroVision" video editor component of one of the Nero burning suites. And quite a few years back I also had a Pinnacle DV500plus capture card that came with Adobe Premiere 6.0. Didn't get much beyond "test/evaluation projects" in MoviePlus or NeroVision...

Actually, most of my "serious" DVD creation is with Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate; it has been very reliable, and there are a few features it has that simply do not exist in any of the more recent versions (Avid Studio onwards).

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-14-2015, 20:49 668573 in reply to 668568

Mark, Richard,

I tried different projects with titles inserted just before the (Return to menu + Chapter) points and can't reproduce the bug.

Possible you create a small project that 100% shows the bug on your end, save it as package and share it with me via a web storage site ?

•  03-14-2015, 21:25 668574 in reply to 668573

I have uploaded a Project package and an ISO disc image created from that project to Dropbox. The project comprises one stock menu and two full screen titles, each of 30 seconds duration.
    To observe the bug in action, create the disc image and play with Windows Media Player by clicking "Chapter 1" in the menu. (I found that VLC Player seems to hide the problem). At the very end of the "movie" (that shows the text "Title 1") there will be a brief flash of the text belonging to the second "movie" ("Title 2").

The project package (1.3MB) is here

The ISO disc image - (12MB) - the VIDEO_TS folder was created by PS18U and then "burned" as an ISO by ImgBurn is here

Regards,
    Richard

•  03-14-2015, 21:37 668575 in reply to 668574

Thanks Richard,

I'll have a look into this tomorrow.

•  03-14-2015, 23:49 668583 in reply to 668572

Thanks Richard,  I also Have Win 8.1 Pro (64) and run PS Ult 64.  Thanks for the info.  Was just curious.

Mark

•  03-15-2015, 9:08 668603 in reply to 668583

Ok, I see the bug too and I do understand know why I never saw it before.

Test this project. You won't see the bug anymore.

It's because I used shorter titles of 8s instead of 25s like with Richard's project. Below a length of 10s the bug disappears. As already discussed elsewhere with Richard, I think it's related to a bug in the mpeg2 encoder missing some frames in specific circumstances.

•  03-15-2015, 10:20 668617 in reply to 668603

saby:
    Test this project. You won't see the bug anymore
    I have tested - and can still see the unwanted "flash" of the "Title 2" if I play the disc using Windows Media Player, but not if I play with VLC Player (seems to return to the menu earlier and hides the problem)!

But another clue that shows that something "is not right" in the created disc image is to open the VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD editor such as PgcEdit; the two DVD-ttiles in both my and Saby's test projects show as being a few frames longer than they should be (from my project the two DVD-titles TTN 1 and TTN 2 should be exactly 25 seconds each, I get 25 seconds 9 frames and 25 seconds 18 frames - from Saby's project they should be exactly 8 seconds each and I get 8 seconds 14 frames and 8 seconds 17 frames.

Will try some further tests later (I intend to do a detailed comparison between PS14 and PS18)

Regards,
    Richard

Page 2 of 4 (88 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy