Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Which Graphics Cards Work? Which Don't? Please Add Your Experiences!

Last post 04-19-2012, 21:32 by withersdm. 113 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (114 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-14-2008, 13:37 175798 in reply to 175309

Re: Which Graphics Cards Work? Which Don't? Please Add Your Experiences!

JamesD1957:

The card that I had before this one was an Nvidia GeForce 8600.  Had a lot of trouble trying to have it get along with studio.  Had to go to the 7xxx series, but I've been very happy with it.

Jim

That's strange. After my problem with that Ati 1950Pro, I bought an Nvidia 8600 256mb without any of the previous problems. That was my old system - Intel 945PE with dual core 3.0mhz 

•  05-14-2008, 19:04 175930 in reply to 175798

I guess it depends on the configuration of our beloved systems. I had HD2600XT work like a charm on my system while others report that it has caused major issues with Studio 11 and its transitions.
  •  05-14-2008, 19:50 175955 in reply to 132675

Card: XFX NVIDIA 7600 GT with 256 MB

Operating System: XP SP3

Studio Version: Studio Plus 11.1

Results: No problems

•  05-17-2008, 13:12 177878 in reply to 132675

Card: Nvidia GEForce 8400 GS

Operating System: Vista Home

System Memory: 3GB

Studio Version: Studio Plus 10.8

Successfully works editing and DVD authoring.  I capture SD video (from Hi8 and VHS tapes) on a Pentium 4 3.6Ghz system with 1GB Ram

•  05-18-2008, 19:23 178710 in reply to 177878

Are there any manufacturers it is best to avoid?
  •  05-18-2008, 20:48 178719 in reply to 178710

brookefan:
    Are there any manufacturers it is best to avoid?

I've had problems with MSI, as well as Gainward.

I've had good luck with PNY Technologies.

•  05-19-2008, 19:30 179507 in reply to 132675

EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

works ine on Vista-64

•  05-21-2008, 1:01 180478 in reply to 179507

I run a radeon x600 series on WinXP SP2  and have never had any problems with it
  •  05-21-2008, 9:24 180759 in reply to 132675

Card:  NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GT with 256 MB Memory

Operating System:  Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

Studio Version:  Studio 11.1.1 Ultimate

Results:   OK with AVCHD and other HD playback, 1920x1080 60i included.  Preview OK for small AVCHD projects, but the preview screen sometimes goes black if one toggles rapidly between clips, but this may be more a problem of CPU load or drive transfer speed than the graphics card.

•  05-22-2008, 8:46 181526 in reply to 180759

Card: EVGA 9800 GX2 1gig Memory (Really 2 cards in SLI mode): 175.16 drivers.

Motherboard: EVGA 790i Ultra DDR3  P05 Bios.

Operating System: Vista HP Sp1 32bit

Studio Version: Studio UItimate 11.1

Results: Initially had problems with S11 freezing up after a new install of Vista and S11.  Eventually learned I needed to turn hardware accelleration off in S11 and increase my PCI bus latency to 64.  At the moment, no more freezing or blue screens. I have been able to create and edit projects with little problems so far.  Occassionly, the preview goes black and need to restart S11.

Comments: S11 thinks I dont have enough video memory with this card.

•  05-23-2008, 8:25 182264 in reply to 181526

Asus 8800 GTS 768MB RAM, for the rest see my profile.

No problems with Studio 11+, but no luck with Liquid 7.2.

•  05-23-2008, 14:45 182477 in reply to 182264

Card: Gainward  NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS  512 MB AGP

Operating System:  XP Pro  w/sp3 

Studio Version:  Studio 11.1.2

Results: Works perfectly

Card: Gainward NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT  512 MB PCI (E)

Operating System:  XP Pro  w/sp3 

Studio Version:  Studio 11.1.2

Results: Choppy playback in preview screen with HD content

Comments: Using Core2Duo E6420 and Asrock 4CoreDual Sata2 M/B, Latest drivers to no avail.

EDIT: Updated M/B to Asus P5K5 Deluxe Wi-Fi and CPU to Core2Duo E8400 now works perfectly. Studio now v11.1.1. Hurrah!

•  05-24-2008, 7:22 182841 in reply to 132675

Betreft: Which Graphics Cards Work? Which Don't? Please Add Your Experiences!

Card: Sapphire ATI HD 2400 Pro 256Mb AGP

Operating System: XP SP3

Studio Version: Studio Ultimate 11.1

Results: Works most of the time. However hardware acceleration is disabled because many transactions (e.g. all alpha magix) did not work and also pan and zoom became fuzzy. Pinaccle indicates that this is the result of a DirectX 9.0 C issue.

Comments: Still waiting for a solution for this, since rendering by the processor is sloooow. Strangely enough the card worked fine with Studio 9 which I had before. I really don't understand why Avid does not put a simple list of recommended videocards (including a list of to be avoided cards) in their FAQ or knowledge base. It would have saved me 80 Euro and a lot of frustration. The three 'solutions' suggested on the site for this particular issue did not work the only working solution (see above) is not mentioned with the three not-working solutions....in short... all very confusing and frustrating.

•  05-26-2008, 3:32 183694 in reply to 182841

Re: Betreft: Which Graphics Cards Work? Which Don't? Please Add Your Experiences!

I just discovered Check3D so I'll share this with you All:

I have a new GeForce 8800GTS 512 card which came with drivers version 169.21. I immediately updated the nVidia drivers to version 175.16.

I ran Check3D.exe and looked at the .txt detailed log file - It sure would be nice to have some documentation to interpret the results! Then I rolled back the GFX card drivers to 169.21.

In both driver versions Check3D reported the (newer?) nVidia dll 'was not qualified'. Check3D results for the latest driver produced many results "32.3 % off" whereas the earlier 169 driver produced the same results as 0.3% or lower and fewer 'Showstoppers' (?). On the basis of what Check3D reports and if lower numbers are better, I might assume that the earlier driver was more accurate?

The Check3D detailed report seems a good way to compare cards, since there are numbers in the results which I think are crude 'goodness' factors which we could compare. My version of Check3D was produced in August 2007 so I don't know whether worse numbers reported for my latest drivers on the same card mean worse incompatibility with Studio, or whether it's incompatibility of newer drivers with Check3D.Confused

My card 'Works' but is Check3D telling me that colors with later drivers may not be so accurate after rendering in Studio?

•  05-26-2008, 7:08 183755 in reply to 183694

Re: Betreft: Which Graphics Cards Work? Which Don't? Please Add Your Experiences!

The question that has been crossing my mind lately: 

"Is the Check3D test accurate and reliable?"

On my old system (7900GTX), the test would not run to completion or give a full  report.  Yet I never noticed a problem with the card.

On my new system (8800GT), the test runs to completion but reports many errors, one serious.  I have not used it much yet, but so far have seen no problems.

Both cards pass both video tests in dxdiag and on the ProDad? site.

So, is Check3D the 'be all and end all" of gpu tests?  We sure seem to rely heavily on it in this forum. 

Or, is Check3D just another application that is prone to its own bugs.  For instance, when it reports the gpu is "newer than qualified" and then reports errors during verification, does this really mean the gpu is too new to have been tested on Check3D prior to release and that the verification report is thus potentially wrong or even meaningless?  Or does a reinstall of Studio and Check3D (ISTR someone mentioning this once as a fix but may be I am wrong) change the results of the test like maybe the initial installation had a problem?

•  05-26-2008, 7:28 183760 in reply to 183694

Back in the "day" of Pinnacle Edition, ATI 8500 card was used for the breakout box. Edition was tied to ATI for playback and was one of the first editors to use a GPU. A great idea. Off loads processing from the CPU. ATI and Pinnacle worked together to optimize the use of ATI cards with Edition (now Avid Liquid). Since then, others have taken up the "cause" of using a video cards GPU. Adobe After Effects to name one. Matrox has their own "accelerator" cards as others.

I have read with great interest this thread considering that Studio 11 has the "backbone" of Liquid. And with Liquid, the recommended video cards have always been ATI, although there have been some success with nVidia. But with Liquid, there is no Vista support (officially) or DX10 support, hence, leaving "us" to wait for a patch.

All video cards meet a certain "spec" to be used with Windows as a display device. For the other "tweaks and check marks", that is up to the vendors. Why does nVidia play certain games better than ATI or vice a versa? Can't answer that.  

Video Card: ATI X800XT  drivers 6.14.10.6727

Studio Version: S11 Ultimate 11.1.2

•  05-26-2008, 8:02 183786 in reply to 183755

patndave:

The question that has been crossing my mind lately: 

So, is Check3D the 'be all and end all" of gpu tests?  We sure seem to rely heavily on it in this forum. 

What you said is going through my mind too. Either Check3D is no good anymore and puts up false reports with newer cards and drivers, or the results are true and these newer devices and drivers are moving further away from Studio compatibility. Is that the reason why some cards have problems and some don't?

Has anybody ever run Check3D and had it report a 'Qualified Driver' - if so what card vendor and what driver? If every Check3D test passed or had small % results that might be a card to buy. But if it was an early model it might not now be available, particularly as fast multi display graphics is going SLI. I bet that setup doesn't qualify!

I know some manufacturers have their hardware and drivers 'Windows Certified'  and I'd like to think this helps software to be more compatible with 3rd party vendor products - but does it?

•  05-26-2008, 8:37 183817 in reply to 183786

I don't think that a "Qualified Driver" is available, unless it's a rather old one. I suspect that Pinnacle have included a "Data Base" of drivers in Check3D, and if they tested a card with driver ver. 1.1 and someone installed driver ver. 1.1.1 then they end up with the "Newer that qualified" message after the test.

My card passed every test according to Check3D, and dxdiag, but there are still a lot of users reporting problems using the same card on their systems. As I said in my post above, I've had no problems with Studio 11 - my problems are with Liquid 7.2 (and Pinnacle are said to be working on a solution to that one.)

Graphic card: ASUS 8800 GTS 768MB RAM.

•  05-26-2008, 8:38 183818 in reply to 183786

Voxmagna:
    Has anybody ever run Check3D and had it report a 'Qualified Driver' 
    No, they have always said "Newer than Qualified". I'm assuming that's what you mean.

patndave:
    Or does a reinstall of Studio and Check3D (ISTR someone mentioning this once as a fix but may be I am wrong) change the results of the test like maybe the initial installation had a problem?
    That would be me. The times I've not passed the test, a reinstall seemingly fixed the problem. I've always thought the install process was a bit problematic, but that a different subject. But I do subscribe to the fact that a re-install can change the results of the check3dtest.

I've had 2 systems running S11, and upon valid installs get the passing tests. Here are the results.

PNY Nvidia FX 6200 256 Mb

EVGA Nvidia 7900 GT 256 Mb

•  05-26-2008, 9:01 183827 in reply to 183755

NopeWink

I don't have any ShowStoppers, but I still get "Serious Errors have occurred, have occured."Big Smile

As I recall there have been 2 versions. The 1st (which I have) was considered  a  joke by many when S10 was 1st released  & most of us didn't take any notice of the results. There were/are? a number of Posts in the old Forum regarding that. There were a number of occassions when subsequent tests showed different results.

All I know is that my ATI X600 PCIe performs ok without any obvious probs & works ok with Heroglyph & iClone (Except for "Drop Shadow"), both of which are Graphics Card intensive Progs.  

•  05-26-2008, 11:45 183907 in reply to 183818

towbar:

patndave:
    Or does a reinstall of Studio and Check3D (ISTR someone mentioning this once as a fix but may be I am wrong) change the results of the test like maybe the initial installation had a problem?
    That would be me. The times I've not passed the test, a reinstall seemingly fixed the problem. I've always thought the install process was a bit problematic, but that a different subject. But I do subscribe to the fact that a re-install can change the results of the check3dtest.

Now re-installing I can understand because I've discovered other instances where Studio learns hardware, or Firmware at first install, puts the data in its 'secret' files, locations and registry, but when you change something later on, you can see that it hasn't re-scanned at reboot and the data it holds relates to your previous setup.

Advice must be, change anything, install new firmware, BIOS upgrade etc and you must re-install Studio. What a pain.

•  05-28-2008, 21:10 185346 in reply to 183907

HI,

I am new to Pinnacle forum and to the products. I was told many times in the past about Pinnacle software and more. Even by one friend at CNBC. I got a brand new computer as a gift May 16th, 2008. Was given to me for a reason. So I get back into video editing.

When I read the specs on all moviebox and studio software. It mentions ATI Radeon 9600 and higher. Then I read in here that the card I have is working fine with Pinnacle.

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512 meg video memory

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 ghz

2 gig of memory

160 gig hard drive ATA at 7200 rpm

Windows Vista Business (no sp1)

CD / DVD drive

USB 1.0 and USB 2.0

SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio

Will the moviebox and or other Pinnacle packages will work with my computer.

Thanks ahead of time!!

ENJOY YOUR WEEK!!

Bike Mike from NJ, USA

•  05-29-2008, 3:44 185548 in reply to 183760

Tony P 

Found your post interesting - thanks.    I have the ATI X850XT, same driver as you.   I am still on S10.7 for SD.   As I want to upgrade to S11 (maybe S12) for use with HD I was just wondering, as it is not clear from your post, are you using S11 for SD or HD?

•  05-29-2008, 5:12 185584 in reply to 175405

Card:  MSI RX2600Pro AGP 512mb (ATI Radeon HD2600) DX10, HD

Operating System:  XP Pro  SP3

Studio Version:  Studio 11.1Ulitmate

Results: Some problems.

3D check seems to be OK except for system vailidation. Some 2D and Alpha magic transitions do not work. I had problems with the supplied driver and I had to use an ATI 'hot fix for AGP' driver to get the card working.

Also Vitascene complains that it is 'limited capable for GPU rendering' despite its 512mb, but it does work with Vitascene. I can't seem to find any BIOS setting (virtual aperature) on my PC that could fix that.

•  05-30-2008, 1:45 186071 in reply to 185584

Virtual Aperture setting caught my eye to and it's not in my BIOS.

I'm wondering if this is something that only appears with on-board GFX, not with 3rd part cards.

Page 2 of 5 (114 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy