Forums
in > Search
Welcome to Pinnacle Systems - Forums Sign in | Join | Help

update/new version

Last post 02-21-2013, 1:14 by Skanter. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-15-2013, 11:38 579147

update/new version

when can we expect an update?

enough new features are mentioned, I think...

can't wait 

•  02-15-2013, 13:42 579172 in reply to 579147

Re: update/new version

I hope you get an answer, because this was hinted at before Christmas

Several of us have tried asking a similar question

I think the answer is probably 'we are only interested in the PC version'

I hope that I'm wrong Movie

•  02-15-2013, 16:18 579189 in reply to 579172

Yes. It would be interesting to know how these things work from the companies point of view. What are their priorities. I would think that the iPad app is probably a small side line compared to the "serious" and more expensive desktop apps. Still that's a pity because there is probably quite a bit of potential in the iPad version if you can pitch it right. Not everybody wants to go to the expense and trouble of desktop editing. Of course I don't expect the company to reveal their commercial priorities but it would be interesting.

These forums are also interesting. There are only rare and random "moderator" and even rarer "employee" responses. Some of the posts deserve a friendly response, especially those who are stuck with a major problem. It would just be nice to know that someone cared. Clearly the company must have more urgent commercial priorities than this humble little ipad forum but hey it's not very good public relations.

I'm not expecting a company response!

•  02-15-2013, 16:33 579195 in reply to 579189

This forum is basically a user forum with "supervision" from Corel employees, and there is only really one of those around at the moment. I don't even know if he has a iPad.

As a PC user, I don't even pretend to understand the economics of the iPad version  When they aren't giving it away, you are still only paying about $5, of which Apple get a big slice. So, what I suspect has happened is that they are making such a huge loss on the product that they are struggling to stay interested.

If you guys follow what is happening on the PC forums, you might see lots of issues with Corel's takeover of Pinnacle. I wouldn't bother moaning here, but contact Corel directly.

Most of us PC users are either long term, commited Pinnacle users or newbies with an issue. Either way, we have paid at least an order of magnitude more for the product, and we aren't happy with Corel's commitment or the exodus of Pinnacle staff either Wink

•  02-15-2013, 16:52 579198 in reply to 579195

Thanks for that. 

Mark 

•  02-16-2013, 1:45 579227 in reply to 579198

Jjn, thanks for giving us your perspective 

It's kinda what most of us thought would be the answer I'm sure, but hey it's a good app

so, Corel person without an ipad, if you're ever on here it would be interesting to hear what your view is 

•  02-16-2013, 3:58 579240 in reply to 579227

That's all it is, a perspective. I thoughly agree that anyone who pays for someting - how ever little - should get support. It's not as if you bought it off a one-man band app developer. Updates to fix serious bugs should also be exapected. Updates to add new features is going to depend on Corel's plans. If they aren't making a profit, particularly over the Christmas period, they might question spending more money on hiring staff to write the new code.

Don't think that I don't want the app to succeed. It should lead people to the PC app and drive sales. I even have an inkling that they might write a Mac version of the main software. If I though there was a big future for it I might even consider buying an iPad Smile

•  02-17-2013, 9:48 579395 in reply to 579240

jjn:

If I though there was a big future for it I might even consider buying an iPad Smile

Interesting comment. When I was shopping for my new Macbook Pro at the Apple store, one of the sales staff asked me what I wanted to do with the laptop. I explained some of my uses and he asked about video editing. I shared my experience with PS for iPad and told him how I thought it was the killer app for the iPad and would justify buying an iPad just to use the PS for iPad app. He was very interested in my comment and said he would check it out. Too bad this very promising app seems to have been pushed off Pinnacle's list of things to support.

•  02-17-2013, 13:54 579427 in reply to 579395

RedRyder:

I shared my experience with PS for iPad and told him how I thought it was the killer app for the iPad and would justify buying an iPad just to use the PS for iPad app.

Well I'm inclined to agree  but it's probably not a mainstream view. The real advantage of an iPad is that it is incredibly portable and therefore convenient and comfortable to use rather than being parked at a desktop/laptop and you can do such an amazing number of things with it.

From a video point of view the app is great for quick and relatively easy movies that are still thought out. I doubt that someone who spends weeks staying up to the wee hours working on their masterpiece would be satisfied though. Still there's a lot to be said for quick production, especially for the enthusiast, and potentially there are lots of us aren't there? 

•  02-18-2013, 3:12 579521 in reply to 579427

MarkNZL:
    RedRyder:

I shared my experience with PS for iPad and told him how I thought it was the killer app for the iPad and would justify buying an iPad just to use the PS for iPad app.

Well I'm inclined to agree  but it's probably not a mainstream view. The real advantage of an iPad is that it is incredibly portable and therefore convenient and comfortable to use rather than being parked at a desktop/laptop and you can do such an amazing number of things with it.

From a video point of view the app is great for quick and relatively easy movies that are still thought out. I doubt that someone who spends weeks staying up to the wee hours working on their masterpiece would be satisfied though. Still there's a lot to be said for quick production, especially for the enthusiast, and potentially there are lots of us aren't there? 

I am an experienced video producer and editor, and my wife is an extremely talented movement artist who I have collaborated with on many dance/video projects. We have won several awards and grants from the National Endowment for thr Arts. She has taken to the iPad app and can now edit by herself indepently. I'm sure there are many others who would get great value out of a comprehensive iPad video editing app. This app is a great start, but will it continue to flourish, or just be left for dead?

•  02-18-2013, 4:11 579533 in reply to 579521

It would be interesting to know what other people do with the app too.
  •  02-18-2013, 11:40 579586 in reply to 579533

I just use it to make 'holidays and days out' videos

But I ditched the PC version because it's just so easy - the PC version is better but I'm just too lazy to boot up the PC

•  02-18-2013, 16:38 579627 in reply to 579521

Skanter:
    MarkNZL:
    RedRyder:

I am an experienced video producer and editor, and my wife is an extremely talented movement artist who I have collaborated with on many dance/video projects. We have won several awards and grants from the National Endowment for thr Arts. She has taken to the iPad app and can now edit by herself indepently. I'm sure there are many others who would get great value out of a comprehensive iPad video editing app. This app is a great start, but will it continue to flourish, or just be left for dead?

I'm interested if you use the app only to edit iPad/iPhone originated video -- or if you're somehow importing, including,  and editing externally originated video ??

•  02-18-2013, 18:04 579643 in reply to 579627

Barye

From the product description 

Access media from external devices on your iPad via a Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)

Be interesting to know how much video can be imported though.

•  02-18-2013, 18:19 579644 in reply to 579643

presumably not much -- though the new 128gb pad has decent storage

I want to know if it can handle 17Mbit footage ??

Or must it be down converted to a less demanding format ?? 

•  02-18-2013, 20:01 579661 in reply to 579627

I import using the camera connection kit from both Panasonic and Canon cameras. The video has to be MP4 to be ipad compatable as opposed to say AVCHD but the quality is very good. Actually I think imovie for ipad gives a slightly better output but its hard to tell.  (I only ever view it on  an iPad retina and it is beautiful) The amount you import is presumably limited by the iPad memory. I don't know numbers but I've probably  imported up to say an hour and a half of video (mostly 10 second shots). That at least was no problem.
  •  02-18-2013, 21:11 579665 in reply to 579661

what is the  workflow -- can you transfer from a PC to the iPad ??

Either via Windows File Explorer, or importing via iTunes ?? 

Or must you transfer using the camera  ??

And the connection kit -- what is it, an  SD card adapter ?? how much does it cost ??

•  02-18-2013, 21:28 579668 in reply to 579665

BARYE:

what is the  workflow -- can you transfer from a PC to the iPad ??

Either via Windows File Explorer, or importing via iTunes ?? 

Or must you transfer using the camera  ??

And the connection kit -- what is it, an  SD card adapter ?? how much does it cost ?? 

Not too sure about your questions since I hardly need to use a desktop these days but I think ...

you can transfer videos via iTunes no problem but probably not Windows file explorer. However there may be another app that does this? Eg Dropbox?  PS will import from ipad photos but can't import via copy and paste I think so an import would have to be into ipad photos.

The camera connection kit is a USB connector for the camera  (and sd cards I think). It didn't cost a lot. You could look it up. I believe they have also been used to connect other USB devices. 

Hope this helps. 

•  02-18-2013, 23:24 579681 in reply to 579668

I have a jail broken iPad 3 64gb and here are a couple of videos I produced with PS and my clients never knew. 

https://vimeo.com/59741058

https://vimeo.com/59547832

https://vimeo.com/56708099

I am trying to do as much as i can on my iPad since my deliverables are always mp4 files. I also use Photoshop Touch for graphics and lower thirds and Videograde for color correction, which I think it works better than the color corrector in FCP and it definitely renders waay faster. 

I always export a clean edit (no music, fades, or graphics) for archiving or if I need to change something later.  

•  02-19-2013, 5:41 579720 in reply to 579681

Damont03:

I have a jail broken iPad 3 64gb and here are a couple of videos I produced with PS and my clients never knew. 

https://vimeo.com/59741058

https://vimeo.com/59547832

https://vimeo.com/56708099

I am trying to do as much as i can on my iPad since my deliverables are always mp4 files. I also use Photoshop Touch for graphics and lower thirds and Videograde for color correction, which I think it works better than the color corrector in FCP and it definitely renders waay faster. 

I always export a clean edit (no music, fades, or graphics) for archiving or if I need to change something later.  

impressive stuff -- especially as they're produced on an iPad

What was the original footage shot with -- the camera, format, etc -- what are the specifics of the format of the mp4 conversion

Any description of your work flow would to me, be interesting  --  the edit, the efx, music, titles, etc

•  02-19-2013, 13:03 579807 in reply to 579681

Yes please. Do you preselect  and edit clips for example before using PS? Eg run them through Videograde.  I would like to trim my footage before using PS but ios won't let me trim imported clips in Photos (it freezes) and unfortunately you can't trim in Videograde. Selecting from lots of clips is awkward in PS.
  •  02-19-2013, 19:28 579868 in reply to 579807

I see you can upload to BOX so could sync either way with S16 on the desktop.
  •  02-20-2013, 21:51 580175 in reply to 579868

I shoot 1920 x 1080 24p. I use a T2i and the camera connection kit. I usually have an idea of how I want to put the video together. In the case of the Ed Stone video I put all of his speaking clips together then export it to the camera roll. Then I create a new project and import the video I just exported then slice the video and drop in my broll accordingly using picture in picture. PS won't let you create movement with stills in picture in picture so I create that still movement in iMovie and export the video. That video is then imported into PS. Also in his video to make the volume increase at the end over the graphic, I used the same song on two different audio layers. I then cut everything except the last 5 seconds on one and only the last 5 seconds on the other then used the fade controls. 

I usually use Videograde before editing. Most of my clips are under 30 seconds so I don't trim them. In Photoshop Touch I have a 1920x1080 blank file that I use for creating my lower thirds and graphics.  

•  02-20-2013, 21:56 580176 in reply to 580175

Oh and I export to Vimeo using the Vimeo app. If I need to convert the file I do this online at http://www.online-convert.com/

Having a jail broken iPad I can upload and download from Safari. Using iFile I can then save the newly converted file to the camera roll.  

•  02-20-2013, 22:58 580185 in reply to 580176

Thank you Damont. Your posts were very helpful. I have sometimes preassembled clips and the re-edited but wondered whether there might be a slight loss of quality.

It would be good to hear from others too on their  workflow.

Mark 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
Copyright © 2012 Corel, Inc.. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy