Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

MC Impressions

Last post 03-07-2012, 10:32 by simonbaker. 749 replies.
Page 2 of 30 (750 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-04-2008, 16:02 261440 in reply to 261438

Re: MC Impressions

dew:
    I might as well ask my question here. Is there a delete before and after playline in MC or did I overlook it?  I really like this feature as I can remove unwanted footage without using the razor tool.
    Yes, it is also in the Command Palette (edit tab). It's called Top and Tail.

But be aware, it will deletes everything before or after the playline if all tracks are selected. So, just select the tracks that you need. Or cut the track with the add edit tool to avoid cutting the longest track.

If you don't want that, you can use mark in/out and Lift or Extract. But it's not the same thing.

•  12-04-2008, 16:19 261444 in reply to 261349

alan wells:

George,

About 12 months ago, Douglas Bruce moved across from Liquid to MC and he has produced a series of tutorials for Liquid users who migrated that are available here http://community.avid.com/forums/t/64628.aspx Scroll down the thread a wee bit and there about 50+ tutorials that are worth watching for new Liquid to MC users.

Now Douglas doesn't have the best of 'voice-overs' in the world, but he knows his stuff and to my untutored eye, he has produced among the best movies in terms of quality and subject that I have ever seen, not just on these boards, but anywhere!!!

I agree Alan, MC's gain was Liquid's loss but I feel Douglas is still a friend of ours. Smile

•  12-05-2008, 11:19 261771 in reply to 261444

Backups:

While I am not there yet,

for backups I save what is inside shared projects (in which folder there are the user settings as well) if the project is shared and then the Attic folder which are the back ups for the bins. Then you have to take a backup of the Avid Media Files.

Now how you relink them to another computer I don't know yet. I haven't tried it.

I am not sure if the User Settings inside the project folder are the same with what is inside the Avid Users Settings?

Title Tool:

While is very easy tool, an annoying thing for me is that when you redit a title this title is saved by default in the first bin created.

Unless you save it as save as again. But the title at timeline is being updated automatic.

While is a very fast title tool, TD Pro is even faster even if it is more sophisticated.

•  12-05-2008, 13:22 261807 in reply to 261771

- For backups, I know that you can simply, in your Avid Projects, use the command File / Open bins. This will open the bins in the Other bins folder.

After that, you can copy the bins from the Other bins folder to a new folder in your project.

There is also a Relinking clips command. It's Clip > Relink   or  right click on a clip in a bin > relink

- For other people that are still looking for the Selet Left and Right tool. Here is a tutorial made by Douglas.

2 New Buttons in MC 3.0.5 Tutorial

•  12-05-2008, 13:45 261814 in reply to 261807

It seems that Avid learns from Liquid engineers. This is good news.

Let's hope the background rendring and Instant Save will be carried on on MC.

The backup I propose is more accurate. Attic folder is essential to be backed up.

It contains all the versions of bins within a project.

•  12-05-2008, 13:53 261820 in reply to 261814

Yes, I hope the implement Instant Save and background rendering.

At least, MC has an Auto-Save setting in the Bin Settings.

The Attic folder is useful if you get corrupted bins.

•  12-05-2008, 16:15 261910 in reply to 261820

I was trying to find how can you combine 2 effects in the same clip.

If you want to do so, before you drag the 2nd effect on the video that has one effect you have to hold ALT.

Otherwise the new effect will overwrite the old one...

•  12-05-2008, 16:37 261919 in reply to 261910

I think MC lacks the smart renderer that many if not all NLE's have.

If for example all effects are rendered and there are 2 new audio dissolves added and the user selects all tracks and try to render,

MC will rerender everything.

•  12-05-2008, 23:31 261988 in reply to 261910

sverkalo:

I was trying to find how can you combine 2 effects in the same clip.

If you want to do so, before you drag the 2nd effect on the video that has one effect you have to hold ALT.

Otherwise the new effect will overwrite the old one...

You can also double click on the clip that already has an effect applied. It will open a sub track. On that track, you can apply the second effect.

Repeat that again for other effects.

About Select Left and Right tools, I didn't saw that you had MC3.0, not 3.0.5. And it's good to learn that it's a new feature in 3.0.5. I just look again the ReadMe, and yes, it's there. I just installed 3.0.5 from the beginning.

•  12-06-2008, 4:52 262048 in reply to 261988

MC can't capture from my HV30 25p footage when the project is set to 1080p/25.

This means that Canon HV30 as some Sony models DOESN'T output 25p but 50i.

At the output the signal is processed like interlaced.

Anyway the big gain is that you have 2 to 3 f/stops when you shoot at 25p.

If I select at capture V and A1 A2 but there is no sound at that clip I am capturing the capture fails.

Something else is that it's true that MC's media management is EXCELLENT.

So simple and so powerful.

•  12-06-2008, 9:54 262142 in reply to 262048

Isn't it something how opinions change?
  •  12-06-2008, 11:29 262160 in reply to 262048

sverkalo:

MC can't capture from my HV30 25p footage when the project is set to 1080p/25.

This means that Canon HV30 as some Sony models DOESN'T output 25p but 50i.

At the output the signal is processed like interlaced.

All HV series cameras are this way. They do not output pure 25p (or 24p) but instead wrap it in a 50i (or60i) container. In order to get at the 25p you must first remove the pull down. This leads to a slight further complication in that the HV series camera does not internally "flag" its progressive shots so you have to use a capture program that "senses" the video as opposed to one that simply looks for flags. Cineform Neo will do this but I am not sure its files are compatible with MC. I know they are not with Liquid but they are with both PP and Vegas. Hold on to your shorts though, because cineform Neo is NOT cheap! There are some freeware ways of doing it but I can't help you with that because I use Neo. You can visit HV20.com for some instruction on the freeware method.

•  12-06-2008, 13:55 262196 in reply to 262160

Yes but MC says that it supports 25p from HDV.

It is stated on the features of the product out of the package.

"Additional HD codec support, such as Sony XDCAM-EX (using the Sony Clip Browser software),

Panasonic AVC-I & JVC 23.976p & 25p HDV ."

•  12-06-2008, 15:32 262222 in reply to 262196

sverkalo:

Yes but MC says that it supports 25p from HDV.

You don't understand. This is not a MC problem. This is a Canon problem. Vegas supports 25p as well but the same thing happens with it. It will not capture as 25p. Instead it captures as 50i. That is because the canon camera adds pull down on the output. It's a consumer camera so it is built to work on any TV you connect it to, and that includes older interlaced TV's. The pull down is added to the 25p WITHIN the camera so it comes out as 50i.

I suspect MC is similar to Vegas in respect that it looks for pulldown flags in the video stream. But the Canon HV cams do not flag  the pulldown so it is not noticed and the video is accepted as 50i.

When the HV20 came out, an email was actually sent to Canon asking why they did not include pull down flags in their video stream, and their response was that it was a consumer camcorder and therefore they didn't feel the need and further more, they would not be flagging the pulldown even on future cams

•  12-06-2008, 15:35 262223 in reply to 262196

If I add a PIP clip above another clip it's easy to manipulate it but there is no way that you can keyframe it as to opacity.

I mean 10 frames with zero opacity then the PIP appears, it plays and 10 frames before it ends it disappears again.

It's easy to do with an Easy dissolve or a plain one at start and at the end.

But even if you promote it to Warp 3D while you are in PIP, there are a tone of options but not one for opacity.

Or it is too easy and I can't see it.

•  12-06-2008, 17:40 262240 in reply to 262223

While perhaps mildy interesting to we Liquidians, shouldn't this thread be over on the MC forum?  When we get the Studio questions we immediately suggest they take their question to the studio forum...I think George's slow change of opinion is something, but wrong forum.
  •  12-06-2008, 18:11 262247 in reply to 262240

You're absolutely right, Tim.  When I, as a forum moderator, was trying a few months ago to give Liquid users all the information they would need to decide whether to take advantage of the upgrade, I got nothing but complaints from George who said that information had no business being here.  He repeatedly posted information which was wrong, much as he still does when it comes to MC.  Now, when the information really doesn't have a place here, he thinks it's fine.

Questions about how to use MC don't belong here and do belong on the Avid Media Composer forum.

I guess these days, though, the folks here will take any posts they can get.  Sad   That's still no reason to post those MC questions here.

•  12-06-2008, 19:07 262253 in reply to 262247

Considering what the next months will bring as far as Liquid topics, any and all Liquid vs MC posts should be accepted as relevant. I find the general topics header broad enough to cover conversations such as this one.
  •  12-06-2008, 22:57 262281 in reply to 262253

TVJohn:
    Considering what the next months will bring as far as Liquid topics, any and all Liquid vs MC posts should be accepted as relevant. I find the general topics header broad enough to cover conversations such as this one.
    I agree with this post.

This is a post from Liquid users that are using MC.  Some of the questions ( I agree, not all!) are related to features found in Liquid vs how to do the same in MC.

I agree that this thread can also belong in the MC forum. But the answers but some of the answers will probably be differents.

•  12-06-2008, 23:28 262284 in reply to 262281

As I will not comment on some people that once were my friends because I find them not serious and fake that don't have a real opinion

but they want to steal from other people's energy.

I will add that this is not a thread from an MC user point of view. This is a thread for some Impressions and only from a LIQUID's user POV.

You seem to forget that I was the best supporter of Liquid in times that many of the forum visitors were just sitting in front of their monitors

watching me fighting for Liquid's existence over other NLE's.

I was and still am for some a blind over some things that I don't want to see but as an artist and in my private life I was never like that and I am not.

Life is like that and I must accept it. That some people likes you and some don't. Pretending I am something else than what I believe it's fake.

I don't curse, I am in off topic forum and those who don't like what I write or what I say, they shouldn't be here.

What some must understand is that especially my point of view on this matter is true and FRESH.

I have written for more than 4-5 years my AL Diary which was an impression of Liquid.

When Next Gen comes out I will probably write for this.

Go on and do the same or add at mine if you like. 

This is communication.

•  12-06-2008, 23:56 262286 in reply to 262284

I don't understand why people need to be so petty about this??? What's even worse is that some people even took the time to write a complaint about it. Are you that bored with your life???  This is a good thread that contains some great information and I was getting a kick out of reading it. The topic of the thread is very clear. For those who are not interested in it then the answer is very simple DON'T READ IT.
  •  12-06-2008, 23:58 262287 in reply to 262247

Scott Myers:

When I, as a forum moderator,

That was then, and this is now. Get over it. 

•  12-07-2008, 7:25 262366 in reply to 262286

BobSanders:
    I don't understand why people need to be so petty about this??? What's even worse is that some people even took the time to write a complaint about it. Are you that bored with your life???  This is a good thread that contains some great information and I was getting a kick out of reading it. The topic of the thread is very clear. For those who are not interested in it then the answer is very simple DON'T READ IT.

You take the time to write your complaint(s) yet others who do same are petty, bored with life.  Hmm

Get over it!!!!

•  12-07-2008, 7:44 262375 in reply to 262287

George, please keep your experiences coming...as there will be nothing "new" as far as Liquid developments and advancements, the day will come for many, that they will have to make a judgement as to where they will spend their money and, more importantly, their time familiarizing them selves, businesses, and employees on new ( for Them) software.

The "all new" concept of the "NextGen" product certainly might be a difficult concept for any business or Individual that is editing for profit. "Hit the ground running" is important as far as outputting work at least as fast as working with the previous product. A business wants to see a track record of value and stability before investing. Witness the slow adoption of Windows Vista...business ask, how will it help me be more productive, with less overhead?

I think Avid would have been better served by releasing MC without of some of the bundled applications that some individuals and business already own, the advantage, would have been that MC would see a wider distribution and more people might then see the value firsthand and buy-in to the additional apps as they needed.

The "all-new" is not likely to attract more than advanced hobbiests, Studio Grads, and the curious, especially in these economic times...

I welcome information and experience of Liquid people working with MC. We all have choices to make at some future date.

•  12-07-2008, 8:10 262382 in reply to 262253

TVJohn:
    Considering what the next months will bring as far as Liquid topics ...

John,

What are you referring to?  Did I miss an announcement about some impending doom in the next few months? Huh?

Page 2 of 30 (750 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy