Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

GoPro cameras, etc. ...

Last post 12-07-2018, 10:34 by kiteflyer. 669 replies.
Page 2 of 27 (670 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-25-2013, 22:58 596682 in reply to 596678

Re: GoPro cameras, etc. ...

duplicate post -- deletion denied ???

•  06-25-2013, 23:09 596683 in reply to 596678

rkokish:

Based on several posts about ProDrenalin in this forum last month, I bought the software and have been using it. It does do a good job of de-fishing my go pro (3 silver) files but not as good a job of reducing shake. It has no profile (other than "generic") for my Canon camera. It takes  couple of hours for a half hour of video and increases file size by a factor of 5. ( have an I-7 / 3.4 gGHz based computer with 12 gigs ram and a basic video card with 1 gig.)  Most (but not all) of the time ProDrenalin crashes if there is more than one file in the media bin for it to work on. Sometimes it tells me it cannot export a file because that is in use by another program when the only program I have open is ProDrenalin itself. The interface is not, in my opinion, intuitive.

I wrote their customer service people about the crashing issue, sending in detailed crash logs in addition to a description of the problem. All they could do is ask for more information. After a week they stopped corresponding altogether. I waited 2 weeks, figuring they were working on the problem. After 2 weeks I wrote again and asked them to tell me what is happening with my issue. The never replied. I'd call if I could find a customer service phone number.

Based on this experience I recommend against anyone buying ProDrenalin software at this point.

quick reply --

Though I haven't experienced the instability that you've seen (and I can't complain about the depth of interaction I've had with their engineers), I too have become disenchanted with ProAdrenalin's stabilization -- but likely for different reasons.

Alot of what I shoot is bike mounted stuff -- and for me ProAdrenalin's stabilization is TOO aggressive, TOO stabilized. For me much of the dynamic value of moving footage is when its experienced with some shake and blur.   ProAdrenalin has a fixed version of stabilization -- it doesn't offer any of the granular adjustment to the degree of stabilization I'd want.

And I was also unhappy with the way it stabilized some conventional shakey handheld footage (I may post a sample).

Overall PS15's stabilization -- which has several gradients of adjustment -- is a better fit for me.

BTW -- though I'm no expert, it sounds like there are some things I might be able to offer you some guidance on -- but it will have to wait until I return to the ProAdrenalin equipped PC.

•  08-20-2013, 15:48 602496 in reply to 596683

Tony P:

Yep... more competition for GoPro!!! There is plenty out there. Although GoPro can be attributed with starting this revolution, I have not had good success with the customer support. Unanswered emails about product issues. Mind you, I am not of the importance of say BARYE, who has had excellent relations with them. But that left a bad feeling for me. I spent (for a pleeb like me) a lot of money for the GoPro Hero2, LCD screen, tripod adapter and extra battery. Now BARYE, you have to figure I bought it here in Europe where we are plagued with that awful thing called VAT along with a higher price for the product.

So, I have been on the lookout for a replacement. Looks like Garmin has jumped into this field ........ along with Sony, JVC, and others....

VIRB HD

I hadn't seen this.

Their demo video was interesting -- but I wish it wasn't so hyper. They had to know that there's no way to evaluate the quality of their video cutting things that way. But based roughly on what I could see, the quality of contrast, shadow detail, and resolution is not on a par with the GoPros.

Nor apparently are the Garmins dive cameras -- they're seemingly meant not to be submerged for more than 30 minutes at a depth of no more than 1 meter.

But they have a working (if not ideal) viewfinder , and a multitude of added functions like GPS, heart rate sensors, cycling monitors, accelerometers, altimeters,etc -- which depending on the application could be very useful (wholly aside from pure video quality alone).

Tony -- as a once (and future) European CEO, its natural and appropriate that corporations seeking his favour grant BARYE certain considerations... (all that is, except Pinnacle/Avid !!!    )

But I'm curious -- what GoPro issues have you had ??  I'm surprised they were not more responsive -- did you try calling them ?? 

(FWIW, I use the GoPro 2 more than the 3, mainly because the 3's WiFi  (which I use for monitoring it) -- is VERY fragile and easily lost in areas of moderately high RF, or if the battery is even slightly run down.)     

Looking forward to the upcoming Sony actioncams, and what GoPro might come out with next...

BTW, I saw recently that Monoprice (a cheap electronic accessory store) is selling an actioncam (with a mediocre 1920/1080 image) for approx $80 (on sale).  Apparently decent, and worth THAT price  

•  08-20-2013, 18:01 602509 in reply to 602496

Wait. The next chip up the line was announced a long time ago. 4K at 30p, Full HD at 120p.
  •  08-20-2013, 18:30 602515 in reply to 602509

jjn:
    Wait. The next chip up the line was announced a long time ago. 4K at 30p, Full HD at 120p.

a GoPro 4 with that chip would be astonishing -- maybe rip your socks off, suck out out your lungs, astonishing.

Sony would be wise to incorporate that chip as well (in as much as its playing catch-up in a field where it ought be having an impact). Coming out w/a 4K actioncam w/superior ergonomics/mounting to the GoPro would be such a statement.

But BARYE has heard nothing yet from GoPro or Sony  ( jeff's hearing is no doubt more sensitive ....)  

(BTW, no mention of light sensitivity in that article -- likely to need alot of light for some of those modes) 

•  08-20-2013, 18:31 602516 in reply to 602509

@BARYE, I had a flooded GoPro. I wanted to replace it. I lost the GoPro Hero 2, battery and LCD. I sent another email explaining my situation. Nothing. It was an expensive learning for me. Over here in Europe, that setup cost me over $500. Back in the States, it was well under $400. 

Then I started to read about others having service problems, bricked after firmware updates, etc.. So, even though they are the "one" to own, I am looking elsewhere. 

As for the Garmin, it has features that I use. I have a heart monitor that I ride with. I am one of those aggressive riders. Don't pass me because then the race is on. Especially uphill...... I have to remember a lot of times my wife is riding with me and have to slow down (after passing the offending person). It is just another camera to choose from.

Here is one that appears to display better video than the Hero3. My only problem is I like to go diving...... and the shape of it...... LiquidImage Ego.

•  08-20-2013, 18:41 602519 in reply to 602515

BARYE:

jjn:

a GoPro 4 with that chip would be astonishing -- maybe rip your socks off, suck out out your lungs, astonishing.

Sony would be wise to incorporate that chip as well (in as much as its playing catch-up in a field where it ought be having an impact). Coming out w/a 4K actioncam w/superior ergonomics/mounting to the GoPro would be such a statement.

But BARYE has heard nothing yet from GoPro or Sony  ( jeff's hearing is no doubt more sensitive ....)  

(BTW, no mention of light sensitivity in that article -- likely to need alot of light for some of those modes) 

but what would BARYE use to edit this new footage? 

•  08-20-2013, 18:44 602520 in reply to 602519

BARYE:

but what would BARYE use to edit this new footage?  

likely a razor and perforated tape 

•  08-20-2013, 19:02 602521 in reply to 602520

....oh... just like I edited film in high school when it would break in the projector...... wow... working a/v squad in high school!!!
  •  08-20-2013, 19:14 602524 in reply to 602521

Always thought x-acto knifes work better then razer blade's. But I only did that with my Dad's 8mm film.
  •  08-21-2013, 0:34 602538 in reply to 602524

this may just be, I confess, the voice of a nostalgic, aging simian --  but as perhaps at least Saby appreciates,  BARYE misses his Guillotine (splicer) ... 

•  08-21-2013, 7:00 602577 in reply to 602538

There has been a crop of much cheaper "GoPro" type cameras coming from China. Looking through Amazon, there are a host of them. When I head Stateside (btw BARYE, I will be in DC for a couple of days while I travel down the east coast from NY to NC with wife in tow), I will make a decision on what to buy. Far cheaper in the States than Europe. By then, all the major players will have something out that pushes the editing and hopefully PS will support greater workflows and more codecs. Hopefully.......

•  08-21-2013, 17:42 602621 in reply to 602577

Your purchase decision is clearly going to be effected by the timing of your US visit -- but ideally you'd wait for the new GoPro/Sony cameras, likely to be introduced in the fall.

I'd speculate that the GoPro 4 Silver will have most of the capability of the current GoPro 3 Black  -- and that the GoPro 4 Black will have the chip Jeff referenced.

Yes editing natively would be a hassle, but likely most (though maybe not PS) NLE programs will update their software to either directly deal w/4k -- or else provide both proxy and direct options. 

On the other hand if you just want an actioncam for brief action cuts (like in the Garmin video), many of those cheap Chinese cameras might be enough.

I saw the Monoprice camera list on sale for $80 this past week, and was almost temped to grab it. I looked at some youTube demos and it looked decent enough -- though nowhere as beautiful as the current GoPros.  (but at a 1/3 the price).

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-110159-MHD-Action-Camera/dp/B00BZWOHKQ 

(BTW, security has been alerted -- and BARYE's gorillas are ex-special forces and not to be trifled with ...)

•  08-21-2013, 18:22 602628 in reply to 602621

When in the States, I will make my choice. I don't have to have the latest and greatest since it is a niche camera for me.
  •  08-22-2013, 17:18 602716 in reply to 602628

Tony P:
    @BARYE, I had a flooded GoPro. I wanted to replace it. I lost the GoPro Hero 2, battery and LCD. I sent another email explaining my situation. Nothing. It was an expensive learning for me. Over here in Europe, that setup cost me over $500. Back in the States, it was well under $400. 

Then I started to read about others having service problems, bricked after firmware updates, etc.. So, even though they are the "one" to own, I am looking elsewhere. 

As for the Garmin, it has features that I use. I have a heart monitor that I ride with. I am one of those aggressive riders. Don't pass me because then the race is on. Especially uphill...... I have to remember a lot of times my wife is riding with me and have to slow down (after passing the offending person). It is just another camera to choose from.

Here is one that appears to display better video than the Hero3. My only problem is I like to go diving...... and the shape of it...... LiquidImage Ego

just last night I lost $300--400 worth of gear -- totally idiotic really -- wasn't even shooting anything.  It was just in my bike's pannier that fell off my rack somewhere.

Primarily a cheap Canon R300 that I keep on me for "just in case" situations. Its also the camera I mount when I kayak on the river in the event I see something worth shooting.

A surprisingly decent camera in good light. Has a mic input/headphone jack. I'll likely replace it soon. At least I didn't have the GoPros,  my more expensive cameras, audio gear, or any of my special camera mounts with me.

About a year or so ago I did -- and I lost more than $1500 worth of gear almost the same way

I immediately doubled back and went backwards through the 1am traffic searching,  but the pannier was no where to be found.  

Major bummer...

Sorry -- I had to vent about this...  Anyway, this is a round about way of commiserating about your flooded GoPro.

Was the watertight case defective ?? How deep do you dive ??

As you know, they have always been super responsive to BARYE -- even if the things I complain about (wifi video connectivity) aren't really fixed.

(and it was me who told them about an issue with deleting only some GoPro files from an SD card -- which can result in a GoPro that freezes. Always best to do an in-camera format after deleting files).

•  08-22-2013, 17:42 602721 in reply to 602716

My problem with GoPro is that they didn't even respond to the emails.

When I go riding, I have a camera backpack. I also have a bike rack, but the tripod goes there. Tied down real tight. It isn't going anywhere. I have the 3piece luggage for the back rack but would not want to put my gear in it. It's secure and everything, but on my back, it is more secure and I know where it is at all times. Yes, it is a little heavy (about 15lbs with tripod, batteries, gorilla pod, lenses, camcorder motion stabilizer, pain meds just in case, allergy pills, small towel, lens filters, etc..), but I am used to it.

Lots to choose from when I get back to the States. Who knows what will be available by next year!!

BTW.. how much to go up in the Monument? When I lived there, it was 10cents.... 

•  08-23-2013, 5:33 602742 in reply to 602721

Tony P:

My problem with GoPro is that they didn't even respond to the emails.

When I go riding, I have a camera backpack. I also have a bike rack, but the tripod goes there. Tied down real tight. It isn't going anywhere. I have the 3piece luggage for the back rack but would not want to put my gear in it. It's secure and everything, but on my back, it is more secure and I know where it is at all times. Yes, it is a little heavy (about 15lbs with tripod, batteries, gorilla pod, lenses, camcorder motion stabilizer, pain meds just in case, allergy pills, small towel, lens filters, etc..), but I am used to it.

Lots to choose from when I get back to the States. Who knows what will be available by next year!!

BTW.. how much to go up in the Monument? When I lived there, it was 10cents.... 

I don't remember ever paying to go up the Monument -- but then its been more than a hundred years since I was last up ...

BTW, the Monument has been closed for the last year -- it got rattled during DC's MASSIVE 2.3 earthquake, after which we had a GINORMOUS Tsunami  on the Potomac that wiped out all semblance of intelligent life here in Washington...

Its currently surrounded by scaffolding, and will likely stay closed for another year. 

I just checked out that Ego camera you linked to (is it by any chance named in honor of BARYE ??)

Its looks VERY interesting, and inexpensive.  It does WiFi monitoring, has decent resolution, contrast, and fairly ergonomic mounting. It offers a cheap accessory diving case (which is a better arrangement than GoPro's.) 

Did I mention its MUCH cheaper ??

But it bothers me that their GoPro/Ego split screen demo was so obviously unfair to GoPro.

GoPros produce exceptionally awesome footage -- its genuinely hard to make ugly pictures from GOPros.

But Ego seems to have positively NAILED it !! 

If they're (unnecessarily) dishonest about that, how can I trust them ??

•  08-23-2013, 6:28 602744 in reply to 602742

That camera looks interesting, but...

Tony  - do you shoot 25 or 30 fps with your other cameras? One issue for me with the cheaper cameras is that they only have 60hz settings, so I would end up with mixed frame rates on the timeline.

•  08-23-2013, 14:31 602785 in reply to 602744

Jeff.... I have shot @ 24/30 fps with my cameras and have mixed them on the timeline. All my equipment was bought in the States before I got here to Europe. I still shoot in NTSC. Most of my shooting is with light outside or natural light inside. I did do one video and noticed the "strobe color shift" of what I guess was the 50hz in the flourescent light since this was shot inside. I don't know for sure if this happened because of the 50hz. I'll know next time to try and use PAL settings.

•  08-24-2013, 20:20 602872 in reply to 596683

Just downloaded and installed the ProDenalin service update. Everything now works as it should under both Win 7 & 8.
  •  08-25-2013, 5:02 602889 in reply to 602872

rkokish:
    Just downloaded and installed the ProDenalin service update. Everything now works as it should under both Win 7 & 8.

cool -- have all your troubles been fixed ??

How are you using the program ?? 

•  08-26-2013, 15:03 602998 in reply to 602889

:

...what I pack...

in a another thread someone generously posted a youTube link to their camping video.

After watching a few minutes of it,  I wrote a response -- a response that might be a bit beyond cruel,  so I decided not to post it.

But I feel still the need to vent, so ....

I was skipping through your video, listening intermittently, until I got to where -- for the SECOND time -- you mentioned that your ditty bag was packing extra toilet paper...

In hopeful trepidation I rewound -- hoping I had misheard -- that what had been said was that in your ditty bag you were packing heat.

But no ...

One day no doubt in the not too distant future,  BARYE will again be held captive in some dank nameless N Korean dungeon, grievously tortured for the secrets he alone possesses. Heroically he will hold out, suffering stoically -- at least until he's threatened with having to again watch this video ...

This is a video editing forum -- to help folks edit video.  From what I could tell there was no editing performed in this project.

In the end credit (had I gotten there), I truly expected to see assurances that "no video was harmed or sacrificed in the making of this movie"... 

•  10-01-2013, 4:29 605978 in reply to 602998

GoPro, as I've been anticipating, has released new iterations of their cameras.

The Black+ is definitely worth a look.

There are a number of tweaks that are likely important -- most especially a clearer, sharper picture, on the fly low light frame rate adaptation, and claimed improvements in the WiFi (which is dismal in the current GoPro3). The battery life is 30% better as well. There's also something called "Superview" -- a new more immersive wide angle shooting perspective.

Its also significantly smaller -- which means some existing GoPro cases might not work. But if you're mounting your GoPro on a remote control quadracopter, the 20% weight reduction will be of real value.  

Bug eyed, I've just watched on a 100" screen GoPro's video demo of the new camera.

Astonishingly beautiful footage. Shots that linger lovingly for sometimes 5 seconds -- allowing viewers to appreciate the indescribable beauty, detail, color depth, and clarity that this camera can capture.

It will suck the air from your lungs --   

I want to own one -- even if the most dangerous thing I do is spending my nights watching "Breaking Bad."   

"...Black edition is now 20 percent smaller -- no mean feat if you've seen the existing model. There are also improvements to the optics, which GoPro claims gives a 33 percent increase in image sharpness, while reducing artifacts by a factor of two. Feature-wise there's a new 1080 "SuperView" mode which takes footage from 4:3 aspect ratio, and presents it in an immersive 16:9 view. Other improvements include a new auto-low light mode that will adjust the frame rate on the fly, revised audio internals, four times faster WiFi and wireless camera updates via your phone. Despite all of these additions, and the smaller form, it's claimed that your new GoPro will potentially offer up to 30 percent extra battery life, too. The Silver edition gets some love, also, with 1080p now possible at 60fps, and 720 at 120 fps. ... The Hero3+ will be available starting this week, with prices starting at $299 for the Silver addition, and $399 for the black. The previous flagships now retail for $329 and $249 respectively."

Added: 

Otherwise the old Silver edition (I think) will still be offered -- likely a better deal at $249 (or less, at retail) than the new Silver+.

[Correction:  Only the old White -- not the old Silver, will be still sold.] 

•  10-01-2013, 4:38 605981 in reply to 605978

No 4K at full frame rate? Idiotic.... Wink

" Other improvements include a new auto-low light mode that will adjust the frame rate on the fly," Oh, that's going to be fun to edit - not.

•  10-01-2013, 4:43 605982 in reply to 605981

I can't be sure -- but I've not seen 4K mentioned anywhere yet.

Indeed strange, and unexpected if true.

Page 2 of 27 (670 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy