Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Upgrade to Studio 11 without discs

Last post 05-19-2008, 17:24 by Marc P.. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-25-2008, 7:32 163966

Upgrade to Studio 11 without discs

Hello,

I want to upgrade from Studio 10 plus to Studio 11 plus; I purchased an upgrade key and downloaded the installation package (a whopping 2.3 GB). Now, when I run the upgrade installer it first informs me that I have a previous version of Studio installed (and suggests I remove it first), but when I decide to continue nonetheless, it tells me it can't find a previous version of Studio, and prompts me to insert the CD of the older version.

Problems is, I don't have a CD, and I never had.

I downloaded all Studio software, and purchased keys online. I started with the Studio 10.5 trial version as a download, then bought a key online which turned it into a full Studio 10 Plus package. I also downloaded and installed the various patches, up to 10.8.

Uninstalling Studio10 first didn't make a difference (well, it doesn't bother me with the comment that an older version is installed). I reinstalled Studio10, but still the same problem.

So please tell me how to proceed from here?

•  04-25-2008, 8:33 163987 in reply to 163966

Re: Upgrade to Studio 11 without discs

You'll need to get in touch with Customer Support, and they should be able to straighten this out.  It could take a bit, but it should be doable, especially as you're a previously-registered user of Studio 10.

(And it's always possible that one of the webboard moderators will intervene, here, and speed things up for you...)

BittMann 

Aside:  This is one of the reasons that, while I don't like "upgrades" (me preferring to get the full version each time), I *really* don't like the "no media upgrades"...

•  04-25-2008, 19:16 164229 in reply to 163966

What kind of Upgrade did you purchase? Was it for previous versions? Are you upgrading an upgraded 10? It would be best to get all your details to paper and contact support.
  •  04-27-2008, 14:14 164947 in reply to 164229

Marc P.:
    What kind of Upgrade did you purchase? Was it for previous versions?

Well, yes. Actually, I think that's kind of irrelevant, since I can't even get to the point of entering the new license codes.

Marc P.:
    Are you upgrading an upgraded 10?

Nope. As I wrote in my post, I started out with 10.5 Trial. That may be of signficance,  I don't know...

Marc P.:
    It would be best to get all your details to paper and contact support.

Will do; however, there is one question remaining: why does the setup program first tell me that a previous version of Studio is installed, then in the next phase tells me there isn't? Sounds like a bug to me.

•  04-29-2008, 16:37 166440 in reply to 164947

Responses in  bold italics

jvoosten:

Marc P.:
    Are you upgrading an upgraded 10?

Nope. As I wrote in my post, I started out with 10.5 Trial. That may be of signficance,  I don't know...

This maybe one cause.

Marc P.:
    It would be best to get all your details to paper and contact support.

Will do; however, there is one question remaining: why does the setup program first tell me that a previous version of Studio is installed, then in the next phase tells me there isn't? Sounds like a bug to me.

It sounds like a buggy installation of the Trial version which could not be picked up by the new installer properly. Do you have any full version (not an upgraded trial) installed or have an installer for it at least. If not. You may need to contact support for options and to clarify that you may have purchased a version that does not suit your needs as per previous versions are concerned. 

Work arounds:

1. Try reapplying the the 10.7 update.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall the Trial (if you still have a copy) then reinstall the 10.7 update.

•  05-06-2008, 14:53 170325 in reply to 166440

Marc P.:

<snip> 

1. Try reapplying the the 10.7 update.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall the Trial (if you still have a copy) then reinstall the 10.7 update.

Didn't work... Somehow there's a subtle difference in the setup of the Trial version, which renders it undetectable by the installer.

Anyway, I managed to borrow a CD with an old version of Studio from a colleague of mine. I popped it in the drive, entered the required serial numbers and Studio 11 is now installed on my system. I sincerely hope any future upgrades will be less troublesome...

BTW, I must say I'm not impressed by the responses by email from  Customer Support. Their response basicly was "Where did you get this download?", half-implying I bought an illegal version from a a different vendor (which I did not). After I explained it was from their own site, big silence...

•  05-06-2008, 19:12 170452 in reply to 170325

Thanks for the update. With this disc that you borrowed, was it a registered copy of a friend?

I must say I'm not impressed by the responses by email from  Customer Support. Their response basicly was "Where did you get this download?", half-implying I bought an illegal version from a a different vendor (which I did not). After I explained it was from their own site, big silence...

Im sure thats not what support wanted to imply, we need to be certain that we are supporting a product that has been registered with us. It is also to make sure that you are using a valid license.

Please accept my apologies for any possible unintentional implications.

•  05-19-2008, 11:55 179109 in reply to 170452

Marc P.:

Thanks for the update. With this disc that you borrowed, was it a registered copy of a friend?

I'm not sure he actually registered it, but it was a real disc, with serial number printed on it.

Marc P.:

I must say I'm not impressed by the responses by email from  Customer Support. Their response basicly was "Where did you get this download?", half-implying I bought an illegal version from a a different vendor (which I did not). After I explained it was from their own site, big silence...

Im sure thats not what support wanted to imply, we need to be certain that we are supporting a product that has been registered with us. It is also to make sure that you are using a valid license.

Please accept my apologies for any possible unintentional implications.

To follow up, today I received mail (both English and Dutch) that disc were on the way in the mail. Which came as a bit of pleasant surprise, so that's one happy customer :) 

(I think this topic can be closed now)

•  05-19-2008, 17:24 179479 in reply to 179109

I appreciate your update on this matter.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy