Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

Creating Video Shortcuts - What am I doing wrong?

Last post 07-26-2020, 21:11 by Candive. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (40 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-18-2020, 3:49 801802

Creating Video Shortcuts - What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I'm a new user of Pinnacle Studio 23 although I have experience with its little brother Videostudio.

I have a clip in a bin which I want to trim into a video "shortcut" before moving it to the timeline.I am aware that PS can automatically create scenes from larger clips but this specific scene/shortcut is much shorter.

1. I double click the clip to bring up the Corrections screen.
    2. I move the orange sliders into the appropriate positions
    3. I then save the clip as a shortcut.

When I go back to the Library Media/Videos to review the shortcut, it is exactly the same length as the original!

What step am I missing?

•  07-18-2020, 4:12 801803 in reply to 801802

Re:Creating Video Shortcuts - What am I doing wrong?

Hi and welcome to this forum.

Candive:

What step am I missing? 

Do not double-click the clip.

Simply highlight it and use the calipers underneath the preview window :

•  07-18-2020, 5:48 801805 in reply to 801803

Re: Re:Creating Video Shortcuts - What am I doing wrong?

Thank you Saby for your quick responseSmile

So you are suggesting not to enter the corrections screen, move the calipers and save the clip as a shortcut.

Rather, adjust the calipers in the source clip, move the clip to the timeline, then go back to the source clip, move the calipers to the next piece to cut, then move the clip to the time line etc.

So from the single source clip in this example, I build my clips on the timeline. Now is there a way of moving these clips back to the bin, so I can use them in another project rather than replicating the workflow again?  If not, what is the workaround?

•  07-18-2020, 6:47 801807 in reply to 801802

Re: Creating Video Shortcuts - What am I doing wrong?

Candive:

Hi,

I'm a new user of Pinnacle Studio 23 although I have experience with its little brother Videostudio.

I have a clip in a bin which I want to trim into a video "shortcut" before moving it to the timeline.I am aware that PS can automatically create scenes from larger clips but this specific scene/shortcut is much shorter.

1. I double click the clip to bring up the Corrections screen.
    2. I move the orange sliders into the appropriate positions
    3. I then save the clip as a shortcut.

When I go back to the Library Media/Videos to review the shortcut, it is exactly the same length as the original!

What step am I missing?

You have to return to the original and reset the calipers in the corrections editor. Then the clips will be different. However, I'm not sure that PS23 is completly bug free with shortcuts now, so you might be seeing unusual behaviour

There is no way of adding a timeline clip back into a bin as a shortcut. It's been a feature request of mine for years.

•  07-18-2020, 10:48 801811 in reply to 801807

Hi jjn, thanks for responding,

Prior to posting my question, I did search the forum to find the answer and I found your post which gave me the idea of using the Corrections screen. Granted, your answer was 5 years ago based on version 19 but I though I'd give it a try regardless.

http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/thread/697699.aspx

I just can't seem to get it to work in PS 23 and since the Library Media is part of the legacy system I suspect the programmers are paying less attention to it. Thanks for confirming that you can't copy a clip from the timeline to the bin or that you cannot copy and paste the same clip in a bin to make changes to the second copy prior to placing it on the timeline.

So in conclusion, In the Library, (and correct me if I am wrong);

1. Clips can be copied to different bins and collections but all these clips are linked. Any corrections/changes made to one will change the copies as well.
    2. The only way to split a clip into multiple scenes in the Library is only through the detect scene function.
    3. But once a clip or scene is copied from the Library to the Timeline, it can be copied and pasted on the same track and/or multiple tracks and each copy can be manipulated independently to the others.
    If the above assumptions are correct, I guess the advantage and rational for the Library limitation is to keep it relatively clean and structured although I'm a bit surprised.The main reason why I invested in this program was its flexible nature and the ability to control and fine tune all aspects of the video production.
    A good example is the timeline. You can throw anything on it and it will work rather than being restricted to a specific video track, overlay track, sound track, title track etc. I wish the same could be said for the Library. Wink  But to give credit, I do like the ability to create multiple bins and collections. I even like the legacy Library Media which can track specific directories and get updated automatically when you transfer your video files from your camera to your computer. :)

•  07-18-2020, 12:10 801816 in reply to 801811

Candive:

So in conclusion, In the Library, (and correct me if I am wrong);

1. Clips can be copied to different bins and collections but all these clips are linked. Any corrections/changes made to one will change the copies as well.

I'd rather say : an asset is unique in the database. You can sort it/place it in different places, but it's always the same.

Like the book called "My 2019 Christmas in Key West" could be found in several directories in your University Library :

• Christmas books
    • Islands books
    • Florida's books
    • 2019 books
    • Holiday books
    • etc, etc
    There is one single physical book in the library.
  •  07-18-2020, 12:22 801817 in reply to 801811

Before I answered you post, I did a short test in PS23 of saving shortcuts. I made four different edits from the same clip, saved as four different shortcuts, The apeared in the Library has four new shortcut clips, each with the correct In and Out points. I then reopened the original clip, Reset (not just dragged) the calipers to the start and end of the clip and closed the corrections editor. Now the original clip showed the whole footage.

So I'm not sure why you say it doesn't work, unless there is some sort of intermittent bug
    Candive:
    1. The only way to split a clip into multiple scenes in the Library is only through the detect scene function.

You can also manually spilt a clip into scenes in the Scenes editor, which has a split clip tool, then save the scenes as shortcuts.

•  07-18-2020, 12:31 801819 in reply to 801817

Hang on - are you looking in the right place for these shortcuts? They don't appear in the current bin, you have to look in a Library Media tab. Either but the clip on the tiemline and then use Find in Library, or enable watchfolders to activate the Library media section of the Library and look in the same place as the clip is stored.

Also, you have to add them to the timeline via the source viewer for the program to respect the calipers. If you add them stright from the library you will get the whole clip. I think thaty is what has changed in later versions of Studio.

•  07-18-2020, 22:29 801821 in reply to 801819

Hi jjn,

Just to confirm, i am looking in the right place. The shortcuts are appearing in the Library Media tab because I enabled the watch folders to reference the directory where the clip is stored.

I need some clarification on your workflow; you reopened the original clip, Reset (not just dragged) the calipers to the start and end of the clip and closed the corrections editor. Now the original clip showed the whole footage.

When you reset the calipers, were you in the Corrections editor or in the Source viewer? The Source viewer has an icon to clear mark in/mark out (or Shift - U) but this same icon does not appear in the Corrections editor. Can you clarify how you completed this step?

BTW thanks for your and Saby's patience and help with my basic questions. Smile 

•  07-18-2020, 23:35 801822 in reply to 801816

Hi Saby,

Thanks for the analogy. I like it. Smile This is applicable to a physical physical library, but we are working in a "virtual" library so we can do even more! Using your example, the University Library can be more refined for your virtual holiday book.

• Christmas Holidays in Warm Places - Chapter 1, Intro: Christmas in Key West; My 2019 Christmas in Key West.
    • Dining in Florida - Chapter 3, Where to Eat in the Keys; My 2019 Christmas in Key West.
    • Accommodation in Key West  - Chapter 5, Where to Stay in the Keys; My 2019 Christmas in Key West.
    • Scuba Diving in Florida - Chapter 8, Great Diving Locations in the Keys; My 2019 Christmas in Key West.
    A virtual library isn't/or shouldn't be constrained like a physical library. For example in PS, I may want to create a Collection of clips of my Great Uncle for the past 20 years. He may be 3 min in a 45 minute clip. I don't want to reference the 45 min, just the 3 min.

With today's cameras, we don't have this problem with long clips, because each "take" becomes a separate clip. This was not necessarily true if you took home movies on 8 mm tape.  I have tapes (now digital clips) that are 60 - 90 minutes long spanning a period of 6 to 12 months in some cases. This is where scenes/shortcuts and tags become important in the management of  video data. The library system in PS is excellent for my purpose, I just need to gain a better understanding of it to exploit it fully. I thought I would highlight this so you understood where I'm coming from and what I am trying to do with the system. Again thanks for your help.  
  •  07-19-2020, 4:18 801825 in reply to 801811

Attachment: shortcuts.jpg
    Candive:

I just can't seem to get it to work in PS 23 and

Could you summarise exactly what you can't get to work? We may be at cross purposes here - some of your questions may have been answered, some not answered and in some cases it isn't working for you how it is working for me.

I don't think it matters how you reset the caplipers of the master original clip to restore it to it's full length.  I have just used the Context menu option Revert to Original instead, and that works.

Note that the setting of In and Out points was probably seen as a secondary feature in corrections. Their main purpose was orginally to perform master corrections on whole files, and that's probably why the Mark In/Out controls aren't there, but keyboard shortcuts work.

I've just tested the system again; I created three trimmed shortcuts fro the sample footage, renamed the shortcuts and then added them into the same Bin as the origianl clip. The results are in the screenshot below.

In fact, the new shortcuts can be dragged from the Library directly to the timeline and retain their trims, it's only the original clip that behaves differently if it comes from the Library.

However, I definitly saw some anomolies earlier, and I'm starting to wonder if what you are seeing is source file related. I've done these tests with the sample footage, so could you see if you can't get shortcuts to work using that?

•  07-19-2020, 5:49 801828 in reply to 801825

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so a video must be worth a million. I've attached a link to a video demonstrating my workflow. I hope this helps:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkbXhziF2pP0pW6yZURfEdwWtm1J?e=stq6OD

•  07-19-2020, 6:20 801831 in reply to 801828

I've just copied your exact workflow and ended up with two trimmed shortcuts and the original file at its full lengh. (BTW, you microphone is very quiet :-) )

I can make a screen recording later but I have a few outstanding things to do at the moment.

This is wierd. A long shot, but if you have watch folders enabled, do you have the destination location set as a watchfolder?

•  07-19-2020, 8:17 801836 in reply to 801831

Hi jjn,

to confirm, I do have watch folders enabled and have my destination set as a watchfolder. 

I don't think its necessary for you to spend the time creating a video to prove it works on your system. I believe you. We just need to isolate the problem. Mine is a clean install, where I have only PS23. I believe you have a number of legacy versions on your system which may influence your version of PS23. When you upgraded to PS23, I'm sure some legacy files or registry entries were not overwritten so that the two programs can co-exist. It would be interesting to see if others get your result or my result.

Looking at Saby's comments; he appears to indicate that an asset has the same attribute regardless of location and if you change an attribute in one clip, all copies of that clip get updated with the same attribute. My system seems to agree with his assumption although you get a different result. Its probably some simple switch in the registry which the programmers turned off because they are planning to decommision the watch folders in a future version (hence legacy). The only thing I can do is reinstall the system to determine if it changes anything. I doubt it since I've only had the system installed for a week which is probably not enough time to mess it up. If you have any other suggestions or access to old patches I could try installing them. My version is 23.2.1.297.       

•  07-19-2020, 11:34 801843 in reply to 801836

Candive:

Hi jjn,

to confirm, I do have watch folders enabled and have my destination set as a watchfolder.

Ah, I don't. I have watch folders enabled but no watch folders set, so that I get to see Library Media but Studio isn't updating the library behind my back. This could be the reason - the shortcuts are getting overridden by the watchfolder operation, and although that a long shot, I think the idea that it's got something to do with the registy is also unlikely as I'm fairly sure the versions have been installed in chronological order.

I have a laptop that I can roll back to a clean install of Windows and then put just 23 on. I'll do that later today.

•  07-19-2020, 13:38 801845 in reply to 801843

Attachment: two shortcuts.jpg

Ok, rolled back my laptop tp a clean build of 2020 May update using a Windows system image. Installed build 23.2.1.297 from the Pinnacle server. It's the only piece of software on the computer.

Created two trimmed shortcuts from TSITL using the workflow you showed in your video

Both shortcuts are two shorter different clips, the original file is full lengh.

The mystery continues....

•  07-19-2020, 13:47 801847 in reply to 801845

To add a layer to the mystery : on my system, I observe weird results. Sometimes it works sometimes not and I can't say why or why not.

•  07-19-2020, 17:43 801850 in reply to 801847

saby:

To add a layer to the mystery : on my system, I observe weird results. Sometimes it works sometimes not and I can't say why or why not.

I'm really clutching at straws now to think of reasons why this is so variable.. Virus checkers? OneDrive?

I though I had seen anomolies before but put it down to my own workflow.

•  07-19-2020, 18:43 801852 in reply to 801850

jjn, thanks for taking the time to reinstall and test the system on another maching

So I deleted everything in the Library Media.I Reset in the control panel. I rebooted my machine. I then enabled Watchfolders but did not set up any links. I followed my workflow exactly the same as my video. I get the same result.

This is good because I'm consistent. Jin results are good because he is consistent on two machines. The results are different to mine but its something to work towards. Saby; that is odd.

Just an additional observation which I'm not worried about at this stage because the results are consistent. After creating the shortcuts, I then shorten the original clip in the bin. I go to the Library Media and pull each clip to the timeline from the Source Viewer.  Each clip is the exact same shorten clip like the original.  But if I pull the clips from the Library, the original clip is shortened while the two shortcuts are full length.

So the next step in this process of elimination is to confirm what version of Window's 10 do you have? Mine is  Version:1909 Build: 18363.959. There is a pending big update called 2004 which I have yet to install. 

I too have a laptop which I can install PS23 to determine if there are any differences. I'll do that later tonight after work and share the results.

•  07-20-2020, 2:06 801853 in reply to 801852

Candive:

This is good because I'm consistent. Jin results are good because he is consistent on two machines. The results are different to mine but its something to work towards. Saby; that is odd.

I'm not sure my results are consistent. As I said, I've seen some issues in the past which I didn't investigate in detail because when I tried to reproduce them, I couldn't

Just an additional observation which I'm not worried about at this stage because the results are consistent. After creating the shortcuts, I then shorten the original clip in the bin. I go to the Library Media and pull each clip to the timeline from the Source Viewer.  Each clip is the exact same shorten clip like the original.  But if I pull the clips from the Library, the original clip is shortened while the two shortcuts are full length.

I'll try that later today if I get time

So the next step in this process of elimination is to confirm what version of Window's 10 do you have? Mine is  Version:1909 Build: 18363.959. There is a pending big update called 2004 which I have yet to install.

My Desktop is still running 1903.18362.657. My laptop has been updated to 2004.19041.388

Both machines run Onedrive but I don't think it backs up the User Data (where the Library database is stored) in the same way as it backs up Documents. I don't have any aftermarket virus clutter, just Windows Security. Both have SSDs.

•  07-20-2020, 3:11 801856 in reply to 801853

The tests I made yesterday were achieved on a Win7 machine with no OneDrive.
  •  07-20-2020, 10:16 801859 in reply to 801856

Ok, so I decided to install PS23 on my laptop,   Version:1909 Build: 18363.959. Exact same build as my desktop. Went through the exact same workflow as per my video. The result is exactly the same as my desktop. I then upgraded my desktop to Version 204 Build 19041.388. Went through the exact same workflow as per my video - same result.

I cannot replicate jjns results.So I conducted the following two tests:

Test one: open Sky is the Limit in Corrections > Enhance > Change LUT Profile to Black and White; Save as shortcut. Then Change LUT Profile to Winter Bliss; save as shortcut. Exit Corrections; reset Sky is the Limit.

Go to Media Library; there are 3 clips - one original and two shortcuts with LUT changes.

Click on each clip and drag from the Source Player to timeline. Result - each shortcut reverts to original colour on the timeline. 

Click on each clip and drag from the Library to timeline. Result - each shortcut maintains its LUT correction. 

Test 2: In Media Library, in one shortcut only, change calipers to reduce duration of the shortcut.

Click on each clip and drag from the Source Player to timeline. Result - each shortcut reverts to original colour on the timeline but each clip (including the original)  is shortened by the calipers (even though only one shortcut was changed)

Click on each clip and drag from the Library to timeline. Result - each shortcut retains its LUT but duration reverts to the original.Only the original clip retains the shorten duration by the calipers when moved to the timeline.

I'm not sure where this leaves us. the PS23 user manual does not mention shortcuts. But does any previous manual mention shortcuts so I can use it as a reference as to how it was suppose to work. With this reference I can then go to Pinnacle Support and say hey its suppose to work this way but it doesn't!

Any other suggestion you would like me to try?

•  07-20-2020, 10:29 801860 in reply to 801859

Candive:
    I'm not sure where this leaves us. the PS23 user manual does not mention shortcuts

Any other suggestion you would like me to try?

Yes. Change your glasses.   Geeked

Page #26 of the .pdf English version of PS23 manual :

•  07-20-2020, 12:04 801861 in reply to 801860

Candive - I've sent you a private message
  •  07-21-2020, 10:33 801876 in reply to 801860

Hi Saby,

Thanks for sharing. I stand corrected and will get a new pair of glasses. Cool It says that shortcuts behave like ordinary assets. I not sure if that is necessarily true. It would be interesting though if other forum members would replicate my workflow I outlined in my video link above and post their results. We could then gather a consensus as to what the system is actually doing.  

Page 1 of 2 (40 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy